HONEST CHALLENGE, AND POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT

Pages: first prev 1234 last
I think far too much work would go into the dynamic elements of the battle system that could go elsewhere. Especially in an RPG, which is the most common game type in this community.

I mean, just consider how many games actually get finished. Should one person, or even a small group of people, really be trying to solve the difficulty problem that is inherent with (all) games instead of focusing on more important things? I think if you consider all the work involved that would have to go into a dynamic difficulty syste, the result will end up rather insignificant when the work is all said and done. And by then, the creator might very well have burned themselves out!

Just...focus on more important things first, folks! Game creation is something even large companies fail at on a regular basis, with dozens or hundreds of people more talented than you working on it. And dynamic difficulty curves are only successful half the time as it is, and are probably somewhat rare for that reason.

Just make a difficulty selection. And even that's a pain in the ass to properly make.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Karsuman link=topic=3052.msg61044#msg61044 date=1234201616
Just make a difficulty selection. And even that's a pain in the ass to properly make.

rmvx
author=Craze link=topic=3052.msg61045#msg61045 date=1234204403

rmvx

encounter wrapper

trueEncounterID = encounterID + (difficultyLevel * difficultyEncounterOffset)

I'd spend more time propogating enemy data (not even programming harder enemies, assuming rm2k because propogation is no problem with anything with teeth) than making difficulty selection. Making it dynamic isn't a much bigger step (hey there's an extra dead character after that last encounter maybe I should reduce the level gauge). Specifying what counts as the player getting their ass kicked is the only possible difficult part of the whole system.
Just...focus on more important things first, folks!
An enjoyable experience isn't the most important thing a game can aim for?
I've always liked the alternative method of "This way is easier, with less reward, and this way is harder, with greater reward!" It works pretty well if you ask me. Luckily enough, the RM game I have in the works will have next to NO battles, and will NOT be focused on grinding because of such.

How you ask? Har har har har har! You shall never know!

Well, until it's released...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Shadowtext, did you read Karsu's post at all? He'd rather that you had an experience to do something with than a half-baked OMGSYSTEM.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Karsuman link=topic=3052.msg60089#msg60089 date=1233568083
Also, SHORTEN YOUR POSTS. Especially when your point can be condensed into a paragraph. No one wants to read a novel-length post.

But I'm someone...

author=Max McGee link=topic=3052.msg60192#msg60192 date=1233618076
save points should be plentiful, and located AFTER long cutscenes. But it should be at least POSSIBLE to die.

Damn straight.

EDIT: Something just occurred to me. Maybe giving player who get their ass handed to them a concession, maybe in the game over screen or such?

Quick draft of such:

Maybe making them specific to a monstergroup as well?
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=3052.msg61676#msg61676 date=1234560339

I LOL'd.

It's a pretty cool idea, but I'd give people the option to see the strategy. Some people like to find things out on their own as their means of overcoming a challenge.
Pages: first prev 1234 last