TOP TEN TOPIC: NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Pages: first 12 next last
It's Top Ten Topic time again, people.

This time the Top 10 topic deals with the console that single-handedly destroyed hundreds of thousands of kids ability to form meaningly and constructive social relationships. Also, saved the video game industry!

Most of you are probably too young to have played an NES, but I don't care. Throw together a list anyways. These are the games that defined the entire Nintendo franchise - your Donkey Kongs, your Marios, your Links, you Samus Arans, your Kid Icaruses.

I got the NES bundled with Super Mario Bros. Duck Hunt wasn't even released yet.

Here's wikipedia to my rescue once again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NES_games

..:: Top 10 List of Favorite NES Games ::..

10. M.C. Kids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.C._Kids
Yeah, yeah...of all the games that I could've chosen, I choose the game set in McDonaldland. Say what you will, but this game is really fun. Video game critics often accused it of copying from other games (particularly from Super Mario Bros. 3), and the game was far too difficult to be marketed for a younger videogame audience. Like that's a bad thing.

9. Kid Icarus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus
This is a kickass game. And damn hard when you are 7 years old. You play as Pit, the fallen angel in Angeland. Your goal is to kill Medusa. Pit can run and jump, shoot arrows, upgrade his equipment (and health meter), summon allies, and use items in this platformer. (This game also had a New Game+ mode - Chrono Trigger eat your heart out!)

8. Adventure Island 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Island_3
Master Higgins (which I maintain should be a Super Smash Bros. playable character) is at it again! This island native rides a variety dinosaurs as you make your way through this fun platformer. You should try it out if you get the chance.

7. Mega Man 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_3
This was the first Megaman I really got into. I probably would've gotten into Megaman with the first game if that gawd-awful cover of the first game didn't turn me off so much whenever my dad took me to the video store to rent games on 2-for-1 Games Wednesday. Megaman 2 and 4 are also awesome.
Fuck that is an ugly box.

6. Ducktales
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckTales_(video_game)
Scrooge McDuck on a pogostick cane? Awesome.

5. Super Dodge Ball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dodge_Ball
This game is one of the best sports games ever made. Warping glowing dodgeballs pummeled the opposition, often sending them into the stratosphere! A full game takes less than an hour. Get a ROM and try this bad boy out. Sam rules.

4. Super Mario Bros. 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2
A big departure from any other Mario game, really, but a hella-lot of fun. (I seem to be saying 'fun' a lot - the NES was known for that). Toad is awesome, and will be in SSBB, you'll see.

3. Dragon Warrior IV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_IV
This game is pretty much the first console RPG to have a main villain with a purpose. Necrosaro is so badass. It's the Dragon Warrior games that set the standard for other RPGs to be "cliche".
The Hero was living in a calm village with his family, but his town was finally discovered by Necrosaro. In an assault of monsters, the hero's best friend used her transform magic to disguise herself as the hero and sacrificed herself to the army so as to fool them into thinking that the real hero was dead.
See?

2. Dragon Warrior III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_III
No one saw this one coming. This game is so awesome the Japanese gov't forbade the sale of future DQ games to occur on weekdays. It is the best selling game of the series (if you count remakes - the Gameboy Color one is pretty good. It adds a new class.)

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3
Gaming perfection. Best platformer ever. They made a fucking movie based on kids playing this game.

This game went on to come second place in GameSpy's Title Fight, a user driven tournament to discover the gamer's favorite game. http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/brackets.shtml. The reason why this tournament has merit is because Chrono Trigger beat out Final Fantasy VII in the first round, meaning that the voters have good taste.

Play the original, or one of the many remakes. Seriously, if you haven't beaten this game, you need to soon (or I will ban you).

Honorable Mentions:
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
Rollerball
Karnov
Megaman 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Power Blade
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior II
Ducktales II

Previous Top Ten Topics:
Week 5: Top 10 Favorite NES Games
Week 4: Top 10 Favorite Comic Strips
Week 3: Top 10 Favorite TV Shows
Week 2: Top 10 Favorite N64 games
Week 1: Top 10 Favorite SNES games
author=kentona link=topic=373.msg4802#msg4802 date=1194404830
This time the Top 10 topic deals with the console that single-handedly destroyed hundreds of thousands of kids ability to form meaningly and constructive social relationships. Also, saved the video game industry!

That is so true. :D

My top ten would have to be:

10. Ducktales.
9. Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble beach.
8. Donkey Kong 3.
7. Super Dodge Ball.
6. Gremlins 2: The new Batch.
5. Megaman 3.
4. Dragon Warrior 2.
3. Dragon Warrior 3.
2. World Super Tennis.
1. Super Smash Bros 3. (What a game)
I absolutely hated the Nes. No offence.
author=maoville link=topic=373.msg4809#msg4809 date=1194418180
I absolutely hated the Nes. No offence.
How very foolish of you.
10. Megaman 4
9. Kid Icarus
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
7. Metroid
6. The Legend of Zelda
5. Megaman 2
4. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
3. Final Fantasy 1
2. Super Mario Bros 3
1. River City Ransom

Sorry but no matter how good Super Mario Bros 3 is (and it is), River City Ransom beats it out on sheer awesomeness. The game was very ahead of it's time. Being able to toss wheels and jump on them as they roll, being able to throw rocks and hit them in mid air with a stick like a baseball, and a truely awesome mix of Side Scrolling Beat Em Up and RPG. I'm not sure if I ever beat it though. I usually spent my time in 2 Player beating the crap out of my partner so I could use him as a weapon.
Ah the NES, so many good memories. I can still remember the day I got my NES. Or rather the day I got hom from some dreadful place in the country I was forced to be at to return to a new and fresh NES that had been bought. (And subsequently was last played by me in the family). This isn't really an all that good list but I'll try to list what I remember and what I've actually played. I'll probably come up with them as I go along so some numbers might have been better switched.

10 Track & Field in Barcelona
This game still gets taken out from time to time, button-mashing at its finest and a wonderful quickie game. Remember back when you turned on a machine and you were one button press away from starting to play? No? Well that's how it used to be. No loading times, no everlasting splash screens just. Game menu, press start to play.

Barcelona did force you to press the button three times though. Once to skip the intro running sequence, once again to pick the amount of players and difficulty level and then once to choose a discipline. But it still took one hundreth of the time it takes to boot up my DS and start playing Tetris DS on it.

9 Star Wars
Perhaps not an overly wonderful game. The controls are wonky at times, the music lacks one channel so one beat gets eaten up when firing a weapon. But still, the graphics are great and the game has space battles. Though it probably took me five years to get that far. I always died in the same place with some kind of arrow elevator shafts. Star Wars is a really darn difficult game, but it has quite a bit of variety in gameplay and did I say the graphics are great?

8 Snake Rattle 'n Roll
This game is insanely difficult. Or let's say it has an insane learning curve. The first couple of levels are great fun for the whole family and playing two is lovely. Though the fact is. You'll probably won't get past level four. Again the graphics are great and the stages that I played were cute and cuddly.

7 Mega Man (&2 and 3, and I think I tried 4 too and a bit of 5 but then it stopped)
I'll just throw all the sequels into one bit. Mega Man is one of those really great series that people probably don't appreciate as much anymore because it has been milked to death. Well once upon a time it wasn't milked to death, instead it was awesome. Mega Man 2 was the first game ever that I rented and I actually beat all but one of the bosses without knowing that you actually STOLE the boss's weapons! The game got radically simpler after that.

Afterwards no-one really believed me but I know I am right.

6 Blades of Steel
Blades of Steel was the ultimate hockey game on NES. It created some misconceptions about the rules in my child mind. That is the rule that when you fight the loser gets a penalty. Well it turned out it wasn't really so. However this game gave us some pretty awesome matches. I remember renting it when we had our NES connected to a black&white TV. It sometimes made it a bit hard to make out which side was which.

Occasionally this game was even difficult on Hard mode. But never so much that games didn't end 25-10.

5 Nintendo World Cup
Okay, so I like sports games. (this won't be the last on the list) The game that was included on the four-controller pad combo thingie and it was quite a bit of fun even though I only got to try it a couple of times with four players. My best memory is changing the playing field to ice and playing through to the World Cup with Mexico one evening a long time ago. Good times, Good times.

4 Metroid
This game was helladifficult. And big. Every now and then I'd go someplace I'd never been before and despair a bit before dying and returning to the restart point not having any clue where I had been previously. Many years after I got it I finally managed to beat the game, though I'm fairly certain I did something wrong because there's at least one or two bosses I never fought. And some areas I skipped completely. This game is just kinda too big for that and for me. I just like shooting things. Needless to say I never got undressed Samus. EXCEPT of course that my used game had a manual with included codes. One of which had Samus starting without the armour. That was pretty cool.

3 Tecmo Cup Soccer
Football + Level progression. How can it go wrong? My first encounter with the Sports-RPG genre. In fact it probably was my first encounter with levels and skillpoints in a game at all and I was pretty fascinated by it. Playing a game and seeing how players leveled up. And looking at people's stats and oh their supershots. This was a lovely game but also a game that was pretty frustrating because honestly there wasn't much you could do yourself to affect what was happening on screen. Either the goalkeeper made the save or he didn't. And once those wolf catches had all been used the Brazilian ubertwins of buggerysupershotgoodness were unstoppable. UNSTOPPABLE I SAY.

A single player game that took a room of excited ten year olds to beat shouting and cheering.

2 The Legend of Zelda (and Adventures of Link)
Zelda is probably one of those NES hallmark series and although my GBA version looks a bit old and outdated my nostalgic shimmer seems to recall the big and pretty adventures from yore. This game also felt like it had a much too big world and loads of things to explore for a little Link like myself. Walking around killing monsters in a big world never got old. Collecting rupees to get ubershields, keys, potions. Anything. Some of those dungeons were a bit difficult though and again it took coordinated efforts by a group of ten year olds and a strategy guide to finally beat the game in question.

But what a day that was.

1 Super Mario Bros (+2 & 3)
Mario, what can one say? The obvious choice for number 1. The games really are as good as they're rumoured to be. Even now the original Super Mario Bros is a lesson in "pick up and play". I said that Barcelona was actually three button presses away. Well Super Mario Bros is one button press away from the classic tune and the start of the game. In our neighbourhood rumours about this game sometimes took mythic proportions. Someone claimed that finishing the game ten times in a row would make Mario make somersaults when jumping (a bit like in SMB3 when having the star). Well I still remember one day when we sat inside a couple of hours playing through the game over and over and over again to see if this was true.

It wasn't. But damn it was epic. The other SMBs are equally great, SMB2's quirkyness is a great favorite of mine but SMB3 is basically the NES game perfected. The game is huge beyond proportions while still being possible to beat in one sitting. By today's standard SMB might be outdated, but SMB3 isn't. There's a reason they put out graphical updates of that game. It's still a pretty brilliant game.

Honrable mention (a.k.a. I can't believe I forget about that game!):
Street Gangs (You'll know this as River City Ransom)
Moneys to buy stuff from shops and beat up people from the Nintendo World Cup game. This game was right on so many levels. (and you could play two)

Probotector (You'll know this as Contra. I think)
I never got past the second level of this game without the Konami code. With the code I finished the game easily. A great play when playing multiplayer, especially the races to the special weapons.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Yeah. Another game we usually played with the Konami code. It was just fun to bash our way through the game and not having to restart early when we died on the level with the Baxter-bug thing (I think his name was Baxter)
1. Final Fantasy II
2. Metal Warriors
3. Genghis Khan II
4. Chrono Trigger
5. EVO: Search for Eden
6. Tecmo Secret of the Stars
7. Super Black Bass
8. Final Fantasy III
9. Paladin's Quest
10. Lufia

So hard...I actually own most of those carts...5 of them at least. EVO and Metal Warriors are actually REALLY REALLY hard to find (for less than $60 at least). I picked up Secret of Mana for $5 at a farmers market last weekend...gotta love that!
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Any community where Ankylo posts is OK by me.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Crystalis! It's like Zelda 1 but better.
What about Star Tropics? Anyone played that one?

Also, Powerblade was pretty fun.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Yeah, I played Star Tropics. That was a hard game, but lots of cool stuff in it. WHAT ABOUT RYGAR FOR F*CK'S SAKE!? I remember playing and playing and playing that game, and each time I was like, "okay, this HAS to be the last boss..." and it never was. I remember watching a youtube vid of the ending or something, though, and If I had actually played that far, I would have killed someone when i saw that crappy ass ending.

My Top 10!

10.Metroid
9.Kickle Cubicle
8.Castlevania
7.Punch out
6.ShadowGate/Deja Vu/and the other one
5.Legend of Zelda
4.Advetures of Link
3.Mario 2
2.Mario 3
1.Final Fantasy 1

awesomes:
Bayou Billy - hardest game ever?
Rygar
Star Tropics
Monster Party (just too weird and funny not to be here)
Bionic Commando
The Dragon Warrior Games (never had the best chance to play them...)
Kid Icarus
Solar Jetman
Super DodgeBall!!!
Double Dragon
TMNT 1
Snake Rattle and Roll
Duck Tales
lol for Karnov
Wizards and Warriors (the one with the cartoony night)
GHOULS AND GHOSTS

and prolly a billion others... oh yeah, and Contra.
Star Tropics was a neat game. I never played it that much though, only watched other people play it and I pretty much sucked at it myself. But the Zelda 2 overworld ripoff was great. The actual dungeon gameplay wasn't nearly as exciting.

Rygar was actually one of those games I have a distinct memory of beating. I'm not entirely sure though. I have this memory of me sitting down and actually playing and playing and playing that game. Many hours. Most of which consisted of kicking the same enemies in order to get extra health. And sitting and playing forever and ever. I can't be 100% sure though since I have no recollection of how it would have ended. The last thing I remember was a huge cave with enemies in the ceiling. And I'm fairly certain I played for a long time after that.

It's a pretty fuzzy memory and DAMN that game was hard.
back then when i was a kid i liked these ones:

1. Astyanax
2. Ninja gaiden
3. Castlevania 3
4. Contra
5. Batman
6. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
7. Athena
8. Double dragon
9. Contra force
10. Kirby
I totally forgot to put Ninja Gaidan on my list. It was one of the games that i used to play so often.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
1. Final Fantasy
2. Dragon Warrior 3
3. Dragon Warrior 4
4. Dragon Warrior 2
5. Dragon Warrior 1
6. Crystalis
7. Super Mario Bros 3
8. Metal Gear
9. Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
10. Ninja Gaiden

Whoa... Kentona doesn't have Final Fantasy in his NES favorites? Am I seeing things or did you just forget?
Well...I never played much NES games, but these are my favorites:

Dragon Warrior IV
Dragon Warrior III
MegaMan II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy
author=harmonic link=topic=373.msg5177#msg5177 date=1195266091
Whoa... Kentona doesn't have Final Fantasy in his NES favorites? Am I seeing things or did you just forget?

Hey, i didn't even notice that. Nice find.
I admit it! I'm just a poser!

Actually, I never really played it. I was already in love with DWIII by the time I rented FF. Plus, DW games had all these neat maps, and charts, spellists and weaponlists for me to peruse, but FF had nothing. I never got into FF until the SNES game FFII/IV game out, and got really into it with FFIII/VI, then lost interest after the first 1/2 of FFVII.

Admittedly, my infatuation with FF was shortlived.
DW games were the best. Unlike you Kentona i pretty much just moved it out of the way when Final Fantasy game.
EDIT: oh hey I thought this was ALL Nintendo consoles.
Either way these are the best games EVER so.

10 Super Metroid
9 Super Mario Galaxy
8 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7 Metroid Prime
6 Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
5 Metroid Prime 3
4 Banjo-Tooie
3 Pokemon Gold/Silver
2 Banjo-Kazooie
1 Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Pages: first 12 next last