FUNKY BUGS

Pages: 1
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Have you ever tested your game and noticed something really strange happening? Let's say that a car was phasing through telephone poles, or your platforming MC was accidently katamari'ing his bullets.

This is the topic to share those odd bugs. Screenshots are very welcome, but not mandatory. I'll start with the bug that inspired this:

So I was testing a game and making sure that a bunch of different weapon types worked out with the ATB system. You see, I had made this really awesome attribute theory that I implemented some time last year but never got around to actually making a game with it. As such, a lot of the code has been... untouched. A little dusty, shall we say.

This is one of the dustballs that popped up:

It turns out that last year I managed to set the bow animations for my project to work with specific weapon IDs... in a script below the ATB script (meaning that it had priority). So, in a strange coincidence, I managed to shoot bows out of my bow and arrows out my shuriken. I screwed over this current project last year.

I have now remedied this strange, strange malady. TRANSFIGURATION POWERS GO

Your turn. =D
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Fix your party window it is ugly.
Craze
WIP ONE OF THESE DAYS I AM GOING TO GO TO UTAH AND PLASTER YOUR WOMEN WITH UGLY ATB BARS
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Why wasn't that game released?

...Or is it your current project?
Craze
POST YOUR QUIRKY BUGS HERE

Modify: Actually you have a valid question. =P
I am currently working on the project with Karsuman, influenced (eventually) by WIP's wisdom in interface design (YES I WILL MAKE THE LETTERS SMALLER MR. ATB(freak)). It is built off of a system that I built onto/into the commonly-seen and usually-sucky ATB battle system for RMVX. Basically, I am using a sub-engine that I hacked together for VX. The base system was put together about a year ago (or was it AFTER Demon Tower... I think before. Eh.)

POST YOUR QUIRKY BUGS HERE THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT TOPIC
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
The only really quirky bug I ever encountered was in the desert I made for PH1. For some reason, saving in the middle of the sandstorm effect I set up would cause a fatal error message upon reloading, consisting of random numbers, letters, and a lot of question marks. Turned out the error was occurring because of the parallel process running a battle animation over the hero constantly. I had to change my approach to fix it, and it's much better now. Still, one of the old RM* mystery bugs we may never understand...
"INSUFFICIENT FUCKING MEMORY TO CREATE STREAM! SORRY BUDDY, I JUST FUCKED OVER YOUR SAVE FILE HA HA HA HA."

The weird-assed memory leak in Hero's Realm revolving around playing MIDIs (I think) that would cause them to randomly stop mid-song and then, if you attempt to save, CRASH THE GAME and DESTROY THE SAVE FILE.

Funky enough for you?
I haven't had anything particularly amusing that I remember. But oh man, RM2K bugs. I was particularly annoyed once upon a time by a bug that popped up parsing cycles (the RM2K while loops). Instead of breaking out of the correct loop, it'd just continue down the code until it hit an "end cycle".

So this:
CYCLE
>Break CYCLE
>CYCLE
>>...
>End CYCLE
End CYCLE
was an infinite loop.

There was the thing where MIDIs randomly played with a wrong/limited instrument set, too. Never really figured that one out.
There was the thing where MIDIs randomly played with a wrong/limited instrument set, too. Never really figured that one out.

Yep. That bug seems to depend solely on the computer (and the sound card?) you're using. MIDIs always play correctly with RPG Maker XP, but they will sometimes behave very oddly with RM2k with RM2k3. IIRC, people who can't get MIDI files to work with RM2k and RM2k3 may also have problems with getting them to work with Windows Media Player... ;)
My game freezes whenever it tries to move a picture without waiting for completion. I'm pretty sure that's a problem with VX.
I had one with SkyE that almost killed production entire.

The game would just crash randomly. No rhyme or reason, and it only happened on Vista machines at first.

I spent days and days rewriting and changing the entire VX engine to fix it, all to no avail.

In the end? I hadn't disposed of a custom viewport in my title screen because I had half-done my title screen early on and never quite finished it. Eventually Zeriab mentioned that the bug didn't happen if he had it go straight to a certain scene.

After playing with everything before that I found it didn't happen if I removed the custom titlescreen, and from there figured out I failed to dispose of the viewport.

This took up 2.5 weeks of a 4.5 week production. :|
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Those are the worst, Anaryu. Something that you only half-finished and was working enough that you didn't notice was busted.

Hitting those AH HA moments are fantastic, though.

As for my own bugs, you get all sorts of fun things when you are debugging code. I can't think of something specific, but sometimes I accidently flip w and h when drawing windows and that makes things pretty messy.
While not game programming, I remember a coworker and I working on a defect for a large (overly) complicated java method, and for the life of us we couldn't figure out why the method wasn't doing what it should.

Finally, tucked in the top half of this ridiculous method, there was a line:

if (true)
return;

WTF.
RMVX suddenly quit playing any sort of audio. Persisted too. That was fun. Oh, and I fucked up the mutex code so when testing if the lock has been grabbed it would always return false. I was wondering why RMVX was completely freezing but not crashing.
RM2k's variables and switches did not function correctly so any events that used them got messed up. It happened to me a few times but doesn't seem to be major since you can fix it by restarting.
Is there any known problem with VX's "jump to label" command? I'm chugging along on this CBS, and I set up a few common events that let the player select a target and show some info on the enemy. I forgot to put in some jump to label commands, so when I tested it, it highlighted all enemies one-by-one. When I went back and put the jump to label commands in... the game froze when it loaded the common event with the commands in them. When I erased them again, it went back to sort-of-working.
Craze
I have never managed to break a jump to label command. They have always worked 100% correctly for me.
I have the same comment as Craze, but in regards to this:
author=drgn_lord50 link=topic=3922.msg78760#msg78760 date=1244264858
RM2k's variables and switches did not function correctly so any events that used them got messed up. It happened to me a few times but doesn't seem to be major since you can fix it by restarting.

Variables and switches work consistently in vanilla RM2K, or nobody would ever have been able to play Aurora Wing.
Yeah, I've never had issues with switches or variables in Rm2k/3 (that weren't defects that I coded in myself, that is!)

unsigned long mult(int i, unsigned int* j)
{
return (i-1) * sizeof(unsigned int) / *(j+2*i)
}

Whoops

*edit*
This is what happens when you try to do this from memory, it was a uint array, not a ulong (oh god why would I divide by that)
Pages: 1