CITY OR RURAL (SUBURBS)?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Masamune
A guy walks into a bar and his alcoholism is destroying his family.
I pick the suburbs because growing up there were a lot of places to run from the cops to when friends and i were committing atrocities throughout the neighborhood.
I live in suburbs I suppose. Just a quiet little town, 3000 people (apparently, but I cannot imagine where they got that number).

On the plus side its safe, theres no real crime at all, but on the minus side theres nothing to do. You usually have to go to the next town over to get to a theatre or go shopping and stuff.
I thrive in densely populated urban areas. It might sound odd, but it's easier to be antisocial and hide in plain sight. The opposite being true as well since there's always somebody nearby who shares your interests given the large selection of people. Plus, there's always something to do; whether it be an NFL game, a play, museums, restaurants, etc. Also, I like to walk places and most areas are too spread out to do that.

To put it into perspective, this is the street I lived on several years ago (I lived in the building directly to the right actually), taken from Google Street View:

Ha... And the same spot in Google Earth:

I live in a weird place. We're classed as a city because we have a cathedral (well, two, just because, y'know, we can) but we're really not that big. The 'city center' is very small but it just means that all the shops are really close together and we have a great selection considering. If I go to London I can only find a few good stores dotted here and there, at home the good shops are round the corner from each other and in plentiful supply.

I'd call Norwich a large town at best, but I kinda like it here. If I could have this city, with different inhabitants, that'd be awesome, unfortunately this is the UK and

is the goddamn norm here. Seriously, these fuckers keep breeding! Remember kids, if you become a teenage mother, the government will give you a free house and pay your bills for you! Thansk to this, stupid chav kids from numerous council estates keep having sex young and unprotected, having a kid, sponging off the government, ignoring the kid, then the kid grows up to do the exact same thing and we wonder why the recession is going to continue for years to come...
post=93048
I dunno I love having that one Asian friend. Makes him feel special and makes me feel like I'm not racist.

Haha. This is pretty much my role. Token Asian kid.
I live in the suburbs, in Northern California. To be exact, I live somewhere in Marin County... which is... a rich area. A rich WHITE area. Not too much cultural diversity here, although there's some hispanics that live around here, it's most white people everywhere I go.
"76.9% of Marin County's population was non-Hispanic whites. 12.6% of the population was Latino. 5.3% of the population was Asian and 3.1% was African-American."

Yeaaaah. There are more Prius's than black people here.

I like it a lot here (weather is great), although I want to live in the city sometime. A few weeks ago I was actually in NYC, and it was... kind of like, an explosion (of people, diversity, etc.) to me, but yeah, even though I'm really used to the suburbs, I'd like to try a different experience when I get a chance.

Actually, when I was younger, I spent a few years in Shanghai, which is... Well, the sheer amount of people there is overwhelming. There's not much diversity, it's just OH LOOK THERE'S A MILLION CHINESE PEOPLE EVERY DIRECTION I LOOK. I revisited there summer last year, and it can feel a little cramped.

I kind of like the feel of "movement" that the city gives, but if I were to live in a city, it'd take some time for me to get accustomed to it, I guess.
Why do people equate diversity with skin color?
post=93250

Yeah, there's can be a large difference between the culture of people with the same colored skin you know.

I mean, white people in Britain think that white people in America are stupid or fat or something, and white people in America believe that they are superior to white people in Britain. White people in the southern U.S. eat food from Mexico. White people in Canada always make questions instead of statements, eh? Little gray people enjoy Reeses Pieces. Cultural diversity that is.
post=93250

Because that's how it is.
I think you mean that's how it is in America (or new world countries), although I'm not sure if that in itself is correct.

I think those towns in Wales or English that are close to 50% Polish would disagree that it's about skin colour. Or the Philippinos (how do you spell that?) and Chinese getting the shit jobs in Japan.
post=93347
I think you mean that's how it is in America (or new world countries), although I'm not sure if that in itself is correct.

Oh, most definitely I'm limiting my statement to America. Unlike other countries, especially in Europe, there aren't relatively very many people who identify themselves as other than 'a white American' or a 'black American' or whatever. The only example of people that I noticed really have cultural identity are Asians and Italians. Some people I talk to don't even have any idea WHAT they are except 'white Americans' (which, me not being white, I can't imagine how this must be remotely possible), and on the other end of the spectrum, because of hundreds of years of cultural suppression, African Americans don't really have any clue WHAT they/we are other than 'black people'.
I was born in the suburbs, been living in the suburbs, and I'll most likely be staying in the suburbs for the majority of my life. Wouldn't mind visiting urban areas on occasion, as least to give myself some inspiration whenever I'm in the mood. However, I don't think that I could handle the noise and crowds for too long. Annoying enough to hear the occasional cars zoom by the house after midnight. And don't get me started on rural areas, especially since I'd prefer my future children to form close-by friendships than to isolate them.
I...don't much of a choice. As much as I hate urban areas, I don't particular like the suburbs. I had to stay 2 weeks in one of my aunt's house and it almost drove me insane. I was just bored of the whole area and found little next to nothing to do but I did enjoy the massive parks which are a rarity in my area.
I like living in the boondocks. There is simply more land to call your own, more privacy, less noise, friendlier neighbors, you can drive faster, play hockey on a frozen pond, lose a dog in the bush, and feel isolated as an adolescent, forcing you to develop some personal character.

Its not bad.
post=93614
I like living in the boondocks. There is simply more land to call your own, more privacy, less noise, friendlier neighbors, you can drive faster, play hockey on a frozen pond, lose a dog in the bush, and feel isolated as an adolescent, forcing you to develop some personal character.

You have summed it up perfectly man.
I've lived in a suburb of Phoenix my whole life. And although it's a suburb, it's within Phoenix Metropolitan so basically it's just as dense/populous as anywhere else in the city. Since so little of the land in Arizona is able to be developed on, they really cram everything in where they can.
post=93614

Its not bad.

Sounds boring.
Pages: first prev 12 last