YOUR FIRST GAME

My first game was "Dragon Creed", and I can't remember much about it. It was complete, but so badly made it was unbeatable unless you started at level 50 or so lol.

My first true finished and polished game was entitled "Boticade", and I'm really mad it never saw the light of day on the net. It was 13 hours long on a speedrun, and the storyline was awesome. Sadly, it's stuck on an old comp and will never be released. I plan on remaking it one day, but right now I've gone straight to writing a novel based on it, and I'll see what four years of University English Lit can do for it lol.
Am I the only one who try to clone don's adventure as his first game?
I tried to, but then I noticed that it was inperfekt...
post=96048
My first true finished and polished game was entitled "Boticade", and I'm really mad it never saw the light of day on the net. It was 13 hours long on a speedrun, and the storyline was awesome. Sadly, it's stuck on an old comp and will never be released.

how can it be stuck? if we're talking pc, just get out the harddrive.

When I found solutions to the problem I had basically decided it needed to be remade lol. I'd much rather no one played it until they got the new refurnished version of the story.
Coming 2020 ;) lol
If the game is polished and the storyline is awesome then I say just go for it and submit it

that's my feelings about it
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=95943
Mog Adventure

No way, Rei, you made Mog's Adventure? I love that game!
Please correct me if I'm totally misreading your post, by the way.
Happy
Devil's in the details
post=96413
post=95943
Mog Adventure
No way, Rei, you made Mog's Adventure? I love that game!
Please correct me if I'm totally misreading your post, by the way.

It might be possible there are several games with the same title. Because the Mog Adventure I made, was very short, and I don't really remember releasing it ever.
Tardis, you're thinking of Mog's Great Adventure by Opulous.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
Ah, alright then. Thanks Darken. ;)
A Pac man clone called Pac-Knight. Had nothing to do with the Pac Man genre. Was chosen for its simple graphics. It was a top-down action adventure. You were mainly this guy who could shoot arrows and swing a sword. You went through these ten levels as a story was told mainly of betrayal of a ninja friend who ends up becoming the main villain. Was good for learning, but it wasn't as solid as it should have. Still, I had fun with it. This was during like Game Maker 3 or something. Before the particle system and whatnot.

My first RPG Maker 2K game was a final fantasy fangame. Yes, I know, not very original, but once more a learning experience. It had about 6 hours of gameplay mainly because I held the highest passion during my time in making games, so I was making sure it lived up to an enjoyable experience I suppose. Once more, not very solid, but I refined it over two years into working. Unfortunately, the harddrive that held the game was stolen during a moving, so I lost all records of such.
I really don't remember what was the first game I worked on, but I remember the good times I had with RPG Maker 2000. I discovered the program because (AH! I remember now!) I wanted to make a Pokemon game, when I was 12 or 13. I didn't finish it of course, but I really had fun making it. I remember how I used to go into those German RM sites and look in their screenshots topics on their forums. I went crazy trying to figure out how they made fog effects on their maps. Ah, those were the days...

And way before Sphere, I had an ABS made on RM2003. I still have a video of it on YouTube.

Darkmatter50 sprites, dude, you are my hero.
I still use his style of sprites to this day (I'm usually making my own now, but it's always from a DM50 template).
My first game was created on RM95 using default graphics/music/whatnot. It was about a guy who was ordered by the king to kill a witch who was evil. You met a fairy in a forest and she joined you then you went to see the king who gave you your mission. You went to visit the witch - who you found out was really not evil - and then you were supposed to go visit the king again, but I never got that far. I think the king was being controlled or something because I'd mapped a lot more of the world than just that area.

I wish I still had it.
My first game was an RPG Maker 95 game called Legend of Zelda: Angels Four. As you can tell it's a Zelda fangame and the prequel to the more commonly known NigSek, and like its predecessor had 3D FMVs all over the gaff as well as 100% custom graphics. I also had a musician, Tufif De'Siks(sp?), who composed more than his fair share of tunes for the game before Wishmoo snapped him up for her site.

Before that there were various test games made with early assets and stuff to see how it all worked, but none of that went public. Also on the subject of unreleased stuff, what never went public were various other RM2K games such as a Kirby dancing game (in conjunction with... I'm sorry, I forget his name, but he had a dancing game out at the time and I was planning on it to be kind of a reskin of that), an adaptation of "Guards, Guards!", the Discworld novel, and another RM2K game with prerendered backdrops and CBS before Idunn Ymiraldor went ahead.
im working on my first game even until now. i started like hmm..............7 months ago and im 40% done with it. wait. 40% in 7 months? well, i've revamped it a couple of times (adding new common events, getting more resources etc) and also im busy with school, its my last year in high school. anyway, my game is about some dude (Lucian) who wants to destroy this enemy empire cuz they attacked his village months ago and they killed his father, who was an officer of the defending village. so in one town, he comes across this girl who turns out to be one of the members of his country's elite forces, and she knew his father, so she agrees to help lucian out.

so they pass through huge forest with a boss at the end which happens to be imperial knights (and i used the FF7 boss theme for the boss music lol). so next town, and they discover that an Imperial tower is blocking their way towards the mountain range. the only way to destroy it is to destroy the glyph on top of the tower that's controlled by a (recurring) character which is a Dark Elf (or uses the dark elf charset, hes referred to as ????). so blablabla, they destroy it. they pass through the mountain range. then somewhere near the main empire base, they come across this mercenary ninja dude (i used Shadow's theme from FF6 btw lol) who wants to join them because he has nothing else better to do, but his intentions are far more than that and i wont reveal it now.

so they intrude the castle and come across the research facility, and then the girl finds a book with a small piece of paper attached to it saying that "I am journeying to the Allivore snowfield to find the secret art that is capable of wiping out an entire continent, that is hidden in a cave". again, i wont reveal what it is..............HINT: it has something to do with the sun.

ok, so because of this, they realize that the emperor dude isnt there and that Lucian cant carry out his revenge (or avenge). so they travel to the snowfield place but they see the path to the cave is blocked. so in the nearby town, they meet this old dude who says that he can remove the path using special arts, AND he reveals that he helped the empire get to the cave by removing the obstruction. but then he dosent want to remove it so they can get out because he realized his mistake. Lucian and party convince him to remove the obstruction so that they can stop the empire/emperor from acquiring the forbidden art. okay, old dude is convinced. he says the art to remove obstructions is written in a language only he understands and he hid it away in the nearby mountain above. so now, Lucian and party must get it.

then im working on the rest.

oh and did i mention i used the RTP except the faceset, i used the Charas ex faceset maker for my game faceset.

phew
If I really think back, I messed around with VB a little bit trying to get a game working before I picked up RM2K - not with a specific design, just looking to be able to implement an RPG design if I wanted. I didn't know about double buffering so it was not working very well. (VB was the engine of choice because I literally couldn't figure out how to do any non-console programming in C++, the other language I'd used. If lacking either of these bits of information seems silly, remember - this was life just before Google, nobody I knew had any more clue than I did, and it was just a hobby thing anyway.) Anyway, once I did find RM2K, which had come out not long before, it worked and had ready-made resources so I was an instant convert.

So anyway my first 'real' game was an RM2K implementation of 10x10 Minesweeper for a contest at Don's forums. I released a couple more minigame-length things in RM2K, then my first project > 5 minutes long was my SimRPG Maker game "Legend of Nennia". I don't remember a lot about it: the main characters were mostly teenagers from the same village, and I had a tiered class-change system (in retrospect, anyway, a lot like the one in FE Gaiden), with the first step of that making it into the last demo. Maybe I have it on a backup disk somewhere but it's effectively lost forever, and probably not much of a loss.
I can't remember any of my first games. I used to make pen and paper games and drew map after map when I was a really little kid, and I remember when I read about the upcoming Super Dante in my copy of Nintendo Power in 1994 I was super super excited. Of course, looking back on it now it sucks and I am glad I didn't get a chance to play it and have it ruin my life, but it got me in the mood to RPGMake!

I think I had some RM2k game that used entirely RTP graphics and had nothing novel about it whatsoever. However, despite my early entrance into the field I actually received compliments from people who had never heard of RM2k about my maps, so I was pretty excited. I don't recall if it had a story or not (probably not).

My next game (and first in RM2k3, I think) was actually pretty awesome, considering it was my first real project (that I can remember anything about, anyways). It was about a young Royal guardsman who stumbles into a plot to kill the king when he attempts to arrest a conspirator, who commits suicide rather than go to jail. He is then branded as the man's murderer and tied to the plot, the conspirators using him as a fall guy. Before he can be executed, his army buddy busts him out. They split up to avoid detection, but before they can reconnect he is jumped and knocked unconscious. Another group of conspirators, an offshoot determined on planting their candidate to replace the king, has captured him thinking (mistakenly) that he is part of the other conspiracy. Before they can question him, a raid by other guardsmen on their secret cave hideout gives the swordsman a chance to escape deeper into the caverns, eventually emerging into freedom on the other side. The rest of the game was about the swordsman trying to find allies to forestall the conspiracy and, when he eventually failed, trying to oust the chancellor who had seized power before he could invade all his neighbours.

It was ORIGINALLY based very closely on the Seventh Sword trilogy by Dave Duncan, who's books I had just finished reading. There were various ranks of kilt-wearing swordsman everywhere (using "sweet" custom sprites I had made). As worked on it it changed dramatically to the story I just described. I remember being really impressed by the alleys in NigSek asking SovanJedi if I could use his city graphics from that game. He said, but I always had a feeling it was because he expected I'd never do anything with them. He was sort of right; the chipset I ended up with wasn't great, but it taught me A LOT about map design and chipset drawing. By the end of the project I was creating some really interesting custom graphics and interesting new areas, but I always felt the urge to completely restart it so I could remake the original areas that were... terrible. Eventually, my HDD crashed and my most recent backup wasn't very recent at all, and I had lost all my best work (which I had done very soon before my HDD died).

I used that an excuse to start it over from scratch, with the same character and storyline but much improved coding and graphics, but never got up much steam. Nothing from it has been reused in my current game, except a few much-altered facesets. I can claim that I was one of the first people to use edited Rudra graphics (before Meiscool!) but they were amongst the files that I lost. I was so proud of them that it ended up being a major reason for me to scrap the project.

edit: well that was the longest post! Whoops!
It's interesting to hear stories from you veterans (Sovan, DF, and Kaempfer), as many familiar RM community/user names pop up. I feel compelled to give my little game history for the hell of it.

It's impossible to figure out what my first game was, because I have started many many many unfinished projects. I remember at one point I would start 20 projects a week and end up never finishing them. So the memory of my first games remind me of a graveyard filled with blank gravestones.

The closest I ever gotten to a demo was a game called Hall of the Slain, the game is actually quite recent (1-2 years ago) so it isn't even close to one of my first "games" Basically it was a game about a viking who dies and gets time warped into an apocalyptic future for mysterious reasons. Confused, the viking is in a strong belief that he is in Ragnarok and the characters he comes across are Norse gods out to help him. The story was heavily based on just how far belief could make people into what they are. It didn't work out so well due to story reasons, but I had a lot of cool game mechanic ideas especially for the battles and I learned a lot from it. Eventually the game changed to a simple story about vikings, but then I didn't know if I wanted to be historically accurate or make shit up. So I ended up ditching it all together, some of my close friends played whatever I had conjured up and enjoyed some of it, but it was not meant to be.

I still have it lying around on my hd, but its bugged to shit as I have two versions of it (the viking to the future one and the regular viking one). I traded files/eventcommands/commonevents in between etc. and it's hard to play through both the games without getting into some error. So sadly I can't throw out some "whats left of it" demo for people to play through. But I can throw some old screenshots!

obligatory GoodvsBad rep system

Can't say this game is completely gone as I will be implementing elements and stuff I learned into my current project. I'm quite proud to say that I'm making more progress than this (and with custom graphics/music to boot!)