YOUR FIRST GAME

@BizarreMonkey You might be interested in D is for Dungeon on this site. It's about a toddler who saves the world. Not much is done with the idea but you do dungeon crawl as a baby.

My first game was about a little boy looking for his dog who then died. That was about it but the world map was nice.
My first game was a terribly cliché RPG made using RPG Maker XP. You're following in your father's footsteps to go free the world from 3 evil overlords and their armies of soldiers forged from captured souls.

People seemed to enjoy it, but I can only ever look at the damn thing with shame.
My first game was started back when RPG Maker 2000 was still the big one. It was about a demon who was causing trouble throughout history. The game revolved around the characters, a trend I'm continuing into my current project, and the game was fairly developed before I dumped it. I still regret the decision but my new project, Withered Reason, is still going full steam and I'm very confident it will be loved by the community.
author=VIolentSleep
My first game was a terribly cliché RPG made using RPG Maker XP. You're following in your father's footsteps to go free the world from 3 evil overlords and their armies of soldiers forged from captured souls.

People seemed to enjoy it, but I can only ever look at the damn thing with shame.

;) Join the club!

Still, if people liked your old work, then take heart in the fact that they will probably enjoy your new, better work now. ;)
It was a 'phan game.'

And my maps used to look like that. Circa 2009.
I made my first game at age 5 after one of my older brothers made me play a sci-fi RPG he made using lego blocks. Mine was called "Le Chevalier sur l'Île du Centaure" (Knight on Centaur's Island).
It used a single sheet of paper, a short labyrinth with a few treasure chests and fixed NPCs was drawn on one side, a secret room and the boss's room on the other.
The player had to move his character, a slime with a human face, hair and mustache, through the labyrinth, loot chests and defeat other slimes and a huge tarantula in order to find a magic sword and shield (the initial gear was Donatello's bo and a wooden shield).
In the secret room you could reach via a simple staircase, an old sage would turn you into a knight and then send you to the boss.
In the boss's room awaited the centaur (didn't look like a centaur at all, more like a manticore/wyvern thing) imprisoned in a glass sphere. You had to use the magic shield to guard against his fiery breath then slash a few times with the sword to kill it.
The end. Don't question the imagination of a kid.

The first RM2k project I finished was a Dragon Quest fangame based on another pen & paper project I made when I was 10~12. It used default stuff, had 6 dungeons, 5 playable characters and one optional boss that dropped a super sword. It did have a few neat features like dark rooms lit by moving spheres and wooden planks floating over water that would take you to another platform. The paper version was actually much more interesting. I used small maps that would be swapped over a Tiger Handheld-like controller. My original idea for the final boss was a "dragon warrior", a swordsman with dragon wings, but my brother said it was terrible :P
You know, I wrote earlier that my first game was one on RM95 but that's not quite true. I actually created one before that on the PSX RPG Maker, which later joined the site under the title of Even Day. (A 2k3 remake.)
It featured:
- amnesiac heroine
- love triangle
- bad guy turned good (love redeems!!!)
- kick-ass female villain~
- kidnapped royalty
- who wasn't really kidnapped but had instead eloped
- WAR!!!
- evil cults!!!
- human sacrifice!!!
- as a sidequest
- a first town sidequest at that
- day/night system
- never going to be finished syndrome

I had a lot of notes for it when I first started on it - my save files were on one (and a half) memory card that got corrupted so I took a shit-ton of notes... only to lose them to a housefire. :< I rebuilt it as much as I could later on but the zing was gone, sadly.

My very first RM2K game was a toss-up. Even back then I had a thing for more than one game on the go at once. One was a Suikoden-type game based around an OC of mine. It was, in a word, horribad. Used a mix of Mack tiles, Japanese tiles (I think they were rips from somewhere), Suikoden tiles and RTP ones. Such cohesion! At least it vanished into a computer crash.

The other first was one that I still have. Utopian Dreams... where to start? I tried to create a convoluted Inn system that would send you to some sort of 'dream world' that you could explore which had a library of facts you've learned, skill learning system, character Hall that showed stats and bios about the gang, tutorial, oracle to tell you where to go next and whatever various plans I had that I've since forgotten. And a monkey because why not?

It pulled graphics from everywhere - Breath of Fire II, Suikoden II, RTP, FF6... the list goes on - and followed the story of a rogue who teamed up with a very knightly knight to save a priestess who had *gasp* eloped and not been kidnapped. It ran out of story when you actually find the priestess and I abandoned it for something else. The link above has the game so give it a play if you want to see just how hilariously bad I was a gammak.

Or, hey, screenies!

Welp, forest.

Such a nice, sunny day... :/

Warp monkey - the only way to travel~
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The very first game I made was with the Shoot Em Up Construction Kit with our Commodore 64. I think it was called Destruction Derby, but it had nothing to do with racing. It was a pretty typical vertical shooter with terribad graphics (I was 7 or 8, okay?) The only enemies I can recall from it were Rotors (which looked more like crosses, and didn't actually rotate) and Blobicons (pretty much what it says on the tin).

Fun fact 1: Later on in life, for my failed 2K game based on my book-that-never-got-off-the-ground, I brought back Rotors and Blobicons in their 8-bit glory (if you can call it that). Rotors were resilient to physical attacks and weak towards magic while Blobicons were the opposite.

Fun Fact 2: Darigaaz, I have projects on RMN that have enemies with those very resistance-spreads. I even recall thinking, in my head, "These are my Rotors" and/or "These are my Blobicons".