FF 5. HATES. ME.

Pages: first prev 12 last
I think even compared to games today, it holds up, and is better than most.

I guess it's a different type of game with different goals.
Yeah, the gameplay is rock - solid.
But as I said before, you need time to get into the game.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=97916
The gameplay is outdated compared to...what? Do you realize that this game was released almost 20 years ago? There wasn't much before it to call it outdated!

Exactly -- I don't think the game stands the test of time very well. I'd much rather play newer games. I didn't play this game in 1992 (more like 2002), so my perspective is different: the game was outdated when I played it, and it very much showed its age. I'm sure it was great for its time, but now I just don't see how it holds up to newer installments.
I see. I can understand that sentiment. However!

It takes scores of hours to get the full experience of the class system,

You have to invest time to get the full experience of the game? Heavens no! Somebody call the fun police!

and that time is mostly spent fighting the same monsters to accumulate levels and ability points.

Hardly, FF5 is one of those rare older games where grinding, for levels or AP, is never required. The only time you have to 'grind' is at the very end of the game if you're one of those obsessive compulsives who have to get EVERYTHING for EVERYONE, which, in this game, is complete and total overkill.
post=98002
post=97916
The gameplay is outdated compared to...what? Do you realize that this game was released almost 20 years ago? There wasn't much before it to call it outdated!
Exactly -- I don't think the game stands the test of time very well. I'd much rather play newer games. I didn't play this game in 1992 (more like 2002), so my perspective is different: the game was outdated when I played it, and it very much showed its age. I'm sure it was great for its time, but now I just don't see how it holds up to newer installments.

If you have the time, could you say which newer games in particular are better than FF5 in what way and why? I'm curious.
post=97916
1992 (more like 2002), so my perspective is different

How is your perspective different? The game didn't come out in NA til 1998. Personally it's one of my favorite FF games mainly because it feels like the definitive final fantasy. It's as if Square looked at FF1 and FF3 and said "Hey we can do better than this."
Thank you Darken, finaly somebody who thinks like me ;)
Pages: first prev 12 last