THE DREADED P WORD

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
You know, with the exception of ENTIRELY CUSTOM ASSETS (which are really a different ballpark and should not be fucked with without permission), for some reason the more someone flips out about the taking of/goes to great lengths to protect their edits, harvested resources, and whatnot the more I want to steal them, even if I never use them.

I am pretty (entirely) sure this makes me kind of a bad person but I am also pretty (entirely) sure I am not the only one who experiences this direct correlation between how protective someone is of something and how much I want to take it.
post=142235
open-licensing our custom work, or having people who normally use rips use open-licensed work instead?

Well both otherwise there couldn't be any users of open-licensed work.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Well there's a difference between resources someone makes to be distributed and used freely, and resources someone makes for their own personal use that they don't want used by others.

Not receiving credit is often thought to be a primary reason why people who used to make open-source materials (such as Roco) stopped doing so, by the way.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=142262
You know, with the exception of ENTIRELY CUSTOM ASSETS (which are really a different ballpark and should not be fucked with without permission), for some reason the more someone flips out about the taking of/goes to great lengths to protect their edits, harvested resources, and whatnot the more I want to steal them, even if I never use them.

I am pretty (entirely) sure this makes me kind of a bad person but I am also pretty (entirely) sure I am not the only one who experiences this direct correlation between how protective someone is of something and how much I want to take it.

This just makes you annoying and petulant, yes.

The fact that you try to make yourself act like a Grand Thief when all you do is copy-and-pasted extra wasted megabytes into your projects is, well... disgusting.
post=142308
post=142262

The fact that you try to make yourself act like a Grand Thief when all you do is copy-and-pasted extra wasted megabytes into your projects is, well... disgusting.

Most of your posts in this topic seem to be calling him out, you know.

Anyhow, I've never really tried too hard to track down and credit people who did rips most of the time; Sure it takes effort but in the end they're just kind of taking it from someone else, and I don't particularly feel to inclined to credit them. Edits, it really depends on the extent of the edit....for instance, changing someone's hair color? Not going to credit. Vastly changing the appearance? Yeah, I'll give credit.

Custom stuff is kind of a mess, i try not to use it. If i were going to use something custom I'd definitely attempt to get their permission first; However if I couldn't reach them, I'd use it, credit them, and then If contacted by them and asked to remove it, I'd follow through and remove it and find something else. The exception here is music, I'd never attempt to use someone elses custom music, it was made specifically for their game. I just wouldn't feel right taking it; And if I felt i really needed to use a piece, once again I would ask permission first.
Craze
Arias: I am well aware.
The only thing I don't like that people steal from me is the battle animations I made. (Not the sprite sheet, the animation from the database.) Those things can get lengthly to make. And seeing other people use em' just makes me thing "Is it that hard to make battle animations that you have to take someone else's)

I also see a lot of people using the exact animations from Naufragar too. X_X;

On a simalar note: Someone did ask me to use the music in some of my games, he was asking all professional like, and I replied to him "You'll find those midis and stuff on VGmusic, people use the same BGM's from commercial games all the time. If you want original music, you're better off asking a composer or something."

The only other thing I'd need permission from is if people want to use my sprites for anything. Just as long as they don't claim it as their own. Then I'll get Captain Falcon on their ass. Ha ha. But yeah, if its for an minor edit, I won't whine about it. I made a bunch a new chipsets, and I know they will get taken once I post my new game on the site. I'm not going to shit bricks over it, I say have at er' I even posted some of em' on the site a while back.

Craze
Naufragar... didn't do anything fancy with most of its animations. It just played them through frames x-y. Kind of hard to NOT copy that!
*is guilty of copying battle animations*
post=142327
Custom stuff is kind of a mess, i try not to use it. If i were going to use something custom I'd definitely attempt to get their permission first; However if I couldn't reach them, I'd use it, credit them, and then If contacted by them and asked to remove it, I'd follow through and remove it and find something else. The exception here is music, I'd never attempt to use someone elses custom music, it was made specifically for their game. I just wouldn't feel right taking it; And if I felt i really needed to use a piece, once again I would ask permission first.

tip: rips from games are "custom" stuff as well

There is no difference between ripping graphics from commercial games versus stealing graphics from freeware games, except some sort of meaningless distinction your mind may create.

However, there is a difference between using those and public resource graphics.
i think there is a substantial ethical difference between ripping something someone has been commissioned a busload of money to create for a commercial game and ripping something a hobbyist has created for nowt for a freeware project but that is a separate issue
Max McGee
post=142308
post=142262

Fuck you. (Yes, stealing resources is easy, even apparently stealing "protected" resources. That has no bearing on how right or wrong it is in any given situation.)

Considering I am being the opposite of hypocritical- being pretty open about some of the not-so-ethical things I and other people do/think about resources- it is kind of ridiculous that you are "calling me out". It is unnecessary, because I am calling myself out. This is like making fun of someone for making a self-deprecating remark. It is a pretty low thing to do!

i think there is a substantial ethical difference between ripping something someone has been commissioned a busload of money to create for a commercial game and ripping something a hobbyist has created for nowt for a freeware project but that is a separate issue

That's interesting, geodude and I wonder if anyone else thinks of it that way.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you have ever used any graphics from a commercial game, you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

If you have ever used any music or sound effects from a commercial game, you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

If you have ever made a fan game, you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

If you never paid for RPG Maker and are using it, you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

If you pirate or emulate games, you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

If you play RPG Maker games that satisfy any of the above conditions, then it is the same as you pirating the commercial games that they are plagiarizing, and so you are not allowed to be upset about people taking things you made.

In fact, all of the above are infinitely more serious than another RPG Maker designer taking your custom work. Because in the above examples, money is involved. You are depriving the commercial game developer of money that they would be getting otherwise. Whereas in the private indie case, neither of you is making any money off of the intellectual property, so the only harm is to your reputation and your pride.
Max McGee
According to LockeZ, I am REALLY not allowed to be upset about people taking things I make. (I only REALLY disagree with the last two points Locke made. Playing freeware games is not the same as plagiarism, and neither is piracy. Maybe if you pirate games you shouldn't be able to be upset about people NOT PAYING for your game but piracy != plagiarism.)

I will accept some of the above far as RPG Making goes, but there is no cross-over. If anyone plagiarized any of my actual writing, they'd find themselves sued and then murdered, not necessarily in that order.
yeah i too am pushing the bullshit buzzer at this point. unless you are a crazy absolutist these things are not the same!
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Trying to dissect the "ethics" of this issue is an exercise in futility. Everyone has their own thoughts on the issue and the internet is roughly 0 for 4895893458 for minds successfully changed. Unless you want to run this thread into the ground I would not suggest turning this into a morality debate.
Craze
post=142449
Fuck you. (Yes, stealing resources is easy, even apparently stealing "protected" resources. That has no bearing on how right or wrong it is in any given situation.)

Considering I am being the opposite of hypocritical- being pretty open about some of the not-so-ethical things I and other people do/think about resources- it is kind of ridiculous that you are "calling me out". It is unnecessary, because I am calling myself out. This is like making fun of someone for making a self-deprecating remark. It is a pretty low thing to do!

<Person A> I'm a horrible person because I like to throw people in my basement and torture them; the weaker they are, the better! It's okay because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
<Person B> ...wow, you are a bad person and that is disgusting.
<Person A> FUCK YOU HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT

Max, I'm just glad you don't record yourself dragging KershPoses.png into your Charsets folder.
<Person C> *makes a dumb and pretty irrelevant analogy*
Craze
post=142456
<Person C> *makes a dumb and pretty irrelevant analogy*

Actually, I'm person B.
Craze
Let's take this discussion in a different direction.

I really like Dungeons & Dragons 4e. I already use a lot of its design as inspiration (or flat-out copying) for my own work. I also like the Ebberon setting for D&D 3.5 and 4e (4e especially).

Would an RM* game based on - as in, a D&D 4e game with skills and mechanics and classes and everything taken from the books - be terrible?

On a similar note, chaos is currently working on a card game that is basically Magic + Astral Masters, with chaos's own twists. Is that stealing, or what?

Summary: BRAIN THEFT