RPG MAKER GAME TEAR-JERKERS.

Pages: first prev 1234 last
post=202451
post=202393
It sounds like you just haven't been playing good RM games.
I've played near all RM games that I could get my hands on, minus VX and XP to now, so you'll have to trust me when I say that there's never been a time when "Don't kill him." "I'm gonna kill him for my master!" "SAVE ME, BROTHER!" *unintentionally hilarious death* (even now, I'm laughing) "NOOOOUUURRGHHH!!" was justified. You find me a game that pulls of a death scene correctly and I'll play it.

I've got a scene late in the game in my current RMXP project that I try to successfully pull off a 'serious' RPG Maker death scene, I am actually proud of how it turned out in that regard. It's also probably the only scene I've done for my game that completely transferred from my mind to RPG Maker. Lots of stuff seems to end up lost in translation once it gets tacked onto 2D sprites, RTP characters, Font etc.
post=202393

post=202783
post=202393
I so want to read that.
I have really bad allergies so I can never be too sure when I'm crying.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I just got done playing through Demon Legacy again in an attempt to further understand the story and I had one of those "pause and reflect" moments after Orion's death. I could tell that if tragedy had just recently struck your family in the way of losing a father, grandfather, or father figure, that would probably be more of a tearjerker.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
*cough* I'm the kind of person who cried at the ending of Final Fantasy X (I really disliked Tidus, but I found someone similar with Yuna, her strength of character) and I'm a very very very emotional person who often puts themselves in other people's shoes. I cried at the end of Final Fantasy VIII because it was over, and it had honestly taken me until I was 14-15 years old to finish the game because of that (I never finish anything 8D- besides -my- games!!)
I hated Aeris so I really didn't give a care when she died. As for RM games I really haven't played enough to cry over anything. I guess if the character was well written enough for me to feel emphatically connected to them and a sad scene came up, then I guess I would cry.

By the sounds of it I'm going to have a really tough time with my game ending. :/ (I want you all to blubber like babbies!! *shakes fist*)
I cried in Ara Fell when I knew that there wasn't going to be a sequal, and Josh Cromwell IN Rules Of Value at the ending, but that's about it.
I cried when I accidentally found the weird uterus monsters in Yume Nikki. The sound being made in that place didn't help at all. Also, FACE... ugh...

But I don't think crying from terror counts.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Just so you know, never get too attached to your characters.

Because I almost cried at my own game the other day. I was so angry with myself >:[

EDIT: AND IT WASN'T EVEN THE EFFING ENDING SCENE WHAT THE HELL >:C

This pretty much just emphasizes my last point in my last post :c
Someone once said they were sad at what happened at the end of NigSek. That is literally the first and only time anyone said anything about it, let alone any emotional attachment. Of course that might be because it's possibly still too buggy to get there legitimately. Reap what you sew, I guess.

I think something in The Way made me sad, though I couldn't remember exactly what it was. That game series was by far the most I've been emotionally attached to an RM game to date, though.
I don't think any fiction has ever made me cry, but it's still possible to make me feel sad. The latest piece of fiction that accomplished it is following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ&feature=channel

It's not an RPG Maker game or even a game period though.

I think I got it down what it takes to make me feel sad.

It doesn't work for me if everything feels bad and hopeless for an extended period of time. That makes me feel miserable instead of sad. I has to look like things could have worked out much better, only it didn't. That said, you mustn't bullshit the sad event in. If you do that, I will see incompetent writing rather than a tragedy. In short, make me root for the character the tragedy happens to first and maintain immersion.

As for a game example that worked for me, I'll mention Alundra.
Xenogears made me tear up at a few parts. That game makes me strangely emotional though (more so than I already am, which is alot).

RM games though? ...Nah...

-CM
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Ill Natured 2. Oh gawd, shock value right there.
Pages: first prev 1234 last