LET'S EXAMINE: A LOOK AT WHAT MAKES GAMES GREAT (OR NOT)

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
So, I've been playing Super Mario World in order to better make levels for Super RMN Bros. 2. At the same time, I've been looking back and seeing how it presents certain ideas and rewards in a very user-friendly and almost subconscious way.

Would you guys be interested in videos where I examine good games to see what kind of decisions they make that work, and not-so-good games that mess up the psychology? Feel free to submit ideas; obviously, I'll need to have played the game/have time to play and study the game before going at it, but I'm fairly open.

Current ideas:
-Why the first world of Super Mario World is terrific
-How Karsuman and I could have improved the first part of Visions & Voices
-Why the first part of Cave Story works well (intro through Egg Corridor)
-How kentona successfully trained you in Hero's Realm
-Thanks to Clest: effective early character death in Phantasy Star IV

Please note that requests don't count if they're just "FF6 is a great game!!!" I need a reason - I was vague in the ideas above, but that's because I already know what I'd cover. How did it teach the player, or reward the player inappropriately, or mess you up due to an inconsistency?

I can record PSOne, GBC/GBA, NES, SNES and PC games.
I want to know how I did it, so yes please.
i was going to say "how Final Fantasy VI develops its characters and their relationships effectively" but it looks like you want gameplay-related triumphs
Craze
geodude: Yeah, these are more for running commentary of the beginningish area of a game. Maybe in a replay of FF6 I'll record key scenes and discuss them, but not for this specifically. Story stuff is fine, though! For example, the many plot seeds that are planted in FF6's first fifteen minutes.
So this is like a LP/LT, but commenting on game design?

I like it.
Craze
Blitzen
http://rpgmaker.net/articles/145/Here is one.

I <3 you Blitzen, but you really need to put on your editor's hat and clean up that article.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I like a game with good scenario writing. This is story-related, but not really at the same time. I liked FF6 a lot because it's scenarios were very interest and unique! Rather than the usual dungeon-boss-town. Like ... memorizing lines for an opera, fighting off an army with different parties. It was just refreshing while not being too irritating like Breath of Fire 3, which had a fine plot that was ruined by some of the most dumb scenarios and mini-games ever. In fact, I think most of the main BoFs suffer from it.
I was exactly going to post what YDS and specifically geodude said.

Either way, a fun and short one could be: How Phantasy Star IV made a success ful player character death scene which is both coherent to plot and gameplay and still dramatic. I think this would serve to many people because player character deaths are something very easy to go wrong and frustrate the player.
Craze
Clest
Either way, a fun and short one could be: How Phantasy Star IV made a success ful player character death scene which is both coherent to plot and gameplay and still dramatic. I think this would serve to many people because player character deaths are something very easy to go wrong and frustrate the player.

And it's early in the game, too! I'll add that to the list; maybe I'll get Karsuman to guest-star somehow (it's one of his all-time favorite games).
Just throwing these out there~

Every Wild Arms game has a prologue system where you act out the story of each character. You play out each characters' scenario looking at the events and actions that led up to this character forming with this other group of people, rather than having it explained in a flashback or text.

A lot of people love the simulation sections of Act Raiser, including me, someone who normally hates sim games. Conversely, not a lot of people like the platforming/action stages. Why. WHY. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

And, uh, let me see. I was going to suggest Valkyrie Profile's questionable design decisions, but that's basically the whole game.
Nice XD

Actually, it is one of my top 3 games because it does many things right and about all of them possible with RM.

Like another interesting point: How the game handles robot characters differently while not making them such or overpowered.

Vehicle combat and overall setting.

And yeah, remember Karsunan being a PSIV fan which reminds me that since I am back I should go pester you guys on irc sometime :)
Choice. People love choices.
Craze
I don't think some of you know how to read. :<

(Pssst: look at the OP again. I don't care about your broad, unexplained and completely unhelpful ideas.)
I don't think the prologue system in Wild Arms, which is not really present in any other games I've played, is any less specific than
"Why the first part of Cave Story works well (intro through Egg Corridor)"

Unless you were not referring to me. In which case go back in time and don't read this post.
Current ideas:
-Why the first world of Super Mario World is terrific --- because it shows you a moon, new dinos, Yoshi, vines, variety, switch blocks. Hits you with everything new.

author=Craze
-Why the first part of Cave Story works well (intro through Egg Corridor)

I don't think it worked very well, actually I think the whole game had difficulty ramp issues. It started hard and stayed the same kind of hard right up until the last part where it got impossible. A good game starts out so easy it's laughable and then you can get hard from there.
You're saying that like I didn't say that. And this has nothing to do with how bad or good I am, you see a good game must have a difficulty curve or at least a curve to begin with. Otherwise it doesn't draw you in or really keep you in and it got kind of boring quickly.
Pages: first 12 next last