WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET A BOOK PUBLISHED...?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Check out the I Should Be Writing podcast. Especially in the backlog there are some interesting episodes on trying to get your book published (when the podcaster was going around looking for agents and submitting her book all over the place).
The ability to write, for starters
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=Kef

not necessarily ........ edward cullen vs roy wily.... a wash in my book
author=Ciel
not necessarily ........ edward cullen vs roy wily.... a wash in my book

No no no don't you guys remember?

MY MAVERICKS DO ALL THE TALKING

Dust Man would pwn that sparkly bitch.
I have no idea (although I should), but I would imagine a piece of high (comparatively speaking) quality but also marketable?

I'm still working on it, but I hope to have something good enough to publish within the next few years or so. I don't know how likely horror novels are to get published, however...

But I will find out come 2013!
author=Yeaster
I'm still working on it, but I hope to have something good enough to publish within the next few years or so. I don't know how likely horror novels (geared towards teens and young adults) are to get published, however...

Unless the fad passes quickly: If it has vampires it's good to go (but you might anticipate the trend and go with other supernaturals instead.)
I don't *do* vampires. =P

Well actually, I haven't really tried so far. To be honest, I never really cared that much about vamps. The stuff I like such as Buffy/True Blood/John Carp's Vampires/etc, I liked in spite of the vampires, not because, if that makes any sense.

My thing is sort of inspired by The Evil Dead. If you were to ask me to describe it, it would be a cross between that and Silent Hill.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
When writing, I don't care about fads or what's popular. I write about what I like and I have been obsessed with vampires and werewolves since I was very little.

Stephanie Meyer needs to burn
author=SorceressKyrsty
When writing, I don't care about fads or what's popular. I write about what I like and I have been obsessed with vampires and werewolves since I was very little.

Stephanie Meyer needs to burn

THIS. I'm pretty the same way. I write about stuff I find interesting or entertaining, and hope others will too. I mean, I don't plan of becoming this uber popular author, I just want to get my stuff published and available for the public.

And, yes, vampires are retarded.
It's not the vampires fault that gothic wannabes screwed them up. They're legitimately scary monsters that modern literature has pussyfied. They need a new book or something to transform them back into the frightening beasts they once were. Not Meyer or Rice.

That said, I like to add myths and legends to my own writing. Or at least make my own. Then again, I'm pure fantasy author, so that's my thing.
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant
I mean, I don't plan of becoming this uber popular author, I just want to get my stuff published and available for the public.

Aren't e-books becoming more popular these days? It would probably be easier for people to access it that way. I don't really know anything about that industry or if any money can be made off that(if you want profit) but if you just want public access it might be an option. Hell, just make a .pdf and post it online all over the place. I've read some works that way.

For a writer I could see the desire to have your book in physical form though.
Ive been trying to find this out too. i keep finding all this stuff about patenting the book for starters, but never anything about publishing it.
as much as i love nosferatu and dracula, my favorite vampire is in one of the "scary stories to tell in the dark" books. the ones with the horrifying illustrations. aaaaaaaaaaaaa
author=Xearoth93z
Ive been trying to find this out too. i keep finding all this stuff about patenting the book for starters, but never anything about publishing it.

You can't patent a book. You gain the copyright to your work once it is written. However, if you're going to publish it or sell it, you should submit a copy to the copyright registry. In Canada it is at Library & Archives Canada, and in the US it's the US Copyright Office. It's the gov'ts way of saying "we know you wrote this book," in case there are any conflicts over IP. Your publisher would often take care of that side of things, if you pick one up.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Just, for starters? He doesn't have a book TO PUBLISH.

Of course, I have to FINISH it first

1st Draft and several revisions and extensive independent market research (I do not mean asking people on an internet forum) are all steps that should precede the questions and concerns he's talking about here.

And this is the polite way of putting it.

It's not the vampires fault that gothic wannabes screwed them up. They're legitimately scary monsters that modern literature has pussyfied. They need a new book or something to transform them back into the frightening beasts they once were. Not Meyer or Rice.

Word up. But please don't put Anne Rice in the same camp as Stephanie Meyer or even that True Blood bullshit.

Oddly, vampires are IN several of my most pervasive fictional universes, but the stories are never really ABOUT them.
author=Kef

with every other person on the internet having plans to publish a book this actually may be your best bet
For old school publishing, you must write a manuscript. Then make copies and send it to publishers. Then they send you book deals for 11% and 3 novels and give you an advance. The advance is like a loan without interest. If you are Steven King or someone famous, you can make 90%.

You give them an outline, a rough draft, an unedited copy, an edited copy and a final copy. Editors will cut into your money big time. In fact some publishers have it set up where their friends are editors and they take 25% or 50% of YOUR CUT. I think its BS and the publishers just hire their friends and keep their friends rich.

OR they can just stab you in the back and write something similar.

If you do get a deal, then chances are you sign over legal rights to the character and novel name to the publisher. Some writers even have the publisher own your pen name, but that's usually only for romance novelists.

You can get hired on as a staff writer, which means the publisher gets the rights to a franchise like Batman. Then they make you a staff writer write the book. You get a salary.

Otherwise, just publish online. The catch there is customers paying $6-$8 per paperback instead of $3 with a real publisher. With a real publisher your books end up on a ton of shelves across the world. If you self publish and want them all around the world, then the distributor takes like 15-25% of sales.

Life's a bitch. Everyone will want money, but you can't do it alone. That's how it works.

The way I know this is I've had a few clients that are book publishers. I've silently been in the background on their meetings while I hooked up their computers and made bookkeeping software for them. It wore out my soul hearing some of their meetings with people and each other.
It takes GUTS, kid, it takes having some serious guts! You think you got it? Then maybe, MAYBE you've got what it takes...

... sorry, I haven't ever published a book and I don't personally know anyone that has. Other people have posted better advice in this topic.

Still, best of luck! It doesn't hurt to try this kind of stuff; dream big, follow your heart, etc. etc.. I'm currently editing the first draft of a science fiction novel I wrote for a college class, and I'm really proud of having finished my story. I don't ever intend to seek publishing or anything, I'm just glad to have started and finished such a big project.
Here's a book proposal guideline that I found and have been attempting to use for my novel.

Prepare A Proper Book Proposal Or Letter Of Inquiry
It is best to send a publisher a proposal or letter of inquiry instead of the entire manuscript since few publishers accept unsolicited manuscripts.
BOOK PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
The most important aspect of a manuscript submission to publishers is the book proposal. The author needs to prepare a carefully detailed and compelling proposal to convince a publisher that his or her book is worth publishing. The proposal is extremely valuable in negotiating a good sale by allowing publishers to evaluate the project quickly and to determine their ability to market the book successfully.
Your proposal represents the promise of your book; it must be distinctive and engaging so that the editor becomes enthusiastic about signing your project. The difference between a good proposal and an excellent one can determine whether you receive an offer - and can make the difference between a modest advance and a large one.
Every book is unique, but almost every proposal contains the elements listed below:
About the Book
Give a brief (three to five pages) overview and introduction to your project. Think of this section as the information that would be used in the jacket copy, book synopsis and market survey.
• Describe the reasons you were inspired to write the book and what makes it valuable. Make sure to explain what makes your book different from other, similar books and mention any special features or approaches you offer.
• Give a two or three paragraph synopsis of the contents, illustrating in detail the logic your book follows to satisfy its premise.
• Explain why you as an author are uniquely qualified to write this book. Include relevant experience and credentials, as well as any supporting professional expertise or publishing credits.

Market & Competition
Who is the audience for your book, and why do they need to buy your book? Provide demographic data that reinforces your hypothesis.
Address the competition. List each title that would be in direct competition with your book, along with the author, publisher, and year of publication. Explain why your book would be better, or how it fills a vacant niche in the market.
Chapter Outline
Provide a brief chapter-by-chapter outline of the book. Try to convey both the content and tone of each chapter succinctly. Where possible, use quotations, anecdotes and examples to describe your chapters.
Sample Chapter
Include one or two sample chapters, preferably not the introduction or first chapter, to give the publisher an idea of your writing style and the actual content of the book.
Publishing Details
Describe the physical form you plan for your book. Be sure to include:
• proposed book length, measured in words
• state how many, and what sort of, photographs and/or illustrations will be used
• list any special considerations for book size, format, design or layout
• estimate how much time you will need to deliver the completed manuscript

About the Author
Provide a detailed biography of yourself. Stress your background experience in your field and credentials relevant to your book. If applicable, attach a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae.