WHERE DID RPING GO, AND WHY?

Pages: first prev 123 last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Corfaisus
Why push others to explain their opinion as if they could be swayed upon realizing "Well, I hate the game because... hmm... Because I... err... I don't know. Perhaps I don't, really. I'll give it another shot." If I said that I don't like the taste of chocolate, would anyone who enjoys chocolate really approach me and say, "Geez! Why don't you like chocolate? You know it's actually good for you in some slight way, right?"

Because this is the game design and theory forum, you clownwagon.

The goal is to obtain information, so that we can make our games better. To do this we need to understand exactly what causes people to dislike them. That way we can try to avoid those problems while still including the things people like.

Seriously, why are you even in this forum if that's not your mentality?
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=LockeZ
author=Corfaisus
Why push others to explain their opinion as if they could be swayed upon realizing "Well, I hate the game because... hmm... Because I... err... I don't know. Perhaps I don't, really. I'll give it another shot." If I said that I don't like the taste of chocolate, would anyone who enjoys chocolate really approach me and say, "Geez! Why don't you like chocolate? You know it's actually good for you in some slight way, right?"
Because this is the game design and theory forum, you clownwagon.

The goal is to obtain information, so that we can make our games better. To do this we need to understand exactly what causes people to dislike them. That way we can try to avoid those problems while still including the things people like.

Seriously, why are you even in this forum if that's not your mentality?

This.

If you said "I don't like chocolate" and someone asked why and you said "I don't like the taste" that would be citing a reason. As opposed to just saying you don't like it, you explained what about it was displeasing to you, which could have been texture etc.

So you just deflated your own argument.
author=Bonehead11
Planescape torment, anyone?

Oh yes, Planescape: Torment was wonderful. It's nice seeing people mentioning the likes of Planescape and Arcanum, because those were games where I could really feel for the character and create a personality for them other than 'saint' or 'thug', which is the case for all too many games that tout choice as an option.

Being able to make your own decisions, choose from multiple outcomes aside from "good ending" and "bad ending", having multiple ways to solve a quest, selecting dialogue and to a much lesser extent having the option to customize your character is a huge bonus for me. If the writing is good enough I can get into it regardless (just look at Nier) but general wRPGs are my favorite genre due to how satisfying it is to be able to make your character, decide who they are, and actually impact the world around you.
I always personally see the Role Play element in games such as off the top of my head Icewind Dale or Dragon Age where I personally make this character and I take the role of him or her and effect my judgment on the people I meet and the things that I do.

This is a very different role playing experience in my eyes than any JRPGs. Call it being naive in aspects of old RPGs but since games especially western RPGs I've gone off many aspects in JRPGs because I don't feel that 'Role Playing' experience that gets to me in many western RPGs.
RPGing went mainstream. Its everywhere now. I hear RPG element this, RPG element that.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Craze
Dragon Age is good. Never play it on 360. You have to play it on the PC so that you can get a no-helmet mod.

Dragon Age 2 has a no-helmet option as a default feature. Just sayin'.
author=Chaosbahamut123
Looking at most RPG's, regardless of their origin by region (JRPG/WRPG), it's very difficult to see any RPing actually involved. The core to a successful Roleplaying game, back in the days of tabletop, was the ability to make decisions and have them influence the outcome of the entire game. These weren't just equipment choices - these were choices such as which route to take, how you gathered information, whethered you worked cohesively or frequently bickered with your team. All of these added flavour to the story, depth to your characters, and immersion to the whole experience.
I tried to find a few games with RPing in them, and so far, only Persona 4 and Vampires: The Masquerade came out on top. Oblivion and Fallout do try, but... eh, it doesn't quite cut it for my standards. Fable, too, takes a stab at it, but it trivializes a lot of aspects of RP and gives you very limited choice. Outside of that, the only choices I could find in recent RPG's were equipment choices and the occasional dialogue option, that had absolutely no impact on the game itself.

So I ask you this. Where did Roleplaying go, and Why?
Furthermore, seeing as this is the Design/Theory thread, I'll put a question to the RPG designers:
Supposing that time, money, and any other limiting factors were not constraining you or your team, would you try to incorporate elements of Roleplaying into your RPG's?
I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I thought rpgs is when you have levels, stats, quests, items, exploration and a usually long story? At least thats the minimum of what every rpg I've ever played had in it.

*Gulp* I hope I don't get attacked.
author=McBick
I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I thought rpgs is when you have levels, stats, quests, items, exploration and a usually long story? At least thats the minimum of what every rpg I've ever played had in it.

*Gulp* I hope I don't get attacked.

Yes, there's that. But actual RPing - for me, anyway (different people have different ideass about it) - harks back to the pen 'n' paper days of old, where you had the option to fill a role and stick to it i.e. in Vampire: The Requiem, from the World of Darkness series, not only could you choose race, class, stats etc., but the course of the game depended partly, if not entirely, on your ability to stick to your character's personality and roles, instead of flitting to the best course of action.

I guess the essential thing is, instead of being given a set role (like, say, playing as Cloud or Lightning in FF), you'd choose your role and act it out. In the case of sandbox RPG's, like Fallout, Oblivion, and Fable, you're rarely given the chance to do something like this. The quests give you one course of action, and whilst there's limited choice in choosing what quests you take, ultimately if you don't, you lose out.
It kinda sounds like your talking about sim games. Where all your decisions affect your game play. Also have you tried those visual novel games they usually give you lots of choices. I can actually name many games that involve game changing decisions, so I don't know what you mean by there aren't any games that you can RP.
It's not entirely about "game-changing decisions", and I'm not talking about simulacra, either. The elements of roleplay extend past big decisions. It's about little niches of gameplay that allow you to express your character, and how other characters respond to that. RPing is awfully limited, where it is present - things like the morality system in Fable/Mass Effect, or the relationships of Dragon Age...

Like I said before, RPing means different things to different people. It means sim games and game-changers to you, and for me it's a little more subtle.
I think I understand now. You want sim + rpg elements in a game. I have to agree there aren't many of those.
Pages: first prev 123 last