YOUR OPINION ON RTP

Pages: first 12 next last
Hey, I just wanted to get you guys opinion on RTP graphics. I hear often people complaining about RTP being used. I am hard at work on a game on RPG Maker 2000, which I started several years ago. When I started creating it I did not know much about RPG maker 2000, so I automatically chose to use RTP graphics for the heroes, yet at this point in time, I feel, I have really learned to use the program well. I am creating my own custom created characters, art, music, etc, but
one thing keeps bugging me is that I have grown sort of attached to my RTP heroes in the game.

I really want people to be able to play this game and enjoy it, as much as I have in it's creation, and I was wondering how you guys feel about this subject, and how much of a "turn off" RTP heroes are to you guys. Do you think I should just "face the pain" and change my characters, or just keep going with them as they are.

I am not really wanting to do away with my RTP heroes.

I'd say this is your answer. You should do exactly what you like, that's the purpose of making your own game. You arn't in this to satisfy others are ya?

But seriously, I love RTP, especially 2000's. 2000 probably had the best RTP of any of them. Either way, RTP or not, if the game behind the visuals is of good quality, people will look past the RTP.
personal, it doesnt matter to me, i think the rtp is fine, but if you want to set yourself apart from the rest, you might want to find some new graphics, or just switch yours up a bit. all the same i dont think it would matter to much, it really depends on gameplay and storyline for me
To me, i like RTP graphics. In my games that i create now i use a lot of brand new graphics but i also like to stick some originals in as well. If you want to stick with your RTP graphics then do so.
Love.

<3

<3

<3

What? You expected something else from the self-proclaimed RTPrincesss?

I really like the RTP (especially 2000) and how easy it is to use and edit. ^.^
2K - RTP Perfection
2K3 - Not bad, though many don't like it.
XP - Not too bad.
VX - I like it, though I'll agree that it is rather square.
I normally avoid the RTP like the plauge, but only for my own games. Since I never use the RTP its actually refreshing to see it used, RTP never stops me from downloading and playing other games. I throughly agree with Chartley too.
RTP is fine (except VX charsets, but that's just me) to me. I usually use RTP map graphics, but tend to throw in my own charsets and whatnot.
I don't see anything wrong with the RTPs (except VX being rediculously square 'n all, it reminds me back in the day when transparencies were optional). Here's the obligatory "As long as you use it right" statement, but that applies to everything. Really, there's no reason why not to use it if it what you want.

Another bonus point for the RTP is that it isn't rediculously hard to use, like several other chipsets (or incomplete, for that matter).

Just don't use any of those fancy "Addition" RTP packs like Don's 1.3 RTP for Rm2k. That only resulted in compatability headaches and they aren't worth using. If you really want to use them, just include those graphics in your game instead of assuming other people installed the same RTP as you.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I am a fan of the 2k3 RTP. I don't think the rest are as good.
Yes, i used to get turned off by rpg maker 2000's faceset graphics. It was used in the legion saga games which was quite annoying to me.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=808.msg10712#msg10712 date=1205950036
I don't see anything wrong with the RTPs (except VX being rediculously square 'n all)

I think that for homebrew development that sort of style is much better-suited to prototyping than someone that breaks the grid. I won't really get into explaining why.

I think that the RTP is cute and everything and I am pretty certain that I prefer it over rips because rips are really fucking retarded, but I can't say I like it when every game looks like the same thing. Really I wish there were a greater breadth of royalty-free resources out there or people willing to take the time to get at least good enough at spriting to make a somewhat-presentable homebrew but unfortunately there are not. There have been numerous efforts to try and get RTP-replacement packages created but as the nature of hobbies go people usually don't want to commit themselves too seriously so it never happens. I'm really bummed that the Mac'n'Blue guy/s were hired to make the official tiles for the newer RPGMakers because that means that there wasn't anyone to make REFMAP packs for XP and VX.

Also holy shit it makes me so depressed that nobody in the US scene picked up on XP and VX because the resolutions were incompatible with their stolen Super Nintendo graphics. SERIOUSLY GUYS
RTP never really bothered me. I find those graphics to be somewhat charming, it reminds me of when I first started out. The RTP stuff isn't ugly or anything, it's quite simple and easy on the eyes. The main issue that I have with RTP is that a tremendous amount of people use it, making their games look like 100 other games.

As for XP and VX, can't say I've used it but I have already grown tired of VX's stuff because of the size and how blocky it appears to be. I personally prefer more pixelated stuff, something both XP and VX lack.
XP and VX support SNES (and other pixelated) stuff just fine. You just need to spend the five minutes of work converting your RM2k(3) tilesets to XP/VX tilesets.

Well, the font won't look perfect, but there's likely one that'll match the intended "256x224" resolution look (well, except that RM2k(3) ran at 320x240, so that's still not real SNES style)
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
RTP are there for a reason, use them, there as good as any other charset
Hey really quick does anyone now how much RPG Maker VX cost I know RPG Maker XP costs about $60.00
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=808.msg10808#msg10808 date=1206044544
RTP are there for a reason, use them, there as good as any other charset
Hey really quick does anyone now how much RPG Maker VX cost I know RPG Maker XP costs about $60.00

http://www.download.com/Rpg-Maker-VX/3000-2121_4-10815920.html
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Just like any other graphics that have been used again and again, RTP is old and stale. It's like if every play you ever went to used the exact same props and actors, eventually it would become extremely difficult to suspend your disbelief and you'd be focusing on that same background you'd seen in 80 other stories.
Many people just believe that RTP graphics are good for people starting out with the program. Then after some time they will move on from that and start to use custom graphics. But i would have to disagree that RTP is "old and stale".
If you want my opinion, I'd say change the map graphics a slight bit, like RTP edits, and RTP charset edits if a you want it to be old-school. Otherwise, get custom charsets and custom tilesets for your game. I'd recommend that.
Hu hu, I see the polemic is the same as in the french community. xD

To me the RTP are not ugly. The XP and the VX graphics especially are really beautiful. But... Too much makers are using them. Therefore, the projects are loosing in originality and "personality".

By the way, I prefer seeing makers using RTP than makers ripping professional games. Most of the time the authors are even not credited, I think it's not really "moral".

As you may understand, I'm a big defender of custom graphics. xD

PS :

@Loki : Yep, edits are one solution. But the edits are not often correctly made so...
author=dreampainter link=topic=808.msg10688#msg10688 date=1205899899
Hey, I just wanted to get you guys opinion on RTP graphics. I hear often people complaining about RTP being used. I am hard at work on a game on RPG Maker 2000, which I started several years ago. When I started creating it I did not know much about RPG maker 2000, so I automatically chose to use RTP graphics for the heroes, yet at this point in time, I feel, I have really learned to use the program well. I am creating my own custom created characters, art, music, etc, but
one thing keeps bugging me is that I have grown sort of attached to my RTP heroes in the game.

I really want people to be able to play this game and enjoy it, as much as I have in it's creation, and I was wondering how you guys feel about this subject, and how much of a "turn off" RTP heroes are to you guys. Do you think I should just "face the pain" and change my characters, or just keep going with them as they are.

I decided to go a little original and modify every RTP char and battle charset to make Ruins Of Azgayle. If you look at my games characters (CLICK MY SIG) you will notice they have been changed in many ways to my own liking. However, they still have a slight RTP feel to them but nothing to heavy. I thought this method would be really fun and original and also give me full customization on my battle sprites.

One thing you can do with 2003 RTP battlers is remove their smiley mouths and replace them with a more serious looking mouth. Also, recolor their skin to a darker tone and you really start getting a much better looking character sprite. That's what I did and more with my game.

Overall, if your game has a great story and game play, you can make a very good game with RTP.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Pages: first 12 next last