DOES ANYONE STILL PLAY DOTA?

Pages: first 12 next last
I haven't played in awhile and was thinking of starting up again. Does anyone still play this? I've played HoN recently and LoL but I wanted to go back and relive the old game. Anyone who has played this recently, is it worth picking back up again? Also, who is waiting for dota 2?
Unfortunately DotA has lost the majority of its playerbase and it is difficult to find games. Heroes of Newerth is the best replacement, as it is just DotA in a newer engine and further updated. It is significantly better than DotA. LoL is a step sideways for the genre, so it is more difficult to compare.

I would love to try DotA 2, but I have a feeling that Heroes of Newerth will continue to be the competitive gaming standard for the genre.

My player name in HoN is Cpt_Failboat if you are interested in a game sometime (not now) add me as a Buddy. Some nights I will play from 10:30-11pm EST until 5-6am in the morning with a group of 2-4 other people.
Buy starcraft II and play SOTIS. It's better in every way.
I still log in and play League of Legends every once in awhile.
SOTIS has massive balance issues that only come from years of a game being available. It will get better, but after ~2 years its still not up to snuff compared to DotA, and especially HoN.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=prexus
Unfortunately DotA has lost the majority of its playerbase and it is difficult to find games.

In the realms I played in it was like DOTADOTADOTADOTADOTA all over the frikin place with bothosts.. course that was a while ago when I was pissed that all my SoTDRPs weren't being hosted anymore :|
I haven't played dota in a couple months. I do however watch videos at: http://www.dotacommentaries.com/

Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I like LoL when I'm real bored
I recently installed LoL again, like it many times more than DotA, never played HoN... I like how LoL did many things differently, instead of copying DotA.... besides, its free, its easy and quick to find games, its got normal and ranked play, 2 maps, new heroes updates, quite good balance, and can be a lot of fun when you get the right people on both teams....

However, as with most online coop games, if you have fun or not depends on the teammates and enemies
if your team sucks, doesnt think and feeds-->no fun
if enemy team sucks, you steamroll them, no challenge-->no fun
if somebody leaves, 5v4, usually guaranteed win/loss--->no fun
half of your team is made of smartass assholes who just make you want to slap them--> ARGH
you get my point :) Thats why I play and enjoy singleplayer games more, but I still play it and ocasionally have a lot of fun
Magi
Resident Terrapin
LoL used to be the best DotA clone, but it has become unplayable thanks to Riot's poor business model. (Release overpowered new champion > people purchase in mass > nerf new champion > repeat)

Somewhat similar to DotA, Bloodline Champions seems to be the most promising game for the future of the arena combat genre...
author=Magi
LoL used to be the best DotA clone, but it has become unplayable thanks to Riot's poor business model. (Release overpowered new champion > people purchase in mass > nerf new champion > repeat)

Except that isn't what happens... Like, at all.

The last few champions have actually been pretty lackluster and were buffed afterwards. Caitlyn, Nocturne, Jarvan isn't even that great.

Bloodline champions isn't anything close to being similar to Dota or LoL, by the way.
author=TehGuy
author=prexus
Unfortunately DotA has lost the majority of its playerbase and it is difficult to find games.
In the realms I played in it was like DOTADOTADOTADOTADOTA all over the frikin place with bothosts.. course that was a while ago when I was pissed that all my SoTDRPs weren't being hosted anymore :|

Yeah, you see DOTA DOTA DOTA DOTA DOTA but they are all bot hosts and have one, maybe two people in them. Thats the problem. If there were less bots, there would be more people per game and you could actually play it.
I used to be an avid DotA player, but have since moved to League of Legends. In my opinion, Riot managed to correct alot of DotA's shortcomings, and made the game different in a more fun and intuitive way. No more creep denying, which made games slow and stagnant. Deaths are not -quite- as detrimental, because you don't lose gold when you die. And snowballing doesn't occur quite as easily. You can't just feed your agility carry a couple kills and have him win the game. In DotA, the game could often be determined within the first few kills. In LoL, people often see it that way, but the game is alot more team oriented... the team that works best together will win.

They've also added a Co-op vs AI mode, which if you're a competent player, isn't that difficult, but makes it nice when you want to just try out new champions, or dick around with silly/different builds for your champion.

Magi mentioned something about Riot releasing nothing but OP champs, etc. This simply isn't true. Sure, it has happened in the past, but they're always quick to fix any balancing issues that arise because of it. Plus with ranked play and the ability to ban specific champions, playing against that single OP champ rarely happens. Although right now, I wouldn't say there really is an OP champ to be spoken for.

My username is Narcodis on there. If anyone ever feels up to a game, just PM me and say you're from RMN, and we'll rock it.
Magi's problem wasn't that the new heroes were OP; It was that you have to buy them, and you do, because they are OP, and then they nerf them a week or two later.

Creep Denying/Tower Denying was a huge part of what separated average players and good players in DotA. Knowing how fast your heroes attack animation was, and how much damage they did to a creep after armor/etc. was crucial and something that you couldn't just 'know', you had to practice.

I realize not everyone shares the same opinion (which is why I believe LoL and HoN can exist in the same market) but I think that the subtle differences (denying, gold loss on death, heroes being direct counters to other heroes) is what makes HoN stand out as a competitive game, against League of Legends which is great for casual playing but I don't feel that there is a good competitive feel to the game.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I just started playing LoL a little while ago, playing with a friend sometimes. It was good fun, I found I really like the brutalizer champions who can stay alive and hopefully keep the squishy champs alive (as long as they don't start charging into the enemy ranks -_-)

You don't always win, but I usally have a good time.

I'm so forgetful, I like to have a "cheat sheet" handy to remember what items to buy for my character, and what skills to get. I'm only level 8 so i don't bother with the runes.

Even though I don't partake myself often, I love how they rotate free champions every week, so there's always a new challenge, or maybe there was someone you were thinking of buying and now you can try them out.

So far, my favs are Dr. Mundo, and Nunu.
Magi's problem wasn't that the new heroes were OP; It was that you have to buy them, and you do, because they are OP, and then they nerf them a week or two later.

...and it doesn't even happen anymore. New champion released for april fools: general consensus is that he blows ass.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Not to mention you don't have to actually buy them, you can slowly earn them. hell, the ones you can afford right at the beginning are some of the best, so it's not really an issue.

Nunu, Ashe, Sivir are all good, and through some complicated alchemy you can get Tristana for free by liking things on facebook.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I unlocked Twisted Fate just by biting my tongue and not spending points until I could afford him, and he is boss, everybody trips bawls when you start Prophecy-ganking people, especially if they've never seen him before.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I don't have a gank character, I'll have to try him out.
Pages: first 12 next last