THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Milos
Lone Wolf, or something cool.
This is a map for my game I made like half a year ago. It's the Trade District of my city, after shit got real :) (Invasion)

author=Arandomgamemaker
Well, no screenshot in months....so........

First Town

World Map (Northern Hemisphere)

One problem i've been having with inside maps is the lack of "things" in them, which makes them seem really empty. Any advice on that?

@Adon
I also agree with Craze. I would also suggest working on shadows, mostly.

The roofs of the two houses have overlapping tiles. Try not to make your maps too big. Condense them a little. Also, try not to add too much "symmetry" in your maps, your town doesn't have loads of symmetry, but you can see it remotely.

For mapping interiors, try and make them small as possible, but try and make them have an average side. A living room of an ordinary house in real life doesn't take no more than 10 steps to get to the living room from the door.

Make sure you don't paste everything to the "walls" of the interior. That's always a common error seen in many maps. Add things like shelves and wall shelves on the walls.

Start with a blank screen first (usually the tile which represents the outer wall), then add floor tiles to draw a rough size for the inside of the house with floor tiles. I find this a method I learned in my beginner days of rpg maker and I still do it to this day.

Interiors are definitely maps you should always try and make a reasonably small size.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try your suggestions.

What did you mean about my roof tiles overlapping, by the way?

They go past the sides of a house (I don't think that's what you want, right?)

I'm not used to mapping small towns, as my mapping style is this;

Float-y!
Lol, it certainly is floaty. (I actually did intend for it to look that way.)
author=Essenceblade

cool

Those cave entrances should be a tad shorter, though.
Are you remaking Ara Fell or something?
author=Arandomgamemaker
Lol, it certainly is floaty. (I actually did intend for it to look that way.)

Ah I see!

author=Dyhalto
Are you remaking Ara Fell or something?

Negative. I had the floating world idea in my head even before I knew Ara Fell even existed. I just luckily came across FSM and its floating world outlook. It only looks like Ara Fell because its got that "world in the sky" theory, and the fact that there is the use of FSM here.

author=Link_2112
cool

Those cave entrances should be a tad shorter, though.

Yeah, I've just been a little too lazy to adjust the size of them. Though I REALLY should. Out of all the things I edited from REFMAP tilesets, I didn't really pay attention to the gap size.

*afktoopenphotoshop*
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's very nice Essenceblade, I always loved the idea of floating cities/worlds.
When done right it's usually really beautiful and gives some magic to the surrounding.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Arandom, that town is uberbad. I don't like the chibi building look, but I guess a lot of people do, so that's not the real problem. The main issue is that there is waaaaaaay too much empty space. Try fitting the entire town in a 20x25 tile area and see how much better it looks. For your consideration here is the first town from Pokemon Red/Blue, which has about the same amount of stuff in it as your town:

It's a little too neatly lined up, but it all fits on a 20x20 area and still manages to feel like it's too empty.

So here's something I just made for my game, the front entrance to a naval base:

I think it's a little empty-looking, but there are only so many doodads you can put in the middle of a road. You can put potholes, and stains, and... yeah that's about it.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hero will break into the base, haha. I would use the sewers, but the last sewer area was still too recent. Maybe he'll just talk his way in.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Serious Final Fantasy VIII vibes, but that because FF8 controls every aspect of my life.

I've only been working on secret gam lately so I have nothing to show you guys, sorry ;3;

HE CAN GET IN BY STEALING ONE OF THE MILITARY'S VEHICLES AND DRESSING UP *is shot*
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The biggest problem with that option isn't that it's overdone, it's that it requires me to sprite an army truck. I make my game design decisions based around what sprites I already have because I'm a terrible human being. OTL Otherwise I wouldn't finish though.

I guess I can probably find a rip of one though, from some game or another.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Looks really good, I'd say, now, as usual. A very farfetched idea, not overdone : he could jump in one of those containers and a soldier would roll him up to some place...?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Essenceblade, Karsuman and I only knew that wasn't Ara Fell because it didn't have butterflies or shitty lighting effects. I'm pretty sure that's even the same panorama.

use ace
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Really, beautiful, I love the sprites.
author=Essenceblade
Negative. I had the floating world idea in my head even before I knew Ara Fell even existed.

I hate when that happens. You think you have a novel idea, and then you find out it's either been done or bears striking resemblance to something else.

author=LockeZ
I'm still trying to figure out how the hero will break into the base, haha. I would use the sewers, but the last sewer area was still too recent. Maybe he'll just talk his way in.

Just hop the fence.
The barbwire is on the ground, ffs :D
author=Dyhalto
author=Essenceblade
Negative. I had the floating world idea in my head even before I knew Ara Fell even existed.
I hate when that happens. You think you have a novel idea, and then you find out it's either been done or bears striking resemblance to something else.

Yeah, that's it. Once I did find out it existed, I knew I'd be in for "Oh, that looks like Ara Fell". But I wasn't going to give up my idea I'd had since I was 9/10. I'm just gonna have to deal with it. Though I do give Ara Fell my accommodation, because it was a really good and well presented game.

EDIT: KW, that's a nice looking map :D Keep up the good work!
@Miracle: Looks nice, small maps work the best, great use of space.
@InfectionFiles: Ill make the majority of the NPCs animated, I feel like it brings the map together.
@Nightowl: Appreciate it, Ill be sure to make your subscription worth it.
@LockeZ: I like it a lot.
@KW: Good work.