THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

plugging away

Does the palette feel too vibrant? Tried editing different tiles together.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Something about the sand columns in the second screenshot look off, though it looks fine in the first screenie.
Possibly the floir tile underneath?

It's beautiful, felt like I had to say something other than how nice it looks!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
No shadow behind them perhaps IF? Also if you can't actually jump to that cliff face on that river then that's just a tease Blindmind lol. But yeah they look great, can never go wrong with vibrancy!
Yeah, the only problem with those two screenshots is the general complete randomness of the pillars. Who would place pillars there? It's a mystery to all involved. Even if there is a temple or some vestige of human civilization nearby, they're still sort of plopped at random.

But too vibrant? Nonsense, it looks great!
author=Tau
No shadow behind them perhaps IF? Also if you can't actually jump to that cliff face on that river then that's just a tease Blindmind lol. But yeah they look great, can never go wrong with vibrancy!

Haha actually yes, the river is passable! The hero can "jump" over two-tile stretches, hence that little island he's standing on. (Is that what you meant lol?) I tried to design the whole area that way so it's less of just a linear path.

Thanks for the feedback! The pillar probably stands out the most because it was the only tile that wasn't recolored from the original.

Here's a few others from that area:

And Kaempfer, your stuff is looking great as well! :D
damn that's pretty! I like it very much. Are those water tiles transparent char sets?
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
@Blindman: Those are beautiful. I love the map composition, arrangement and contrast.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Blindmind, purveyor of the very finest screenshots since 2004. XD
InfectionFiles
Blindmind - Shark of mapping contests everywhere. Throws off opponents by using the word "blind" in username.
Wow, those are pretty. Nice use of the Seiken Densetsu 3 mountains, too. Those can be a real pain in the ass to work with, but they work wonderfully here.
After spending forever working on completing my battle system, it started becoming more and more obvious that the rough, boring grey-on-black programmer art UI was holding my game back more than anything else.

But I can't art, so I tried doing rips & edits from various places (then writing a bunch of menu code to hook everything up). Results:

Edit: Ehh, this forum doesn't like large screenshots. Resizing. Gonna make them a little blurry, unfortunately. Click for full size.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Kaelan, that's a really pretty UI. Even if it's a rip, good choice of what to rip.

Mister Big T, that is one boring-ass field of trees.

I understand that you're running out of space on your tileset, but some things need to be fixed in an otherwise great shot.

"Yikes" alludes to the four tiles pointed out that form some pretty obvious tile banding. It's impossible for every tile to fit together perfectly in cliffs like these, but the four hard lines in a row caught my eye right away. My suggestion would be to change the right side tile along the top of the waterfall by adding a partial rock tile from the top layer; it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to obscure the line and match in terms of texture (rocky, sand, whatevs) and to replace that right tile (third from right, the shadowy one).

The "fix" really needs to be matched with the surrounding tiles better. Again, I know you're strapped for tiles, but if you don't have space for three tiles to form a bridge, consider moving it onto a charset. Normally this would be only a minor issue, but everything else looks so natural and flows together so well that this bridge looks like it was cut and paste in from another screenshot. It's very inorganic.
InfectionFiles
The bridge does seem out of place, I agree on that one.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist

We're almost done with the mansion. This is the children's room, so far I think it is my favorite, it is really creepy.
author=Kaempfer
I understand that you're running out of space on your tileset, but some things need to be fixed in an otherwise great shot.

The "fix" really needs to be matched with the surrounding tiles better. Again, I know you're strapped for tiles, but if you don't have space for three tiles to form a bridge, consider moving it onto a charset. Normally this would be only a minor issue, but everything else looks so natural and flows together so well that this bridge looks like it was cut and paste in from another screenshot. It's very inorganic.

Wow, yeah, I can see what you mean! That map was a little rushed-through, I admit! I appreciate you providing feedback in such depth. :) I'll try and condense the bridge so it isn't so obtuse and clunky.

author=Pulits
http://wickedtest.wickedmemory.com/mansion2ndroom.jpgWe're almost done with the mansion. This is the children's room, so far I think it is my favorite, it is really creepy.
I've said this on your gamepage as well, but I ADORE what your artist is doing with the backdrops. ;D They provide such a painterly aesthetic to the project, yet still adhering to the grid structure of Rm2k3. We really haven't seen this level of detail in original background design for quite a while. My only complaint is the character sprite - which naturally stands out a tad. But I think it's more an issue of contrast and lightness than his size. Perhaps if he were darkened (and shaded more thoroughly), it wouldn't seem as jarring.

Since I haven't put up any screens here from Tristian in a while. They're from the new demo.
Looks beautiful! I love the organic colors on that screenshot, looks like a delightful place to explore. (I don't get the shadows on those candle-things, though.)
And the drawing on the cutscene is really good! Though I can spot some vertical stretching. Try to expand it horizontally like 10%! >.<
Anyways, vewy nies! *u*