IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY FULL SCREEN IF...

Pages: first 12 next last
...the lowest resolution you can display is 800x600? Also is there a way to automatically open up a game in a smaller window mode besides opening it with an editor and running it? I don't mean adjusting the size of the screen when it is opened, but before it opens.

Edit: Engine is rm2k3
What engine? Sometimes there's a config file you can edit to make it windowed. Occasionally the classic ctrl-enter also works. And the best games have a "full-screen checkbox in an option menu somewhere"
Sorry, forgot to put engine.
Engine: rm2k3
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
The short answer is, yes, you can play in full screen even if Windows is telling you the lowest resolution it can go is 800x600.
F4

or

Alt+Enter

Can't remember which one for which Rm.
author=KingArthur
The short answer is, yes, you can play in full screen even if Windows is telling you the lowest resolution it can go is 800x600.

Can you explain how? If I try to go full screen on my new monitor I get the following error:
directdraw error DDERR_EXCEPTION
Also all my stuff is up to date and directx features are all enabled. I have the latest directx as well. I can however play in window mode if I test the game in the editor.

author=NewBlack
F4

or

Alt+Enter

The game automatically opens in full window. I'm asking if I can open it up in a small window automatically.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=McBick
author=KingArthur
Can you explain how? If I try to go full screen on my new monitor I get the following error:
directdraw error DDERR_EXCEPTION
Also all my stuff is up to date and directx features are all enabled. I have the latest directx as well. I can however play in window mode if I test the game in the editor.

author=NewBlack
F4

or

Alt+Enter

The game automatically opens in full window. I'm asking if I can open it up in a small window automatically.

Run the game from inside the editor
KingArthur
If memory serves, there were some command line parameters to run RPG_RT.exe windowed from outside the editor (more specifically, to run RPG_RT.exe in "game test" mode from outside the editor). I'd look at Cherry's posts here, I think he mentioned them in a topic in this section of the forums a long while ago.
A quick google gave me this:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/109/

(edit: And I tested it and it works wonderfully, just follow those instructions)
author=KingArthur
Can you explain how its possible to play full screen if my monitor doesn't support anything below 800x600?

author=Shinan
A quick google gave me this:
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/109/

(edit: And I tested it and it works wonderfully, just follow those instructions)
Thanks, I should now be able to play protected rm2k3 games. I couldn't before because the editor would crash if I opened the game in it and I can't play full screen because my monitor doesn't support the resolution.

Edit: I tried that method, but I don't think that works for my os(Windows 7).
author=McBick
author=KingArthur
Can you explain how its possible to play full screen if my monitor doesn't support anything below 800x600?

Usually it tends to automatically upscale it. Making it look a bit fuzzy at the edges (and generally fugly). But I guess there are certain drivers/cards (like yours apparently) that don't even support that.
Video_Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Video_AdapterRAM: 1024MB
Video_DriverVersion: 8.663.0.0

This is what I have.
I just downloaded one of cherry's patches which stretches the game to the resolution I have set, so I can now play in full screen. Also I'm still looking for a way to automatically open the game in window mode. I'd still like to know if its possible to play full screen if my monitor doesn't support anything lower then 800x600, that doesn't need patches to the engine.
KingArthur
McBick

Fullscreen for RM2K(3) games is flakey depending on the driver/video card since the resolution is so small at 320x240. I personally don't have problems (though I did have problems on an older machine with an ATI video card; my current machine has an Nvidia), and that's why I said the short answer was "yes". The good news is that it isn't impossible, but I'm afraid you're going to have to experiment here.

McBick
Edit: I tried that method, but I don't think that works for my os(Windows 7).

Did you take note that the command line parameters need to be in a specific place (ie: first parameter, second parameter, etc.) for them to work? I doubt Windows 7 handles shortcuts differently from XP and older.
Yes, I read the comments below the tutorial, but it kept telling me invalid target. These are the parameters I added. "TestPlay""HideTitle""Window" I also tried changing them to every other possible order, but nothing worked just kept getting invalid target. Perhaps my .net framework is outdated? I doubt it thought, just got the computer a year ago.

Edit: I just checked I have the latest, so guess its not my .net framework.
KingArthur
"I:\RPG Maker 2000\Project\Moo\RPG_RT.exe" "TestPlay" "HideTitle" "Window"
The string above (replace the directory with your own), when given in the "Target" field, works out wonderfully.
Oh, I didn't space them. It works now thanks.

author=Shinan
author=McBick
author=KingArthur
Usually it tends to automatically upscale it. Making it look a bit fuzzy at the edges (and generally fugly). But I guess there are certain drivers/cards (like yours apparently) that don't even support that.

I don't think its my card because I can play full screen on my other two monitors. They both go up to 1920x1080 resolution. I don't use them because they're already in use.
KingArthur
Monitors also play a part since, in theory, a video card can render any resolution (or should, anyway), only being limited by the monitor the video card is attached to.

Obviously, if your video card wasn't up to par then that'd also be a problem, but it's probably not given your statement.

Best way is to simply experiment as I mentioned earlier; there's no universal solution since everyone's computer has an almost unique combination of hardware and software.
Hello!

Because regularely people have problems with fullscreen, I created a tool called "AnotherFullscreenMode", which allows you to play any RM2k(3) game in fullscreen without changing the resolution - the image will be scaled. Additionally, you can use filters (Scale2x and hq2x) for a better quality.

First, start your game (in windowed mode, use the TestPlay ShowTitle Window thing mentioned earlier in this thread). Then start AnotherFullscreenMode. By pressing F6 you can switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, F7 shows or hides the FPS.

Using F8, you can set the filter: none -> Scale2x -> hq2x

Download the tool here: http://cherrytree.at/downloads/afm.rar

PS: Here is an example how the hq2x filter looks for a RM2k3 game:

author=Cherry
hq2x... better quality.

something is amiss
Pages: first 12 next last