THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT - PERCEPTION OF DESIGNER & PLAYER "RESPONSIBILITIES" IN AMATEUR & COMMERCIAL VIDEO GAMES

This doesn't mean that gamers won't give good feedback, just that fellow amateur game makers are more likely to give better feedback.

I see it in a way that regular players are able to fill in holes that game dev players tend to miss. Not some 'this is better than this' idea. Honestly I feel sometimes being able to make RM games robs enjoyment of RM games, and that I am probably too nitpicky or just completely wrong in some areas of a game that other people are fine with. There are just so many different factors involved with this. People making games should just get as much variety in feedback as they can.

author=Creation
I was actually about to comment your latest blog, space_monkey with some suggestions but if I understand correctly it's not what you're looking for. It's fine by the way, I'm just glad you're letting us now what your expectations are (unless I missed the point which is possible as I didn't read everything).

That’s just my opinion.

Well, in my latest blog post I ask for opinions about the random battle scenarios that I described so I do want feedback about that.

If I post a screenshot though I don't really need lockeZ showing up saying that he hates 8 bit and that I should make it modern or that it would be better as an FPS than a tactical RPG.

AND bugs are another story. If there is a game crashing error or if there is a mistake on the mapping, let me know!

But I see people post pics all the time and the things they post are NICE. Yet they constantly get criticized and put down and when they finally "fix" it to the critic's satisfaction, it looks practically the same as it did before they change it.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
author=LockeZ
I do always try to tell people if I know something they're doing wrong, yes. It would be extremely selfish of me not to give them help if I'm capable of doing so.

Don't take your own posts so seriously because often times people will disagree about what they think is wrong or not. When posting I always try to hold back on the criticism so I don't offend people.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
@ Link : "precise" is better, but what is precised can be a different point of view or opposed to the unprecise point of view of a non game maker, if you see what i mean...?(i really type too slowly!)
"When posting I always try to hold back on the criticism.so i don't offend people", as an general rule, i think that's a good idea.
author=Darken
I see it in a way that regular players are able to fill in holes that game dev players tend to miss.

Yup, that is true too. Getting perspective of the game from different types of players is the best outcome. I guess I'm just speaking from my point of view in that I can't still play a game like a gamer but when I do have something to say I can be more specific as a developer. Just like you have your point of view that your too nitpicky cause you also make games, I don't feel that I suffer from this. (Mostly cause I have played and made so few games, before I came to this site I never even heard of Rudra hahah)

author=Darken
People making games should just get as much variety in feedback as they can.

Agreed. (but I still think some can be just a bit more important than others xD)

author=chana
@ Link : "precise" is better, but what is precised can be a different point of view or opposed to the unprecise point of view of a non game maker, if you see what i mean...?(i really type too slowly!)

um, I think I understand.

I should say that I'm thinking more along the lines of feedback on bugs and technical issues. In that case the more precise the feedback, the quicker the problem can be identified and fixed. I never really considered feedback about visuals in my statement, so in that case there is no 'better' feedback.
chana
@ Link : "bugs", technical issues", in that case, yes of course.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Protip: Don't judge a RM game's playerbase by the dudes who regularly post in the forums. The playerbase of an average RM game is much, much, much bigger. Hero's Realm has what, over 10,000 downloads now?

Feld, not really central to any of my points, but since when is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL GAME EVER "an average game"? HR is many things, but not average.

(although counting everywhere it's ever been hosted, most saliently GW in the olden days, Iron Gaia must have close to 10,000 total downloads over the past ten years or so)

author=Ephiam
I also remember of an older man PMing me regarding Dragon Fantasy II, and how to get through certain parts of the game. Turns out that when he reached the final boss, he thought that he was under-leveled and didn't have a good enough party... and so decided to start over AGAIN. Then within a week he'd reached the end of the game once again, and finally completed it. That was an awesome feeling. Lol. Not only that, but he thought the game was amazing, which made it feel even better! Ha ha.

Even to receive one message (or series of messages from a single fan) like that can make it all worth-while. At least in my opinion. =P

This is actually the exact kind of attitude I wished players had more often. : )

I know how you feel about those messages, although they're no longer enough for me, I used to get pleasant PMs and e-mails semi-regularly from fans, from '01 onwards. I still get them sporadically, and they're still a treat to read, although more often these days I generally respond with something along the lines of 'Thanks, but if you like the game so much, why not post a review?'

It's awkward having 'secret fans' that I can't in any way substantiate. 'Lots of people didn't have a problem with the battle balance.' 'Oh yeah? Who?'

lol "game designers" the only thing that makes us different from the people playing these games is that we have a point and click program that can make games. that's it... Your point is going into that 12 year old "oh you thought that movie was shit well why don't YOU make a good movie then huh?" mindset

Like it or not, I think we *do* legitimately have a more analytic and critical mindset than the average RPG fan/player due to our years of experience with making games, point and click engine or not.
Max McGee
This topic has moved into a really really interesting vein of discussion which I want to mine to the fullest.

Sometimes I post stuff in the spirit of "Hey guys look at this cool thing I made" not "Tell me what's wrong with this." If I have a question about something I'll ask, "Do you think I should do it this way or that way?"

The issue at hand is CONTENT PRODUCER INTENT (which I won't call 'Creator Intent' because I don't want to confuse it with the maker's authorial vision). Basically, if someone releases a piece of content to the internet, what response to they want?

Do they want all the criticism they can get to improve their project as much as possible? Or is the product no longer in the development phase, and they'd prefer if you can't say anything nice, to say nothing at all? Do they want criticism on some aspect of a game instead of others? Do they want feedback on dialogue, but not mapping? Do they want their feedback in the form of LTs instead of reviews, or vice versa? Do they want private feedback, but not public critique?

Is it legitimate for them to express these preferences? Is it courteous to align your feedback with these preferences? Do content producers even get a vote, at all, on the type of feedback they receive?

This is really, really, really fascinating, central shit here.

Here is an incredibly common response I get when I have a less-than-positive or less-than-receptive response to some criticism

"I don't understand, if I was getting this kind of criticism, I would love it, because UNLIKE YOU I WANT TO IMPROVE MY GAME/MY GAME-MAKING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Don't you want to improve? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? I DON'T GET IT."

I'm paraphrasing, but I've seen this response a LOT. Creation's post here is a version of it, after all:

author=Creation
The thought of not wanting feedback never crossed my mind. I’m always looking for the flaws in what I do in order to make fix them and make my creations better. I assumed, apparently mistakenly, that everyone felt the same way.

There’s a reason why big companies pay third parties to hire people to play games and find out what’s wrong with them. Same goes with private screenings before movies to get some feedback before releasing a movie, surveys and so on…

If people are paying to actively get feedback, I don’t see why anyone would reject it, feels like a waste.

Surely enough, not all feedback is necessarily relevant, but for those comments that make you change something in order to get something more polished, I mean, what is there to lose?

I believe that most of the feedback I ever got was harvested into making things of better quality in the long run.

I was actually about to comment your latest blog, space_monkey with some suggestions but if I understand correctly it's not what you're looking for. It's fine by the way, I'm just glad you're letting us now what your expectations are (unless I missed the point which is possible as I didn't read everything).

That’s just my opinion.

I have a lot to say about this. First off, you can't characterize content producer goals as a simple boolean variable/switch like: WANTS FEEDBACK/DOES NOT WANT FEEDBACK. It's a more complex array of possibilities than that. If someone does not want to hear any more about the fricking crystal they sprited for instance, that does not mean they don't want feedback.

Personally, speaking of my own experience, I have been doing this for an incredibly long time. Like, so long it's actually kind of weird, scary, and gross. For the first SEVERAL YEARS of my time in "the hobby", naturally I viewed myself as a RANK AMATEUR and was eager to receive as much feedback as I possibly could. Initially, I was probably quite immature and thought my early games were great because I didn't know any better--once I played some good games and realized why I sucked, I wanted to do everything I could to learn more.

But now...I am an old man. There are some things that I'm just not going to get any better at. My mapping skills, I think, have reached their peak. I don't think they're half bad. They're not great, but if you were to really look at my early games compared to my more recent ones, I would hope I'd at least win "most improved".

Other things, I still want to improve at, still want any and all feedback. But there are other areas where I feel like I'm at or near the top of my game, as talented as anyone. I will accept feedback...but only if that feedback is accompanied by some kind of acknowledgment of what I'm doing well. Why? Not because of vanity, but because if the critic cannot find something he likes *at this point in my life* then he is very likely one of the people who is never going to appreciate my games no matter how good they are.

I am an old man of chapsets, and I do not know why this community expects that my attitude must always and firmly be that of the young grasshopper, the humble apprentice, or else I am being "egotistical" or "masturbatory".

There is a certain point after ten years of game making where "getting better at game making" ceases to be the PRIMARY OBJECTIVES, and where the PRIMARY OBJECTIVE instead becomes "using the skills you've learned over the years to make games". OF COURSE I CAN STILL IMPROVE, OF COURSE I STILL WANT TO IMPROVE, BUT IMPROVING IS NO LONGER MY PRIMARY CONCERN; CREATING AND PROMOTING IS.

(Not to belabor the point, but I am definitely *NOT* saying that I don't want feedback or saying that feedback is wasted on me. OF COURSE I still want people to play my games and tell me what they think, because otherwise what is the fucking point? Creator motivation is a separate, important issue and I don't fall into the 'I make games purely for myself' camp.)

And even more important than the stance of a particular user with regards to feedback is the status of a particular game.

If the *COMPLETED* flag is to have meaning, then Completed games should simply not be treated the same way as games that are in development. If a user has flagged a game as COMPLETE, then it is inappropriate to respond with feedback like nitpicking the mapping or the battle system. A more appropriate response would be *synthesizing what you liked about the game* and *synthesizing in general terms what the author could improve with their next project, and how they could go about doing so*.

And by the way...there is nothing more counterproductive than hurling vitriolic, rude, or purely negative feedback on a completed game. No matter how *bad* you think it is, respect the fact that it is complete.

When you dump on completed games, you discourage game completion.
author=Max McGee
Protip: Don't judge a RM game's playerbase by the dudes who regularly post in the forums. The playerbase of an average RM game is much, much, much bigger. Hero's Realm has what, over 10,000 downloads now?
Feld, not really central to any of my points, but since when is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL GAME EVER "an average game"? HR is many things, but not average.

Well, how many active posters DO we have? 50? 100?

Even the most average of games (like, say, Village Brave and the Escape from Dread Mountain) has well more than that. (396 downloads at the moment)

...in fact, I am going to do a query right now for the number of people who have had, say, 3+ posts since the beginning of the year.
Max McGee
I wish we even had accurate figures on how many of those 396 downloaders actually PLAYED the game at all.
Nevermind. We have 717 members with 3 or more posts since January 1st, 2011 (453 with 10 or more, 205 with 50 or more, 126 with 100 or more, and 5 with 1000 or more)
I download (and buy) games that I never open/play.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Even if they don't want criticism, I will still give it. I don't really mind if it pisses them off and makes them angry at me. If the cost of conveying knowledge to people is that they hate me, I'll do it without hesitation. I become less popular, but they still learn something from it, which is the more important thing by far. Even if the post makes them so angry that they lash out against it, they still hear it, and some part of the point I was making sticks in their mind. In fact, even if they disagree with me, even if I'm wrong, it still makes them think critically through the justification for why they made the choices they did, so knowledge is still being spread.

Given a choice between an action that causes someone to think I'm a decent person and one that teaches them something, I will choose the latter every time. That's just the kind of person I am. I value other people's knowledge infinitely more than my own popularity.
I think you need to like chill and smoke weed or something lol...
Yeah, you need to rethink that one. If I were just performing on the street and you came up and tried to "teach" me something (read: act like an bigshot) I'd probably be inclined to not listen to you.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, you'd be stupider as a result of not listening, so I don't know why not. I can only conclude that you don't care about how well you do your craft, in which case you have no business doing it.

Or you care about something else more. Like your reputation as a performer. Which is... well, I don't approve of that, but I guess it's kinda understandable. From a purely practical standpoint, I guess sometimes it matters more how well other people think you do your craft than how well you actually do it. That just feels dirty to me though.
chana
@Lennon :
author=Darken
I think you need to like chill and smoke weed or something lol...
I don't think so......... I think LockeZ has reached a point (age?), where there are things that matter and things that don't! And that's interesting .
The way you put it makes it seem as though you really don't care about the person as an individual, you're just trying to act like some sort of sage, walking around telling people what they're doing wrong, while providing no real example of why they should listen to you.

Sure, I'd take your words concerning RM into account, since you obviously have a background with that. But with anything else, I don't even know. I don't know a single person who would listen to someone who just came up and did that.
LockeZ
Well, if the person thinks I'm wrong, they're definitely free to tell me why! And then I will be the one who learns something. And that's cool too.
I should be more specific. My problem is that you seem to be taking it to some kind of unbelievable extreme, where if I don't listen to this guy randomly telling me something, then I don't care about my talent. That's insane.

I guess some people might learn from what you said, but I know I wouldn't, and I can't imagine anybody who would. I've never even seen this happen in real life.

That's just me though.