RM2K(3) GAMES DON'T WORK ON WINDOWS 7

Pages: first 12 next last
Just got a new system which uses Windows 7 (64-bit), I tried running RM2k(3) games and got the error:

This seems to have something to do with DirectX. I have DirectX and running dxdiag detected no problems. I tried compatibility and stuff but obviously still got the same error. Any help regarding this is much appreciated.
Thanks.
I used to have this issue, but I have completely forgotten how I fixed it. It may've been a video card driver update/setting, or maybe I installed an old version of DirectX.

I think I may've had the issue -before- upgrading to Win7, if I am remembering correctly, so I am thinking video card setting. I think it had something to do with a hardware acceleration setting... I wish I had it in front of me to check my Catalyst Control Panel.
Installing an older version might probably do it, since the one I have is in-built and probably works well only with programs compatible with Win7. Thanks, I'll try that.
author=LivingEffigy
Installing an older version might probably do it, since the one I have is in-built and probably works well only with programs compatible with Win7. Thanks, I'll try that.

I do know that I am running a current version at home though, without issue. I am probably mixing two DirectX issues from two different circumstances, because I know I had to roll back to install DirectMusic at one point since new versions don't include it. I forget what that was for, but I am doubting RM2K3. I think it is a video card thing.
Crap... I have no idea how to deal with this then. All I know is updating and rolling back the driver, the latter not being possible because this thing is new.
My new comp just loves to double post.
One thing I do remember is that playing games in windowed mode still worked, and only switching to fullscreen gave me the error until I fixed it.
How do I play in Windowed mode? The game starts in fullscreen by default. I tried playing with both integrated graphics and my nvidia one and it works on neither. DirectX also has a component called DirectDraw, which probably is incompatible with the game. Since installing an older DirectX seems to be the easiest option I'll try that first and see.

EDIT: Nope T_T
Put the content of this archive in your game: http://cherrytree.at/downloads/afm.rar
...together with this file: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2987/afm_game_starter.exe

And then start afm_game_starter.exe and tell me if it works. If it does, you can use F6 to toggle fullscreen (DO NOT use F4 or F5 or Alt+Enter!) and F8 to change the filter (none -> Scale2x -> hq2x)
It works! But here's what happens:
1. Buttons don't work. Left and right clicks are equivalent to pressing the up arrow button.
2. Using scale2x in windowed mode then switching to fullscreen gives the same error.

Did you press F4 or Alt+Enter for fullscreen? I told you: F6 only :-)
About the buttons: This is a different problem... do you have a gamepad connected? Disconnect it. If it still doesn't work (or if you had no gamepad connected at all), run this tool once: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2704/kbdreset.exe

By the way, if you want to you a filter every time, create a file called "afm_game_starter.cfg" and put a 1 (for Scale2x) or a 2 (for hq2x) in it.
Did you press F4 or Alt+Enter for fullscreen? I told you: F6 only :-)
F6 only. I changed to window mode, pressed F8 once, then F6 once. DirectDraw Error.

Awesome! The keyboard's working! Thanks a bunch! Another question, is there anything I can do which will also allow me to test play games I may make in RM2k3 also?
About F6: Hm, I don't know then... just stay in fullscreen mode and press F8 there, without changing to windowed mode first.

About testplay: try enabling windowed mode in RPG Maker. Note: F6, F8, etc. won't work there, of course, unless you start anotherfullscreenmode.exe while the test play is running.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I am thankfully not having this problem.

Just a minor screen flickering issue.
The solution I posted would solve this problem too.
author=Cherry
Put the content of this archive in your game: http://cherrytree.at/downloads/afm.rar
...together with this file: http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-2987/afm_game_starter.exe

And then start afm_game_starter.exe and tell me if it works. If it does, you can use F6 to toggle fullscreen (DO NOT use F4 or F5 or Alt+Enter!) and F8 to change the filter (none -> Scale2x -> hq2x)

Hey, this is really neat, Cherry. Is there a way to maintain aspect ratio though, so it doesn't stretch on a widescreen? That has always been a peeve of mine... makes my pixels look funny and is the reason I always play in windowed mode.
Not yet... I might consider adding this feature though.
RM 2000 & 2003 games run on my Win7 x64 comp as well.
Even RM95 games work! (once they're switched to windowed mode)

Maybe it's due to our screen resolutions?

I'm not sure what mine is though. That's because my graphics card config says it's at HDTV 720p mode, while my monitor's menu claims it's at 1600x900, and my Win7's control panel reports it as 1280x720.

LOL.
Pages: first 12 next last