GREATEST GAMES YOU'VE PLAYED

Pages: first 123 next last
I love video games, always have and always will. But certain games stick out among the rest, maybe because of originality, top notch game play, or maybe even tear causing graphical beauty. So I want to know...

What are the greatest games you've ever played? Why?

If so compelled to post video, images and such in your answer. (Note: This is of any genre)

T start, I'd say one of the greatest games I've ever played is Powerstone 2 for the DC. A great fighting game of skill and fun, I loved going 1 on 3 against computers and guest players alike. The 121 craftable items is nothing to sneeze at either, as you can create a myriad of items from Dragons to Lightsabers.

A look at some pretty good players playing a match

2nd I'd say would be FFXII, I loved the whole world and the mysticism behind it, the story was decent, but the battle system was perhaps the best one in the whole FF series. The ADB system was very intuitive and allowed for great customization.

3rd would probably be Sonic Adventure 2, as it is in my opinion the epitome of Sonic Games so far. Great replay value, getting A ranks was very fun, and I was a master at that game when it was done. Oh, and my chao was just kick ass.

Oh, best sonic stage ever...

Just to name a few
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon
Tales of Phantasia
Gothic 1 and 2
FFVIII

woops, those are all RPGs... I love the Syphon Filter series (minus the Omega Strain, blah)
To me, the title of "greatest game" does not refer to the quality of the gameplay, story, graphics or soundtrack. It rather refers to its ability of challenging and moving me, and making a strong overall impression. Of course, when paired with the former elements the result provides an extremely satisfying experience...

With that in mind the greatest games I've played are:
-Super Metroid (no.1 game of all times) ^^
-Valkyrie Profile
-Chaos Legion
-Shadow Hearts 1 and Covenant
-Castlevania SotN & Dracula's Curse
-Odin Sphere
-Vampire Savior
-Ys Oath in Felghana & Wanderers from Ys
-Dragon Warrior 3 (American NES version)
-Bionic Commando (Gameboy version)

The other, popular, greatest hits games such as FF7 rank just below that.
I haven't played much games on the newer systems (DS, PS3 and the likes) so that's why my list is a bit old.

two games i still really like
author=Avee
To me, the title of "greatest game" does not refer to the quality of the gameplay, story, graphics or soundtrack. It rather refers to its ability of challenging and moving me, and making a strong overall impression. Of course, when paired with the former elements the result provides an extremely satisfying experience...

That's why I'm asking this question, I really hate when someone says I shouldn't play a game just because THEY don't like it. Great games are in a way relative to target audience. Reception also plays an important part, but the greatest games haven't always changed the way games were made, but made us as players respect and love whats already out.

author=Darken
Lmao, Never played this game before, maybe I should!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
So many ways to answer this. Experience, or addiction?
Greatest Experiences: Shadow of Colossus, L.A. Noire, Shenmue, Omikron: Nomad Soul.
Greatest gameplay/replay value/overly enjoyed: MGS3, JetGrindRadio, RedDeadRedemption, LittleBigPlanet 1 (2 kinda sucked even though it was a better game), Chocobo Racing, Powerstone, Sonic Adventure, Worms Armageddon, and any of those awful Tony Hawk games on psx

Oh yeah, and I played the shit out of Spyro 1-3, those were hella good
author=Dudesoft
So many ways to answer this. Experience, or addiction?
Greatest Experiences: Shadow of Colossus, L.A. Noire, Shenmue
Greatest gameplay/replay value/overly enjoyed: MGS3, JetGrindRadio, RedDeadRedemption, LittleBigPlanet 1 (2 kinda sucked even though it was a better game), Chocobo Racing, Powerstone, Sonic Adventure, Worms Armageddon, and any of those awful Tony Hawk games on psx

Oh yeah, and I played the shit out of Spyro 1-3, those were hella good

Loved Jetgrindradio, soundtrack was sweet too, and how could I forget Shenme???
Final Fantasy IX and X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metro 2033, Batman Arkham Asylum, Sonic Adventure Battle 2, Legend of Dragoon, Mafia 2, Vampire: The masquerade bloodlines. I can't think of any others on the spot.
Dudesoft
I totally forgot Omikron: Nomad Soul... How could I ever forget?
(skip to @4.14)
Doom
Doom 2
Oblivion
Morrowind
Half Life 1 (just played it for the first time)
Team Fortress 2
Mario Bros 3
Mario World
Zelda 3
Zelda 2
Zelda 1
Zelda Minish Cap
Zelda Link's Awakening
Sonic 3
Sonic Advance 1
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Minecraft (not really a game)
AJPW VPW2
WWF No Mercy
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid 3
Bionic Commando
Plants vs Zombies (gets old after 10 hours)
SMBX
Simon's Quest
Castlevania 3
Super Castlevania 4
Dragon Quest 3
Final Fantasy 1
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Seiken Densetsu 3
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
FF Tactics A2
Sonic 2
Eternal Daughter (freeware game by Derek Yu)
Kingdom Hearts (the first one)
Mega Man 8
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

'nuff said.
Contra: Alien Wars
Megaman 2 (because its easies)
Duck Tails!!!!
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Sim City 3
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1
Sims 2
Dudesoft
ShortStar... Every zelda is the same game with a new toy in it. How can you list them all as the Greatest Games Ever?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Xenosaga III
Chrono Cross
Tsukihime
Fate/stay Night
Ever 17
Persona 3
Persona 4
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII

EDIT: Forgot Dragon Age: Origins!
Dudesoft
author=Dudesoft
I totally forgot Omikron: Nomad Soul... How could I ever forget?

(skip to @4.14)

I forgot about Omikron too, damn Im messin up!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I'm not going to mention the games I think deserve to be named "Graet3st GAME EvAr!!!" I'm basically going to mention the games that gave me personally the best gaming experience or just have been plain fun to play.

Final Fantasy VII - This game I know what you're thinking, but when I played this back in 97 when it first came out, it was the first time I actually had tried out an rpg. This very game is the reason I went onto play more rpgs, I mean the exploration & locations, graphics, music, secrets, chocobos were all just so enticing for me. The shear feeling I had playing this game the first time around was.. It was amazing.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - I had never actually played the first Sonic game when the second had come out, but when my older brother came home with it in his hand and started playing(Hogging)the game. I was blown away, great platforming, SPEED!, unique stages, and that little victory music at the end of each stage was so cool to listen to.

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy
- I had always been a fan of Naughty Dog because the whole Crash Bandicoot trilogy on the PSOne, so when I first got my PlayStation 2 I bought this game with it. Right away I thought this could actually be the funnest platformer and best adventure game for the PlayStation 2 and the whole last generation. Even to this day this is my opinion, The first game was just so charming, the silent protagonist, witty writing for Daxter and the old sage Samus, beautiful level design, simple story.

Honorable Mentions:
Final Fantasy VI, IX, XII
Halo Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2
Tekken 3
Assassin's Creed 2
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Grand Theft Auto III, San Andreas, IV
Pokemon Red & Blue, Gold
Fight Night 2004
Rugby 06
Star Ocean 2 The Second Story
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect Series

Super Mario Bros 3
"Will always be one of my favourite platformers of all time... No, it IS my favourite platformer of all time. Even after all this time, I can still find reasons and fun to play this game now, even as an adult. Best Mario game, ever."

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To A Past
"Even though when I was a kid I played the first two Zelda games on the NES, this was the game that made me a major fan. To me, this was Zelda at its best. What other Zelda game can you name that has more dungeons, more challenge, and played a important part in offering most of the major weapons like the "Hookshot" in the franchise: this game, that's what."

Star Ocean 2: The Second Story
"My favourite RPG of all-time! I remember seeing this at the Playstation Tent back in '99 and was glued to this game for almost a full hour before we left the tent. I then wanted it for Christmas and never looked back. This RPG blew me away with the incredible cast of characters, story, soundtrack, and my first venture into 'Real Time Battles.' This game still pwns after all these years."

Goldeneye 64
"I was never a big fan of shooters when I was growing up back in the day, but this game sure made me a believer. Goldeneye is still a game, and the only game, I can beat my brother on multiple occasions -- and he plays FPS games like a saint! I love this game. Everything about it was awesome back then and still is awesome today."

Mega Man 2
"...Is there anything left to say that hasn't already been said? I LOVE this game, but MMX is still the greatest in the entire series." :D

I guess some other noteables would be:

* Final Fantasy IV
* Earthbound
* Sonic 2
* Duke Nukem 64
* Donkey Kong Country 2

...So many memories.
Diablo 2, thousands of hours into this game, I still sometimes play it, even after 11 years, and I only ever played single-player, Battle.net can kiss my ass. Talk about lasting value.

Flower, can be finished in under 2 hours, but is still one of the most beautiful games for me, evoking many emotions during gameplay. In the first levels you are relaxed, then comes fear, then comes anxiety to clean the city... The soundtrack was just perfect, no other game makes me so relaxed and happy while playing. Sometimes I just select the game on my PS3 and let the music play.

Guild Wars. A MMO game that isn't really a MMO, and lets me play through almost all the content alone if I wish to? Yes please. Decent story, and just lovely gameplay, you can only take 8 skills with you when leaving outposts, making the game quite tactical. There weren't high damage numbers and tons of loot, skill was much more important than in other MMOs. And with 3 main stories, and 1 datadisc, multiple professions, titles, missions quests...there was enough content to last thousands of hours. And soundtrack by Jeremy Soule. Nuff said.

Titan Quest. After searching for a Diablo-clone for some time, I finally found one worthy of my time. Tons and tons of loot, many ways to build your characters, great soundtrack, and the setting in ancient mythology just clicked with me.

Folklore. Strange one, I liked the setting, the gameplay was great and unique in a way, but what really took my breath was the story, mainly the way all the things turn out in the end. I was somewhat lost in the story, then in the end when you learned the final facts, all the threads connected, and it finally made sense. Left me quite surprised, with a smile on my face. Too bad this game didn't receive much attention.

I could probably go on, but to keep things short, I will just post a list of some notable games that I consider the "greatest".

Max Payne 2
Flatout 2
Infamous 2
God of War 1-3
Devil May Cry 4
Mirror's Edge
Painkiller

Pages: first 123 next last