TACTICS RPGS!

Pages: first prev 12 last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Man I thought I was the only one who liked Phantom Brave
Archers are extremely powerful, pretty much overpowered in Tactics Ogre. It doesn't take much figuring to realize that many 'Take out this dude' missions can boil down to Canopus (more or less the best character in the game) flying up to whatever ledge and popping his head off with a bowgun.

author=Orias_Obderhode
author=Feldschlacht IV
The PSP Tactics Ogre is the shit, homie.
The playstation version is even better! Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is by far the best tactics game I have ever played! Awesome story, multiple routes, and a fun class system!

The PSP version is far superior. Warren Report, World Tarot, Chariot Tarot, smoother interface, translation, updated graphics and music, etc etc.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
The entire fire emblem series is the best. One day im going to try Tactics Ogre though. that looks pretty good.
I don't know much about SRPG's but I like them a lot, mostly for aesthetic reasons; and I've played a couple of them too. Among these the best one (as in more complex) is definitively FF:Tactics, a game that has a great story too. (But I don't have to tell that to anyone. =P).

On the PS1 I also played 'Hoshigami: Ruining Blue earth' and 'Saiyuki: Journey west' The former was quite a challenge but I never got too much into the story. The latter was very 'basic' and easy but I enjoyed it more, maybe because of its 'Indo-chinesse' themes. On Ps2 I never dared to play any of the Nipon-Ichi games, I hear they are fun but something about them always put me off - Instead I played Stella Deus, a game that charmed me because of its graphics; it is pretty artsy in general at least for an SRPG, but as far as the difficulty or story went it was pretty 'meh' ...More recently I tried 'Ygdra Union' on the GBA but as much as I wanted to like it because of its ingenious game layout, it had very awkward battle mechanics and the story was null as far as I could stand it.

Surprisingly, I've never tried any of the 'Tactics Ogre' nor 'Fire Emblem' games, some of the more acclaimed SRPG series out there. But I hope to fix this mistake one of these days. xP
My favorite tactics RPG is Phantom Brave.
Oh, by the way--are there any Knights in the Nightmare fans out there?

I have yet to play through the whole thing, but what I did play struck me as a pretty ingenious fusion of genres (although certain elements made using a strategy guide almost necessary.) Probably Sting's craziest game, although Riviera probably had the most charm.

author=kentona
FFTA was the first tactics game I ever tried and man...lame. Why would I want to play as some namby-pamby little snots who trot off to Narnia? I stopped playing this game almost immediately.

Actually FFTA is more like playing as a namby-pamby little snot
who takes it on himself to destroy Ivalice and return to reality, even though all of his friends and family are superficially much better off in Ivalice and hate him every step of the way. It's not too different from Ramza taking on the church in that sense!
Tactics is still a lot more mature and complex than Advance though so I guess Advance is ultimately inferior.

It did introduce me to tactics rpgs, though so there is that!
Disgaea 3 and 4! After playing those games (still making my way through 4), I rarely find another tactical RPG that holds my interest, those games have so many features, and so much depth (even though it's basically a grind-fest, but a fun one). The humor, the settings, the characters, the skill animations... right in my alley.
I loved Front Mission on the SNES man that game was freaking awesome. Wish I owned the original cart.
Vantage Master. No random die rolls. Period.

Shining Force does get my vote for not being overly convoluted and insular.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I just finished Fire Emblem 4.

It was...dark.
FE4 has hilarious odds. It is like the Dynasty Warriors of Fire Emblem to me, where your heroes are absurdly powerful but the enemy has four times as many units than they do in other FE games.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The biggest issue I had was I reloaded any time someone died. They only had to kill one of my guys, ever, to win!
Since I'm a master strategist, I can't very well let this die! All of the forementioned games are great, and heres an obscure one you all may not of played (getting a translation = huge pain). Who here has played any of the langrisser series? While to some it may feel like a slower troop based fire emblem, I for one liked the system, even if it needed a little improving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_1CmZU3Ac (this is a video of langrisser 2)
While Tactics Ogre PSP is monumentally good, my favorite tactics games will always be Fire Emblem. The suspense of each decision is just addictive and overall it's gameplay formula is thoroughly and consistently solid.

Anyone played Vandal Hearts? I've never played it but have always been curiosity.

@yamata no orochi

If you read GamesRadar, I wrote their review of Knights in the Nightmare for DS. It's a good game and I loved how they actually managed to combine such disparate gaming styles in a way that actually worked. I wasn't the biggest fan of the story though. I like things less disjointed.
I am the master of tactics games, so naturally I've played both vandal hearts. They both have a great story and fun gameplay, but the 2nd one (I believe it was the 2nd), had a very odd system where both you and the npc move at the same time...and once you learned how it worked, it became too easy to exploit. I'd say play them both if you havn't.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?

*shot*

Also I just finished playing through Bahamut Lagoon for the 4th/5th time. I just can't get enough.
Pages: first prev 12 last