NANOWRIMO

Pages: first prev 12 last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Max McGee
As someone who's actually finished several novels on their own schedule (and as someone who sadly hasn't done any serious writing since 2009 due to laziness, distraction, illness, and life) I have never really "gotten" the point of Nanowhatever.

I have always been of the attitude that if you want to write a novel, you don't need a special occasion to do it, and if you don't really want to write a novel, no special occasion is ever going to help. I'm really not a fan of the entire idea, I don't think it generates a lot of GOOD prose, generally speaking. I don't think, as a very very broad and obviously not all-inclusive generalization, that the novelists who need something like NaNoWriMo to motivate them are the ones in any danger of producing good writing.

Obviously LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people disagree with me. I'm in the minority on this and I acknowledge that.

As a published author, I see the merit of NaNoWriMo. It inspires people to write, which is just great, in my opinion. Whether they're writing amazing stories or they're just tossing their salad on paper, it is still literature. Quality over Quantity, yes. However, the point is the enjoyment of pumping out a book. Max, as you are probably aware, the extreme gratification one gets from completing a story is sometimes better than sex. November is like a writer orgy, now.

Also, most importantly, NaNoWriMo sets the Deadline. Deadlines are extremely motivating, stressful, disgusting, and wonderful. Too many writers spend so much time rewriting, proof-reading, revising and basically jerking themselves off... Only to never finish the book. I see it with all my writer friends --- except one. He used to be like that. Now he spins out short stories like Stephen King burps out novels. Are they good? Not especially. Will he go pro? Probably not. The point is NaNoWriMo changed him.
If he continues as an indie writer, all the power to him, and the other NaNoWriMo writers.
We are part of the Indie Game community! We ought to embrace the fact pretty much every medium has the indie crowd, and cheer them on.

NaNoWriMo is to writing, what RPG Maker game contests are to gaming.
I've been participating every year since 2003. The only time I finished though was in 2003 and considering my schedule for early November it looks like I'll be unable to finish this year as well.

However. I'll still sign up and I'll still write at least a couple of pages. Though so far I have no idea what about so it might just be a horrible idea.

But I also know that I SHOULD be able to take an hour or so every day to write even in my busy November schedule so it SHOULD be possible. However... The internet is full of distractions... So much that last year I tried to write on a different computer that was offline.

That didn't work out either :) I blame all the theatre I do. Damn shows and rehearsals all the time occupying the creative part of the brain.

But yeah! Go Nanowrimo!
I'd never even heard of this thing until now :|

Most of you guys have been doing this for years?
I think I'm gonna do it this year. I first heard about it forever ago and I've been meaning to do it, but I always put it off. Anyway, I whine about how my writing sucks and I need to get better, so I figure that this will be awesome practice!

I mean, the only way to get better at writing is to actually write, right? :3
Scourge
I used to make games. I still do, but I used to too.
author=emmych
I think I'm gonna do it this year. I first heard about it forever ago and I've been meaning to do it, but I always put it off. Anyway, I whine about how my writing sucks and I need to get better, so I figure that this will be awesome practice!

Darn right! Don't be afraid to ask for someone to critique your work either. That's super important if you plan on getting better. Just don't feel like you have to follow every single suggestion they give you.
I'm no expert at writing although I do it everyday, but I know that I have a much easier time completing a work when it's about a theme I have lots of knowledge and experience on. For instance, I wrote and completed lots of horror and dark/fantasy short stories and game scenarios, but I get stuck when writing, say, history-inspired stories or parody games.
So I suppose everyone should stick with themes that are easy for them to write on to get some experience first, and then try something different.

Another good advice someone once told me is to go easy on the self-criticism if you want to finish a work. 'tis best to complete an average story than never complete a great one.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I ask for critique a lot, but it's harder to find people willing to critique a 100+ page story than a picture that takes five seconds to analyse, y'know?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Dudesoft
author=Max McGee
As someone who's actually finished several novels on their own schedule (and as someone who sadly hasn't done any serious writing since 2009 due to laziness, distraction, illness, and life) I have never really "gotten" the point of Nanowhatever.

I have always been of the attitude that if you want to write a novel, you don't need a special occasion to do it, and if you don't really want to write a novel, no special occasion is ever going to help. I'm really not a fan of the entire idea, I don't think it generates a lot of GOOD prose, generally speaking. I don't think, as a very very broad and obviously not all-inclusive generalization, that the novelists who need something like NaNoWriMo to motivate them are the ones in any danger of producing good writing.

Obviously LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people disagree with me. I'm in the minority on this and I acknowledge that.
As a published author, I see the merit of NaNoWriMo. It inspires people to write, which is just great, in my opinion. Whether they're writing amazing stories or they're just tossing their salad on paper, it is still literature. Quality over Quantity, yes. However, the point is the enjoyment of pumping out a book. Max, as you are probably aware, the extreme gratification one gets from completing a story is sometimes better than sex. November is like a writer orgy, now.

Also, most importantly, NaNoWriMo sets the Deadline. Deadlines are extremely motivating, stressful, disgusting, and wonderful. Too many writers spend so much time rewriting, proof-reading, revising and basically jerking themselves off... Only to never finish the book. I see it with all my writer friends --- except one. He used to be like that. Now he spins out short stories like Stephen King burps out novels. Are they good? Not especially. Will he go pro? Probably not. The point is NaNoWriMo changed him.
If he continues as an indie writer, all the power to him, and the other NaNoWriMo writers.
We are part of the Indie Game community! We ought to embrace the fact pretty much every medium has the indie crowd, and cheer them on.

NaNoWriMo is to writing, what RPG Maker game contests are to gaming.

I don't actually have a problem with the content of your post (at least not enough of a problem to muster a proper counterargument, which would take time and (gah!) effort), except to say that I feel more tempted than ever to start prefacing every single one of my posts with "As a published author".

Well being a voracious omnivorous reader helps a lot, but yes, actually writing frequently and regularly is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

Nanowrimo isn't the best, only, or optimal way to do that, because it motivates people specifically to...write one month a year. Which is not how any real author operates.

Right now, I don't consider myself a real writer (OF PROSE) nor have I since 2009--not based on any financial or publication concern. Simply because I haven't regularly put words to paper since 2009. Putting words on paper--THAT'S what counts. Without your 2000 words a day, you've got nothing.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The comparison that Nanowrimo is to writing as RPG Maker is to game development is amazingly valid.
Scourge
I used to make games. I still do, but I used to too.
So how's everybody doing with it? I'm hovering around 9,000 words. Solid, but I've got some catching up to do.
I'm 38k in at the moment. I'm writing for the visual novel I'm currently developing, so if I don't keep up a decent rate, I won't be able to hit all the endings. It's really frustrating knowing that this project will end up with >200k words, but the average player will only see ~80k in a single run.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I'm at about 5000. I've been busy with procrastinating and exams.

edit: it will not take me long to catch up, however!
Ronove
More like Misao Stealing Prince
You guys can do it! :D You're all doing pretty well--I bet some people have already dropped out by now.

yeah man this totally.

nano's great for the people who do it because it's a community thing. but it's not really a good writer thing. the big "tips" for nano writers embrace needless dialogue and going off on tangents. good writing is about cutting that extra stuff. the wordcount itself is the goal of nano, not creating a decent story.

nano:writing::rpgmaker:gamedev is a great fucken comparison.

nano is a good excuse to get people motivated to hit their daily word count, and to connect people with an online community of peers. other than that it isn't really that special.

i don't participate in this—i write for me. but the past couple days i've been hitting two thousand words a day. it has nothing to do with nano. it has more to do with getting off irc and turning up the classic rock.
Pages: first prev 12 last