TIME TO LEVEL UP MY HEALTH!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I really reccommend going freegan. It's what I've done lately. Goes like this: mostly the key is to avoid processed foods and meat. Cheese, milk, eggs are fine. If you stop eating meat and keep in your mind that eating frozen or out of boxes is gonna kill you, you start to branch out with healthier foods and discover delicious breads, fruits, cheeses etc. It is faily low-stress and easy to get used to, but you have to go shopping more often, every three or so days for more fresh produce.

Best health advice I can give or have heard is to stop with the soft drinks and drink more water. Pop/soda are all pretty much poison, and give your body little to no nutrition. Most juices, as well. They are all over-concentrated and you need to water them down. More than 1 or 2 cups a coffee a day is also counterproductive. If you want something sweet, drink a glass of whole milk or eat an apple because they are sweet and delicious and good for you.

I find that quite a few people are pretentious about food. They look at you wierd if you bite right into a tomato, or a cucumber, or bell pepper. Get over that and it gets easier to eat well out and about.
An added FYI, raw foods (fruits/veggies, not meat) are usually much better for nutrional value. Heat (ie. cooking) breaks down a lot of the prime nutrients.
They just get bland and boring in very short order.

Also Mitsu, don't forget to reply.
How do you guys deal with the fact that exercise is ridiculously boring?
I can't be the only one...
author=kentona
How do you guys deal with the fact that exercise is ridiculously boring?

Well, not RIDICULOUSLY, but yeah, it can definitely get there. I try out new exercises to keep it somewhat fresh. Also listening to music helps kill the boredom immensely.
If your finding exercise boring it's because your not focused enough. You need to be focused because you got things to keep track of in your head, like how many reps, sets, keeping proper form, focusing on pushing yourself on the last few reps.

That kind of stuff and listening to pump-up music helps with motivation it really gets you in the mood for working out.
Well, tbh I find it tedious and monotonous. If I could I would play a game every day, but it's hard to find other people to play with when you are a 30 something guy with responsibilities and jobs and kids and all your friends are 30 something guys with responsibilities and and jobs and kids.
I used to do my workout while I watched Star Trek: Enterprise.
I love working out. I think part of the reason why a lot of people don't like working out is because they forget one of the most important parts of exercise; getting better than you were before.

If you don't keep track of how many more miles you can run, how many seconds you're shaving off your time, how many reps you can push out, how many more pounds on your bench, you're not only doing it wrong because you don't know how well you're progressing (if at all), but one of the most satisfying parts of exercise is knowing that you're getting stronger/faster/more endurance/etc.
I'm of the perception that exercise is a means to an end, and not an end unto itself. Like, exercise/workout/practice so that I can score more goals, give more punishing body checks, deque more defencemen etc...

But now that I am not playing any sports competitively, I have little motivation to exercise...
I used to have that perception myself, and I have to say it has its place in certain areas, but I think it's damaging in others. Some good tunes and some focus is all you need to make working out fun! Especially seeing the results in the mirror; it's great hitting your goals, and you feel better too.

Also don't do too much cardio; that is pretty boring.
author=Feldschlacht IV
I love working out. I think part of the reason why a lot of people don't like working out is because they forget one of the most important parts of exercise; getting better than you were before.

If you don't keep track of how many more miles you can run, how many seconds you're shaving off your time, how many reps you can push out, how many more pounds on your bench, you're not only doing it wrong because you don't know how well you're progressing (if at all), but one of the most satisfying parts of exercise is knowing that you're getting stronger/faster/more endurance/etc.

That's one way of looking at it. I exercise to maintain my body, not improve it. I'm not doing it wrong, I'm just doing it my way. For a guy who usually preaches open mindedness and fairness it's funny to see you so adamant that there's only one way to work out :P That sounds like a LockeZ mindset.
author=Link
That's one way of looking at it. I exercise to maintain my body, not improve it. I'm not doing it wrong, I'm just doing it my way. For a guy who usually preaches open mindedness and fairness it's funny to see you so adamant that there's only one way to work out :P That sounds like a LockeZ mindset.

One way to work out? No, that's just a suggestion. If you mean my mantra of 'everyone should lift weights', yes, that falls outside of the spectrum of subjective thinking and more into the scientific/physiological reasoning that yes, everyone who isn't suffering from a chronic ailment has objectively much more to gain in terms of health from lifting weights if you don't lift weights. It's literally nothing but pluses for the human body. Prove me wrong. That's like saying it's opinion that it's a good idea to eat vegetables.

As far as the maintain/improve mindset, I think everyone should strive to improve in all things, especially as something as fundamental as your body. Improve your mind, improve your body, improve your life. 'Maintain' is just a synonym for 'stagnate', I think.

Everyone can do what the hell they want, I'm just speaking in confidence about a subject I know quite a bit about, unlike video games or movies or something.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Link_2112
it's funny to see you so adamant that there's only one way to work out :P That sounds like a LockeZ mindset.

I should probably be offended by that or something, but oddly, I'm not at all. I am well aware that I'm very much prone to hyperbole and IF YOU INCLUDE SAVE-ANYWHERE EVEN DURING ONE SCENE IN YOUR GAME THE ENTIRE RPG GENRE WILL BE RUINED FOREVER
I was referring to where you said

author=Feldschlacht IV
If you don't keep track of how many more miles you can run... you're doing it wrong...

Maybe it was just a poor choice of words, but it sounds like your saying that if your not doing it to keep improving, than your doing it wrong. I would think that for some people adding an aspect of keeping track would make it more boring and tedious. Kinda like homework.

If the concern is that it's boring, the solution isn't to take it so seriously.

author=Feldschlacht IV
'Maintain' is just a synonym for 'stagnate', I think.

I would suggest that not getting any exercise would be equal to your body being stagnate, because that is basically what happens to your insides. If your working out a steady amount without increasing it, your body is not stagnate. So I would have to disagree with that statement. If this discussion were about something else like skill (music, game making, etc..) then I could agree.

Improving your body can only improve your life so much, it will plateau at some point for the average Joe. At which point you keep working out at the same pace to maintain that ability. That way you can run if your late for the bus, you don't have trouble picking up your kids, you don't feel like crap when you wake up, you feel naturally energetic; enough to handle the stresses of life. Frankly, that's all most of us have time for. Anything beyond that and you get close to the realm of performance athletes.

Also, in relation to the OP, I doubt he wants to keep improving. I would assume he just wants to raise his health a bit and maintain it.

*Always improving your mind is a whole other topic and something I fully agree with*

If your in good enough shape to jog up 20 flights of stairs without becoming out of breath, there is no real benefit to being able to jog up 40 flights of stairs instead. It would only be a personal need to better yourself, and not everybody shares that need. It depends on the lifestyle of the individual, too. If someone is say, in the Navy, then of course constantly raising the bar is important.

I'm not arguing against anything else you said, it's all solid advice and you clearly know your stuff. I just want to offer another point of view.

author=LockeZ
I should probably be offended by that or something, but oddly, I'm not at all. I am well aware that I'm very much prone to hyperbole and IF YOU INCLUDE SAVE-ANYWHERE EVEN DURING ONE SCENE IN YOUR GAME THE ENTIRE RPG GENRE WILL BE RUINED FOREVER

Certainly didn't mean for it to be an insult!
I'll be moving into a house in March with a couple of friends, and we're buying a weight set. I can go back to lifting :) I vote we start another progress topic like we had a long time ago. Although, I won't be participating in it much until then.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
(Link_2112) "For a guy who usually preaches open mindedness and fairness it's funny to see you so adamant that there's only one way to work out :P That sounds like a LockeZ mindset."
You see LockeZ, it was a compliment! (for the fun).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hahaha, suuuuure, Link.

As far as how much is enough, it depends what your goal is in excercising. Are you doing it to be happier? Then stop before you get exhausted. To live longer? Then stop when it's in danger of taking over your life - if you spend all your time exercising or being exhausted from exercising, you're only shortening the amount of life you get to spend on other things. To look better? Taper off when you're happy with how you look. For its own sake? Keep going as far as your drive will take you.
Pages: first prev 123 next last