TIME TO LEVEL UP MY HEALTH!

Pages: first prev 123 last
author=Link
Maybe it was just a poor choice of words, but it sounds like your saying that if your not doing it to keep improving, than your doing it wrong. I would think that for some people adding an aspect of keeping track would make it more boring and tedious. Kinda like homework.

If the concern is that it's boring, the solution isn't to take it so seriously.

Miscommunication on my part, my bad. 'You're doing it wrong' is sort of an expression, meaning, 'hey, perhaps this is a better way to do it. I have to stand by my suggestion on that; keeping track of your progress is an excellent way not to be bored. Otherwise you're just a hamster running on a treadmill doing a repetitive task over and over again with no gain and no measurable progress, sort of like playing an RPG where you don't gain levels or new equipment or fight new enemies, or...anything.

Stepping up the challenge and keeping track of the results is a good suggestion for any activity, not just exercise.

author=Link
I would suggest that not getting any exercise would be equal to your body being stagnate, because that is basically what happens to your insides. If your working out a steady amount without increasing it, your body is not stagnate. So I would have to disagree with that statement. If this discussion were about something else like skill (music, game making, etc..) then I could agree.

What you describe is 'atrophy', not what I'd call stagnation. I understand that yeah I'm not saying lift/run until you're an Olympic athlete, but for the Average Joe? With the obesity rate being at like, 2/3, hospital bills for the average person skyrocketing, and most people complaining of ailments they have no business having, the Average Joe is in pretty shitty shape. I actually commend the OP for being honest with himself enough to say 'hey I suck I want to not suck'.

It is hardly my place to ENFORCE PROGRESS on people like some Men's Fitness eugenics program, but yeah honestly the average person has a lot to gain from challenging himself physically given that most people spend their days sitting on their ass. Yeah, people plateau, but a lot of people are so out of shape that they don't have to worry about that for a long time.

I am not a HEALTH NAZI believe it or not, but I don't think anyone should have to settle for mediocrity either, in mind or body. Everyone should do all they can to not just feel good, but feel great.

author=LockeZ
As far as how much is enough, it depends what your goal is in excercising. Are you doing it to be happier? Then stop before you get exhausted. To live longer? Then stop when it's in danger of taking over your life - if you spend all your time exercising or being exhausted from exercising, you're only shortening the amount of life you get to spend on other things. To look better? Taper off when you're happy with how you look. For its own sake? Keep going as far as your drive will take you.

Yeah, this is a pretty healthy way of looking at it.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Otherwise you're just a hamster running on a treadmill doing a repetitive task over and over again with no gain and no measurable progress, sort of like playing an RPG where you don't gain levels or new equipment or fight new enemies, or...anything.

I guess I can only speak to my own way of thinking. Which is that it's not a boring repetitive task. I'm very much into boxing and my workout is similar to that of a boxer, so it's fun(thank you Hajime no Ippo). I suppose that I also subconsciously keep track of my progress and I don't need a visual representation of it to feel that I'm benefiting from it.

I would say it's more like playing an RPG that doesn't tell you what level you are, but you feel like your doing ok. To your analogy, that's such a radical idea it might just make a good game! haha

But if a person doesn't have the same self motivation then perhaps keeping track would help. It's worth a shot. Wii games might be a good middle ground.

author=Feldschlacht IV
but for the Average Joe? With the obesity rate being at like, 2/3

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Never thought of that. Overweight people would need more of a drive just to reach the normal range, so they would need the mindset that goes along with it.

author=Feldschlacht IV
I am not a HEALTH NAZI believe it or not, but I don't think anyone should have to settle for mediocrity either, in mind or body. Everyone should do all they can to not just feel good, but feel great.

My main point is that what you call mediocrity, I would call being comfortable. Your way works for you(and others like you) and my way works for me(and others like me). I'm quite happy being comfortable so there is no need for me to push it. I can enjoy my life the way I am and, what LockeZ said, I can spend my time doing something that makes me happier than working out even more.

I think we've taken this exchange as far as it needs to go. There's no real disagreement, just people with different motivations/viewpoints.
Yeah, word!

*fist bumps*
JESUS CHRIST THIS TOPIC EXPLODED. I'm about to head to bed, so I don't have time to check everyone questions and suggestions right now. I'll respond tomorrow.

I will say that I haven't started anything yet because *gasp* I just got sick and was only able to get the money for the prescription this afternoon.

EDIT:
Whoops, more like 15 minutes. =P
author=chana
I would start with a complete check up, to know exactly where you're at.

I did. Apparently, I'm healthier than I realized: good blood pressure, pulse...all that junk. I'm underweight, but that was no surprise; I've been underweight my entire life (I'm 6 feet tall, 128 lbs >.>). I did get sick though, like I mentioned before. I'm going to wait til I'm over this to start doing in major exercising. I've already started to change eating habits, though: I actually ate breakfast for once--I had some yogurt, fruit, orange juice, plain white milk (which I hardly ever drink), and some bacon. I really enjoyed it and it made me wonder why I don't eat breakfast more often.

author=Nightowl
Just asking quickly something that might cause your frequent headaches, Mitsu, are your teeth messed up or has a dentist ever said you might need dental braces? Why I'm asking this is because if you have problems with malocclusion, crossbite, overbite adadadsdfc, those can cause hell of headaches especially later.

Technically, I consider my teeth misshapen, but my dentist has never said I needed braces or anything. I think it's more my living environment that causes headaches: DUST. DUST EVERYWHERE.

Or this:
author=Dyhalto
Oh, btw. Your headaches are probably caused by poor posture. Too much sitting at the comp is usually the culprit...

author=Dyhalto
(does a flight of steps make you breath faster?)

Fortunately, no. I honestly would be scared if that ever happened.

author=KingArthur
...I've heard repeatedly that the simple act of taking a walk on a daily basis does wonders to improving one's health.

This is probably why I was healthier than I thought I was. I live on my college campus and I walk just about EVERYWHERE. I have a car, yeah, but I only use it if where I need to go isn't within a decent walking distance. There's a convenient store in walking distance to my school, so I might take trips to there more often.

author=Bonehead11
You wouldn't believe from what kind of cripples, scrawny scrunts became athletic monsters, so using excuses as "I will never be athletic" or " I dont have the body for it" is bullshit, its like with talent, some people have talent, but whats it good for if they dont sharpen it.

You know, my mother always says shit like "You're not fat; you don't need to exercise," all the time. It kind of pisses me off because people shouldn't just exercise only if their overweight. I want to be healthy, feel good about it, and just live a better lifestyle; that's the whole reason this topic was started. Point is, I never say shit like that, Bonehead11, so I completely agree.

author=Link_2112
Shadow boxing is fun, add that to the mix

Aw, hell yeah.

author=kentona
How do you guys deal with the fact that exercise is ridiculously boring?

I understand your sentiments, but I agree with Feld. Especially when I have friends to do it with.

author=Fallen-Griever
Find a sport (that requires a lot of movement) that you like. Find some people to play it with. Play it a few times a week. Done.

A friend of mine introduced me to badminton. I love it. I haven't gone with him in a while though. Next time he goes, hopefully I won't be busy and I can tag along.

I did a bit of working out in high school because all that peer pressure shit: I lifted some really light weights and did crunches and push-ups. I think I'll just start out doing that stuff again, along with a jog once or twice a week. I'll probably go with one or two of my friends to the gym to work out, as well, maybe catch a game of badminton. Also, I'd like to start going to breakfast more often. Since this semester has started, I probably have only gone to breakfast maybe 3 times. Yes, it's horrible, I know. The past week, though, I've been drinking more water with my lunch and dinner and almost every time ate some fruit (though, I love fruit anyway, so that was easy to decide); pears, peaches, and bananas, mostly. I f-ing love pears. Oh, and cantaloupe. My girlfriend loves mangoes, and I'm all like "WTF mangoes?" I've never tried just a plain mango. She's half Mexican, though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, the diet aspect of this endeavor has already started. Once I finish taking my antibiotics next week and I get over whatever-the-fuck this is, I'll start working out. Wish me luck!
Pages: first prev 123 last