STORY LINE MAKER EVENT

Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Hm.. this competition seems a bit unorganised to say the least. You said that you'd be the judge of voting and now it's open to the public? I don't really understand and it's a teeny bit unprofessional to be changing the rules during voting, but okay..

I don't think everyone will read every entry, so people at the end of the list have a really unfair disadvantage. I personally think this could've been handled a lot better, but meh.. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves writing their storylines anyhow, regardless of who wins!
Uh wha? I can't believe my lame-ass story had a vote. @____@
OH, BTW:sorry for double posting earlier, forgot about the edit button, then when I began, I felt I might as well post it as it is :( sorry.
author=Caz
Hm.. this competition seems a bit unorganised to say the least. You said that you'd be the judge of voting and now it's open to the public? I don't really understand and it's a teeny bit unprofessional to be changing the rules during voting, but okay..

I don't think everyone will read every entry, so people at the end of the list have a really unfair disadvantage. I personally think this could've been handled a lot better, but meh.. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves writing their storylines anyhow, regardless of who wins!

I agree with you. I mean, does the organizer expect everybody to read every single story before voting? I certainly wouldn't. I'd probably only have time to read the first quarter of about half of them. On top of that, it's a fairly ambiguous process of voting, with no clear defined rules; there should have at least been a poll or something to standardize the voting. Already the "icythophobia" story is probably going to win simply because it is the first story on the list (I'm not saying that it's not a bad story, but it's more likely to win than the rest). Especially since my story is one of the last on the list, and I put a lot of effort into making it a thrilling and suspenseful concept read. (Rant over)

Good luck to all, and may everyone judge equally and unbiased! Let's make this a competition to remember fondly, even despite the results.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
He gave us a week to read over the stories, though. And didn't we discuss how voting was open to the public on page, like, 3? So easily I forget. Though, I must concur with the idea that that certain stories (the first four), having the most exposure by virtue of having been available to read before the creative phase was supposed to be over with gave them an unfair advantage.

Saying that, let's make what choices I have more official:

Most Comedic: Entry 1 (Reginald has a condition known as “ichthyophobia”...)
There's something about this style of writing that says "tounge-in-cheek" so hard, that I firmly believe that nothing about it should be taken seriously at all. Entry 6 has was in contention for this title, but I feel Entry 1 is definitely more centralized to the "lutz" factor.

Most Creative: Entry 10 (Ambiguous State of Time)
Maybe it was just the title of Ambiguous State of Time? Maybe it was the "how this world works" section? Whatever the reason, something about this entry hit me that this was a very creative endeavor. Though, when you get to the body of the story, things are pretty cut-and-dry, but some of the concept text makes me think that there could be some interesting times here. The other possibility was entry 7, as it's the only story (that I read, anyway) that involved merfolk. Which, to my surprise, nobody actually used. I was half-expecting to read about an underwater version of Zelda, considering this theme!

Best Entry: Entry 9 (The Source)
I'm not 100% familiar with all the references this makes, but this is the only entry that has the appearance of being well-thought-out. Or thought-out at all in some cases.
Most Creative-Ambiguous State of Time

I agree that a lot more creativity seemed to go into the world building aspect of this than the actual story, but I still really enjoyed it.

Most Comedic-
Reginald the Icthyophobe

Its humor isn't as forced as some of the other entries, which makes it funnier by default. Before reading "Ambiguous State of Mind" I was ready to give this one Most Creative as well. It almost feels like the sort of game Tim Schafer might come up with, which is very high praise.

Best (One I liked the Best) -
Beyond Familiar Shores

This is a no-brainer for me. I like the early colonization/pre-industrial bent, and I am an absolute sucker for anything remotely Lovecraftian/Cthonic in nature. The mere mention of Deep Ones cemented its place in my voting results.

Honorable Mention - Pinwheel

Pinwheel's charming little tale almost unseated Beyond Familiar Shores as my favorite entry, but in the end it felt a bit too "Disney 2.0" for me.

Best Romance - NULL

Unfortunately, I don't have a selection for Best Romance as I'm not sure this was even attempted. The Sewale & Malay one had promise, but took it in the wrong direction. I'm not saying it should have been a Leo & Leah rehash where it is all about getting the girl back, but maybe the implied relationship could have grown in the story instead of being presupposed. With the death of Sewale promised at the ending, this could have gone into some good romantic tragedy territory.

Not sure if the "Citi-bank" and "Step-on-me" story was intended to be some "dark" post-Twilight "I love you because you'll kill me" attempt at romance, or just a stab at Stockholm Syndrome:The RPG.
Most Comedic: Reginald the Icthyophobe
I was dizzy as hell when I end reading this. I would like to read the source and beyond familiar shores but I before I reach the middle my eyes were dizzy as hell, I find a lot of trouble reading with the light of the computer so sorry, I manage to read other, and the ones which suppose to be comical, weren't so great, so that's is the only fair vote I can put :/
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Has everyone voted?

Also, if we do another event like this, I'll make sure I have willing judges before starting the event. I thought people would be more open to that. So for this one voting might take a long time. Thank you for people who have read many entries and I'm sorry for the bad organizing.

Remember, it's not all in vein! There is MS to get!
Romance - AUREO AND MAUI
Comedy - BUTCH MCMANUS
Mystery/Suspense - THE SOURCE
Most Creative - MARLON THE ZOOLOGIST
Best - THE SOURCE
Blobofgoo
I lost some of the names to the entries so I need to you to confirm which one is yours. Sorry for the inconvenience. PM them.
author=Marrend
The other possibility was entry 7, as it's the only story (that I read, anyway) that involved merfolk.

Goes to show you the stories on the bottom are less likely to be read. #12 contains only merfolk, and several different species designed around real world fish (and toads).

I'm not voting btw. This contest is just way to disorganized.

Also,
author=Merrend
Though, when you get to the body of the story, things are pretty cut-and-dry
getting voted most creative STORY makes me lose all hope in this competition.
Marrend
I've only one more comment: Very awkward competition!

Not that I'm claiming that I could do better, though.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
While this was poorly executed, it's true that nothing goes right the first time. I'd like to see this competition continue but maybe with some solid, unchanging rules laid down first.
I agree, I'd be happy to give this another go with some solid rules to follow.
Yup, I kind of just lost interest with this when voting opened up and I realized, "Oh wait. Everyone is voting, nothing is labeled/numbered in an organized fashion, this is going to be messy. Very, very messy."
Well, for the future: there should be some sort of custom page where it has all the submissions for the contest. Then when you click on each submission you can read it, and give a star rating (max 5) for each category on each submission (romance, comedy, gameplay etc.) and then an overall rating. Then at the end, the results will be averaged up and the winner will be fairly decided.

If you want, I can help create custom pages or whatever with ratings and such to make future contests a more streamlined process. If "mass voting" is the method that you want to decide the winner of the contest. I personally thought judges might be better and more efficient :/
Marrend
So, what's with this event, then? It might not have been the best-organized in the world, but we should still have a winner! And is Blobofgoo ever going to post his votes? If he does, will he post them with the hide-tag-tech reveal of which entry was written by who? Then again, maybe Blobofgoo cannot make that reveal?
Blobofgoo
I'm missing the names to 4, 5, 7, 8, and 14 still. I don't want to just have to disregard their work.

Edit: 4, 7, and 14
Oh. So now I know which stories got placings. And none of them are mine. Oh.

Congrats on the winners ;)
I think people are forgetting that outlining is not just simple brainstorming ideas. It works better around a framework, like the story model at http://www.youtube.com/clickokdotcodotuk

It's like when you do it at work - the moderator will tell you to come up with lots of different ideas - what's the problem? ideas for specific problems? ideas for buyers? ideas for sellers? and so on.

Congrats to the winners though. So cool.