Isrieri's castle compilation in SMBX!
In anticipation of Super RMN World, I'm taking it upon myself to issue a call to all potential SMBX devs! Even if you've never touched the engine, now's the time to give it a shot!
~ The Rundown ~
There is no maximum number of participants: Anyone can join, even those who've had no experience with the SMBX engine. Consider this getting your foot in the door.
~ Projected Timeline ~
Sign-ups: 01/01/12 ~ 01/6/13
Development: 01/06/13 ~ 01/27/13
Judging & Compilation: 01/29/13 ~ 01/31/13
That's all tentative. I am the worst procrastinator.
~ Submission Prerequisites ~
- Make all levels in SMBX. (This is critical, people!)
- All levels should be compressed in ZIP folders. When saving your level, always put your name followed by the name of the level. For example: “yourname_levelname.lvl”
- Rate each submission on a scale of 1 to 5. Here are some vague words attempting to define each difficulty.
- 1) Mild
- 2) Tricky
- 3) Challenging
- 4) Tough
- 5) Endgame
- You must include one (and only one!) SMW Checkpoint within each level, as this is all SMBX will support.
- The level must end with a ? Sphere.
- Place both the Player 1 and Player 2 start locations.
- If you include a boss, you may use any but Mother Brain. But I encourage putting your focus into the actual level.
- No midbosses though.
- You must be able to clear the level without taking a hit.
~ Level Rules ~
- Castles are supposed to be challenging. That doesn't necessarily mean difficult. Try and stay within the precedent set in previous Mario games. The purpose of this project is to get the hang of challenging the player without frustrating them.
- We're going for quality over quantity here, so you may submit up to 3 levels total.
- You are not limited to staying within any of the “styles” the castles previous Mario games adhered to. Use them as guidelines, but don't be afraid to innovate. Have fun with it!
- You may use custom graphics and MP3s if you wish.
- The game will only utilize Mario and Luigi as characters, so don't make Peach or Toad levels.
- All water must be swimmable. Waterfalls must not be.
- An average castle should take no longer than 2 to 4 minutes to complete. (And no shorter than 1 minute)
- This will be a strictly one player game. You don't have to design your castle to support co-op.
- No secret stars.
- No dialogue! That means no message blocks, signs, or talking npcs!
- You must have at least one power
- up. Remember that the amount of power-ups and how you place them contributes greatly to the difficulty of a level.
- Use invisible blocks wisely. No putting them over pits or other nonsense of that sort.
~ Important Note ~
Remember that this is open to anyone who wishes to explore SMBX as an engine: I'd like to see a lot of new faces for the next RMN Bros! There's a lot of quirks to the editor that I neglected to explain, and so you'll probably have lots of questions. I refer you to these tutorials, but don't hesitate to post your question here. I don't know everything about SMBX, but I'll likely have the answers to any the questions you'll want to ask.
- 01/02/2013 12:00 AM
- 01/31/2013 12:00 AM
You must be logged in to sign up for Castles- Masterpiece Set.
|Entry Status Key|