WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I want to say it's more important to stand up for your beliefs than it is to do almost anything else in life, including eating.

But on the other hand, it depends how stupid your beliefs are.
I'm thinking that people who can't get over themselves when denied something and decide on passive-aggressive stalking tactics are stupid as fuck and should grow the fuck up.

Yes, I am talking to you Rahl. Quit being a fuckwit.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Sorry, what? The one with the maps that needed some work, he's stalking you?

Well that's just 50 shades of stupid. I anticipate his banning, since I'm pretty sure that breaks the code of conduct.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Philosophical Question: Is it more important in life to stand up for your beliefs, or to avoid stress?

"But on the other hand, it depends how stupid your beliefs are."

Well considering people seldom if ever believe their own beliefs are stupid, let's go with "not very" for the purposes of this question.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=LockeZ
I want to say it's more important to stand up for your beliefs than it is to do almost anything else in life, including eating.

But on the other hand, it depends how stupid your beliefs are.

I'm trying to become a sorcerer. The majority of people in the world believe that magickal creatures created them. There are amazing things beyond the reach of our senses, but "believing" in the majority of things people believe in can be easily categorized as stupid. Of course, the exact opposite, believing that there is nothing beyond we already know because science hasn't found it is equally stupid, and additionally narrow-minded, but there are a lot of people that believe that, too.

I choose to believe that I can do great things with my imagination. My wife and I once did a ritual and when it ended, sand covered our altar. Nothing on the floor, and the ritual items on the altar were untouched. I have no explanation for it, but I believe in magick and I will never look back.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=pianotm
I choose to believe that I can do great things with my imagination. My wife and I once did a ritual and when it ended, sand covered our altar. Nothing on the floor, and the ritual items on the altar were untouched. I have no explanation for it, but I believe in magick and I will never look back.

Excuse my narrow-minded way of looking at this, but is it possible the altar was made of a very brittle type of rock, and did you heat the altar in this ritual by any chance? It would explain how the floor and items were untouched and all.

I choose to believe that while we must not look away from things science cannot yet explain, we must strive to find a scientific explanation for them.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Edit:double post
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Umm...making an altar out of something like that would cost money, which I didn't and really don't have. No, it was a little bartable, pretty sure it was finished in Formica, and it was covered in black cloth.
I believe that while it is admirable and right to stand up for your beliefs, sometimes you need to pick your battles. It also depends on the belief and how strongly you feel it.

Also, there is a huge difference between standing up for something and shoving it down every person's throat. Knowing the line would help the world a lot.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=LockeZ

I can see where you're coming from, but I mostly disagree. It always depends on how important these beliefs are for yourself and the people around you (I would fight someone over the question of whether it is okay to kill humans, but not over the question whether Chinese Food tastes good or not), and on whether actively standing up for your beliefs will do more harm than good.

Example: I am a convinced atheist. Does that mean I should call out LockeZ for not being one? Should I yell at pianotm and call him stupid for believing in paranormal phenomena? I could do that - and make some more enemies, make myself look bad, and reinforce the common prejudices that say atheists are narrow-minded, unempathetic and unhappy people. The result would be misery on all sides. For some reason, I'm not sure whether "standing up for my beliefs" like this is really the best idea.

What I can do is explain my own perspective in a rational way, try to see and respect the points others make and ask them to take my thoughts into consideration. Attacking others, mocking their beliefs and telling them how to live their lives will usually only result in a counterreaction, with the only effect being that they are even less likely to take my arguments seriously. With the exception of some fundamental rules of a functioning society, people must be allowed to choose their beliefs themselves and not forced to adapt others' beliefs.

In short, it is always recommendable to live according to one's own beliefs as long as nobody else is negatively affected by them. It is also a good idea to try and make others understand why one has these beliefs. But if one decides to actively "stand up" for them (which means opposing different beliefs), better be sure it can induce any positive effect at all. Because too often, the result will be the exact opposite of what was originally intended, and it will only cause unnecessary hostility where there could have been mutual understanding.

P.S.: Welcome back, Kylaila!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Frankly, I'm sick of the people that are like "let me talk to you about Jesus" and who make it their goal in life to "share the Gospel" with everyone. It very clearly states that you are to be a witness to those who ask and not to beat down the doors of and be a completely intolerable git to those who have their own beliefs and don't give a shit about yours.

My own mother has "given up" (he's chosen to not believe/go to hell) on my brother because he has critique of the Scriptures surrounding the "End Times". He made some incredibly valid points towards the implications of the rise of this Antichrist and how what it's meant to do (promise peace to Israel in the face of Islamic insurgence in order for the Jewish people to give up their land, proceeded by the slaughter of many at it's own hand) being practically impossible in the age in which we live.
oh my god i didn't know you could do so many tasty things with hazelnuts
beliefs suck. They are often irrational, and our instincts are horrible at navigating the modern world. fuck beliefs, never trust your gut (it's almost always wrong), and be skeptical and inquisitive instead.
NeverSilent
What I can do is explain my own perspective in a rational way, try to see and respect the points others make and ask them to take my thoughts into consideration.

Really, I think that this is what standing up for your beliefs means. I don't think it means trying to convince others that your beliefs are the best or only right ones, it means standing up against the people who would do that to you, and not being intimidated into changing your beliefs just because someone else was shoving theirs in your face.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/woman-seen-harassed-nyc-streets-video-gets-rape-183934590.html?vp=1

A woman featured in a video in which she is harassed more than 100 times on New York City's streets said on Thursday that she has received dozens of rape threats after the clip was posted on the Internet and watched widely.

like fuck people.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

Advertisements
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I didn't really mean "spend all your time arguing" so much as "stand up for what you think is really important if it's being attacked and is in danger"

But I mean my own strongest beliefs, the ones I really care about, are about video games. So. Like, uh. Yeah.

That's why I go on giant thread-deletion-invoking rants about how game making should be the human instrumentality project every time RMN threatens to disallow certain types of game submissions (okay that only happened once). I think art is really really important, possibly more important than human life. I think my arguments about this have caused the only true thread deletion since Kentona took over?

I mean it's not like I don't argue about stuff on the internet. But I don't do it nonstop. I only do it when the topic seems interesting and I want to hear what people have to say about it, or when staying quiet would cause me more stress than arguing.
author=LockeZ
But I mean my own strongest beliefs, the ones I really care about, are about video games. So. Like, uh. Yeah.
This, really. There are a few other things I'll argue about, but in general, I don't give a shit.

author=Dudesoft
T_\\SADNESS FEELS!
I saw that before. It's really sad, but I think it's great that the dog had such a special last day.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I didn't really mean "spend all your time arguing" so much as "stand up for what you think is really important if it's being attacked and is in danger"

This. Although there is frightening overlap between the two in certain situations.

Really, I think that this is what standing up for your beliefs means. I don't think it means trying to convince others that your beliefs are the best or only right ones, it means standing up against the people who would do that to you, and not being intimidated into changing your beliefs just because someone else was shoving theirs in your face.

This also.