WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Yes, you need to change the default US English dictionary to the correct one. Otherwise you'll keep being told off for Aluminium too, and colour, armour, flavour etc.

Isn't the old wives tale that if you die in a dream you die in reality, so your body wakes you up before you actually die in the dream-state. Still how would that work, (not the dream death = real death, since that's a myth) I mean if you dreamt you died then all memory and thought would cease within the dream, so you wouldn't remember being dead. Your last memory would be of dying. If the dream continues on from that point, with I don't know, someone finding your body or your funeral etc. then simply the act of being an observer negates the 'death' label I would imagine.

I had no idea "dreamt" was considered British English specifically (I'm American)...

author=nhubi
If the dream continues on from that point, with I don't know, someone finding your body or your funeral etc. then simply the act of being an observer negates the 'death' label I would imagine.
Something like that would actually be along the lines of what I'm thinking about. Everyone has those dreams where they fall off a cliff or get caught by the monster or whatever, but I've never heard of anyone's dreams continuing beyond that point. It seems like the shock/trauma of a simulated death always jerks people awake.
(Also, I've never heard of someone dreaming of a slow/lame death like "my doctor said I had pneumonia or whatever and then I laid around for two weeks and died and that's when I woke up".)
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
I believe "dreamt" is also American slang depending on where you grew up :)

Also turkeyDawg, you might want to check with your doctor about those prescription drugs you're taking. At least I hope they are prescription drugs :)

Seriously, some medications can give you weird dreams. I've noticed that with my own meds :)
nhubi
author=turkeyDawg
I had no idea "dreamt" was considered British English specifically (I'm American)...

My apologies for the inference, it's simply rare I read anyone from that side of the pond using the term, so I made the incorrect assumption you were from a commonwealth country. Though as Linkis points out it may be more commonplace in areas with a closer tie to the original colonists, so the Eastern coast may use it with a level of frequency.

author=turkeyDawg
(Also, I've never heard of someone dreaming of a slow/lame death like "my doctor said I had pneumonia or whatever and then I laid around for two weeks and died and that's when I woke up".)]

Actually I have, quite a few in fact. Friends of mine in the literary sphere dreaming of regency period dramas with themselves cast in the role of hero or heroine, consumption being a convenient and somewhat romantic way to die in such tales quite a lot of them dreamt of being in that position. Slow soft deaths with all the tragic 'life cut short' moments to savour. Of course TB is actually a pretty horrible way to go, but it's never portrayed that way through the soft focus lens of 18 and 19th century writers. Well other than Dickens.

But you are right mostly the shock of a sudden death in a dream does wake you up, after all the brain does function in a dream state in the same way it does in a a waking one. If you are being chased in a dream your heart-rate and perspiration increases, adrenaline and glucose production kicks in and since voluntary motor activity is suppressed the only way to get yourself out of the experience is to awaken. When it comes right down to it, our brain is cleverer than we are, it sees and recognises danger and reacts to it long before the reasoning part of us does.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Desync in dangerous, unfamiliar territory in Path of Exile = the worst.
Accidentally clicking return to town instead of checkpoint = priceless.

There's some rage money can't buy. For everything else, fuck you.
author=nhubi
RW is featured, so Addit will be happy.

Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I'm watching dragonball.
nhubi
Waiting on a phone call.
author=nhubi
Yep, N&N was stuck for the last month and a half. Well it was put on hold, I think Deckiller requested it, something to do with not wanting to show bias in regard to the IGMC entries posted here...or at least that's the scuttlebutt.

yeah Deckiller has been MIA for months now. I might need to build a new secret cabal of shadow puppet masters to control the direction of RMN... I mean... What?
nhubi
author=kentona
author=nhubi
Yep, N&N was stuck for the last month and a half. Well it was put on hold, I think Deckiller requested it, something to do with not wanting to show bias in regard to the IGMC entries posted here...or at least that's the scuttlebutt.

yeah Deckiller has been MIA for months now. I might need to build a new secret cabal of shadow puppet masters to control the direction of RMN... I mean... What?

What's the first rule of secret cabal's? Seriously Kentona you're going to get black-balled if you keep this up.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Pianotm, where are you? I had another dream. This time, it was serious.

So I'm hanging out with some old schoolhouse buds in a grocery store that just so happens to have lunch tables like you'd see in any school (the ones with the seats connected to the tables). One of my classmates had an affection towards a girl that I had developed a crush on back in middle school (real age now in the dream, of course) and, despite it obviously not leading anywhere, he sought out love cards to give her to break the ice and win her heart. He tried three times, each time failing to catch her. The third time, he sent a card with little cartoon bears on it that said something along the lines of "I want you...". He hastily took this card to her, who then, with her friend, approached us sitting at the table and made a public spectacle of his latest attempt by reading the card aloud. Inside the card, it continued with (paraphrasing of course) "to fight me." The card went on in some strange fashion, and we all got a good laugh at his misfortune. I tried to turn my head away to keep from being obvious.

The only thing I can gather from this without automatically jumping to the conclusion of 'I'm still obsessed with her and I should seek help' (I've dreamed about wanting to talk to her a few times in the past, despite the fact that I spend absolutely 0% of any given day thinking about her) is that perhaps this classmate is meant to resemble a younger me who hasn't let go, while the true me has already done so; and that now I can see the foolishness of pursuing something I found appealing on the surface without considering that this time spent might have been wasted as I never considered what might be underneath (I was going through puberty and I thought she was cute, therefore I wanted to know her better. That's pretty much it). I'd really like to think this was my long-awaited closure on the matter, or at least is a metaphor for a growing list of my regrets. These things being:

1. Social exclusion/awkwardness leading to what I deem "wasted opportunities" (I have only myself to blame for this).
2. Stress leading to turning down what I should want out of life. I didn't start dreaming about being in a grocery store until after I quit my first two jobs. I've been dreaming about school for much longer, probably as a result of dropping out in high school to pursue online schooling. The strange thing is, it's always based around middle school in my dreams.
author=nhubi

Because Decky was/is one of the main judges/competition runners, he decided it would probably be best if there was no bias shown towards any of the games in the running for 10,000. He's been a bit busy with the whole thing, what with there being a lot more games than expected (honestly, he figured maybe 400 for both genres but it ended up being 700+) as well as the judging taking longer too, due to both the amount of games and not realising how taxing playing a ton of games and doing write-ups for each would be.
Now, though, since the competition is in the mid-last stage of judging, it should be fine to show some of the awesome games that came through... and there were some pretty neat games. ^.^

Once the results are announced I'm gonna work all my write-ups into reviews so that'll be fun~
nhubi
Wow Liberty you'll race to the top of the review board if you turn your 150 game write ups into reviews, that'll be great to read.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation re the N&N, I'm not sure what the system is that elevates games in that section but it's probably the most responsive, and therefore the one more likely to run the risk of RMN being seen to promote something even when it's obviously automated.
The 7500ms wouldn't hurt, either.
nhubi
author=kentona
The 7500ms wouldn't hurt, either.

Hmm, she'd be top of the board with that! Kentona you;d better write some more reviews....or you know, finish a game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Corfaisus
Pianotm, where are you? I had another dream. This time, it was serious.

Here I am.

So I'm hanging out with some old schoolhouse buds in a grocery store that just so happens to have lunch tables like you'd see in any school (the ones with the seats connected to the tables).

This sounds an awful lot like going back to school, which can have a number of meanings: recalling a more innocent time, recalling the time in your life when you first encountered real responsibility, and this (where old friends are concerned) can also denote aspects of your personality you've rejected or forgotten.

One of my classmates had an affection towards a girl that I had developed a crush on back in middle school (real age now in the dream, of course) and, despite it obviously not leading anywhere, he sought out love cards to give her to break the ice and win her heart. He tried three times, each time failing to catch her. The third time, he sent a card with little cartoon bears on it that said something along the lines of "I want you...". He hastily took this card to her, who then, with her friend, approached us sitting at the table and made a public spectacle of his latest attempt by reading the card aloud. Inside the card, it continued with (paraphrasing of course) "to fight me." The card went on in some strange fashion, and we all got a good laugh at his misfortune. I tried to turn my head away to keep from being obvious.

Hmm...are you sure it's your friend and not you? I get the strong feeling you're watching this from a third person pov while viewing a representation of yourself. There's a suggestion of insecurity, here.

The only thing I can gather from this without automatically jumping to the conclusion of 'I'm still obsessed with her and I should seek help'

I doubt that.

(I've dreamed about wanting to talk to her a few times in the past, despite the fact that I spend absolutely 0% of any given day thinking about her) is that perhaps this classmate is meant to resemble a younger me who hasn't let go, while the true me has already done so; and that now I can see the foolishness of pursuing something I found appealing on the surface without considering that this time spent might have been wasted as I never considered what might be underneath (I was going through puberty and I thought she was cute, therefore I wanted to know her better. That's pretty much it).

This seems a well reasoned conclusion, but let me add that clearly this girl represents a part of personality that defines who you are today. The girl then played a role in shaping who are. Her constant presence in your dreams might seem obsessive, but again, it feels more like your dreams are trying to remind you of a part of yourself you've forgotten or rejected.

I'd really like to think this was my long-awaited closure on the matter, or at least is a metaphor for a growing list of my regrets.

If only it were that simple...

These things being:

1. Social exclusion/awkwardness leading to what I deem "wasted opportunities" (I have only myself to blame for this).
2. Stress leading to turning down what I should want out of life. I didn't start dreaming about being in a grocery store until after I quit my first two jobs. I've been dreaming about school for much longer, probably as a result of dropping out in high school to pursue online schooling. The strange thing is, it's always based around middle school in my dreams.

And these could very well be triggers. We all have "wasted opportunities", but do you really want to dwell on what might have been? You may want to look into furthering your education and start pursuing would could be.
Wait pianotm, you offer free insights on people's dreams? Mind if I hitch in?
Corfaisus
Because this thread is dead as a doorknob, take kittens!

nhubi

That image rendered me speechless for a moment.
My birthday is pretty soon. Don't worry, I'll make sure you guys know the day because I'm self absorbed like that~

I'll also make myself look productive on that day even though I'll actually only be productive during the days leading up to it.