RMN MAP-DESIGN CONTEST [WINNERS ANNOUNCED]

Pages: first 123456 next last
Overview: What is this?

Prompted by a small staff discussion recently, I saw opportunity in bringing the often commonplace Mapping Competitions here to RPGMaker.net! These endeavors have been quite successful in my experience, and I felt it would be mutually beneficial for us all to participate!

These events will henceforth (at least, depending on success) be a monthly (or bi-monthly?) occurrence on the site, with the theme and basis being open to discourse prior to establishing it's respective topic. I felt it would be in our best interest to begin with something simple and accessible, a mere RM2k3 tileset. It contains primarily Rudra content with a bit of edited material as a supplement.

The given chipset:

Rules & Guidelines:
For purposes of this contest, we have decided to implement several member-guiding directions in terms of it's procedure:
  • The map will need to be playable. This entails an uploaded Game Folder with a maximum file-size of approximately 12MB.
  • As made clear by the above, this means your map must be functional. The player must be able to traverse, explore, and (ideally) interact with it. No mockups.
  • MP3's, Overlays, effects, and events may be used, but they will be taken into account in the judging process.
  • You may edit the tileset as you like, but use minimal outside content. There is no defining rule in this regard, but be reasonable.
  • There is a maximum map size of 60x60, and a minimum of 20x20.
  • Submissions will be due on Saturday, May 10, 5:00PM EST. They may either be posted in this topic or PMed to BlindSight/Karsuman. If all transpires as directed, the staff tentatively plans to release the submissions at once, leaving them open for public critique. Each entry must be accompanied by at least a single screenshot.

Prizes and Such:
  • A voting process will take effect for the three days following the deadline. Members will nominate a particular member's piece (not their own!) for eligibility to win one of the two cash prizes offered by myself.
  • On Monday, 5:00PM EST, the nomination process shall come to a close, and a committee of judges; Myself, Karsuman and BrandonAbley, shall access the top-three entrants based on a number of factors. These include:

-Ambience and atmosphere.
    -Playability & coherence.
    -Aesthetic appearance.
    -Function and navigability.
    -Use of sound design.
    -Originality/Uniqueness.
    -Miscellaneous elements.

• You may only nominate two submissions!

Note: It will be at the discretion of the judges whether an entry complies properly with the rules and guidelines; regardless of nominations!
    -----------------------
    • First Prize: $15 USD.
    • Second Prize: $5 USD.
      Prizes are available respectively by either PayPal transaction or mail. Please note that with the latter you shall be taking a risk!
    • Judges may enter the contest freely, but are not eligible for nomination nor prizes.
    • In addition, the judging committee shall provide a personal, comprehensive assortment of feedback for each and every map contributed. If nothing else, use this event to better your mapping prowess!

Entries:

Craze:
    My submission is being FTPed right now. I didn't edit the chipset, the entire thing is an externally-solved riddle, the map is only 20x20 and it features singing. It's also the creepiest RM* "game" ever made.

<3

'kay, uploaded and whatnot:

-------------------------

Chartley:
    Well, here's my entry!
    http://www.rpgmaker.net/~chartley/Forest.zip

And of course, a screenshot.

One thing to note, there is a little story sort of mini game in there. It should be said that there is no way to actually lose at the mini game. There are six possible outcomes of the story game! Also, the story game is kind of a rip off of Final Fantasy 9's similar sidequest. ^_^

Iamnot:
    Heres my map:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1547385

Little Wing Guy:
    I'm having a funny five minutes, just ignore the above post xD

Idk what to say about this, it's a bit weird. If you talk to the person at the lake you get to play the lamest, most over used type of mini game ever.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ang0on

Myersguy:
    So, here is my feeble attempt to win this contest against you map-masters. Anyways, it's a nice simple map with a small quest of escaping the forest. It has a nice transition in and out of the forest.

Oh and by the way, I was even nice enough to include the rtp in the gamedisk creator! Actually, I just did that because I haven't used 2003 in a while, so I don't remember how to make it work without rtp. Anyways, here is download

DOWNLOAD

Neophyte:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/nhk41q
    If you need another download link, I'll be glad to provide one.
    Also whenever you update the thread, use these two screenshots.

This is a stand-alone project, so people can play this even if they don't have the RTP installed. However, if any problems do exist, feel free to tell me.

Have fun. =)

BlindSight:

Glades of the Shimmering Sapphire

Download: Here!

--------------------------

Participants:
    1.) BlindSight
    2.) Veridianne
    3.) iamnot
    4.) Nightblade
    5.) Chartley
    6.) Tau
    7.) Little Wing Guy
    8.) Neophyte
    9.) Sion
    10.) Craze
    11.) Mr. Nemo
    Please post if you are remotely interested! :]
  • YDS
    member of the bull moose party
    Hm, I'll think about it. Actually, okay, I'll do it. Can we edit these chips?
    I would like to participate. I should be able to whip up something in time.
    15 dollars for mapping? I'll do one.
    I'm in! Though I don't really want the 15 if I win.
    Also, we should have a VX mapping contest next.
    Good going fellows. I will be your harsh mistress!
    Blind, you're entering, yet you are a judge as well? That means you're just entering for fun, right?

I may participate, but don't put my name on there yet. If I can find the time, I'll see what I can do.
    Woah that is incentive I may give this a go. If not this one the next map for sure.

Edit: With my exams coming up I'll pass on this one but next time for sure.
    ;D Yeah I'll enter. So you want us to create a new game, make the map, and upload the whole game folder? Just checking.

EDIT: Nevermind, thats a stupid thing to ask.
    Tau
    RMN sex symbol
    I'll enter this I guess, but I don't really want any money for a probably 30 or so minute map(That's only if I get a winning place haha) but good luck to whoever enters! ;D

Edit - On a side note Blind your avatar freaks me out, seriously it gives me the shits man haha..
    argh R2mk3 grumble grumble

Anyway guys I am helping judge with this so I hope you make some awesome maps!
    I dunno, Rm2k3 seems like a good choice for a mapping contest - it's more common than RMXP or VX, and VX is still too new to have some awesometastic chips. The NEXT contest (hush-hush) will be RMVX centric. You didn't hear that from me. ;)

I'm not very good at making fancy maps, so I won't be participating.

HOWEVER, are there any restrictions on charsets? People can import a ton of charsets, and that of course can affect the look...
    You crazy? Hell yes. I always knew my mapping would "pay" off one of these days.
    I'm definitely in. I'ma be mapping my ass off for this!

Oh, haha got a little carried
    away there...Good Luck Everyone?

~Sion
    HOWEVER, are there any restrictions on charsets? People can import a ton of charsets, and that of course can affect the look...

Well, I've already used an over lay and a few characters so I hope that's okay. If not, then I've made this map for fun. Also, the character sets won't be used to change the look, they're for a mini game I'm throwing in.
    Craze
    why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
    HI

That chipset (or most of it) is what made me the mapper for the now-defunct NotSuikoden.

Also, if I win any prize then the money can go to the next person.
    author=Sion link=topic=1044.msg14889#msg14889 date=1210104001
    You crazy? Hell yes. I always knew my mapping would "pay" off one of these days.

~Sion
    Do you....do you know who I am?

;)
    author=Neophyte link=topic=1044.msg14900#msg14900 date=1210108154
    author=Sion link=topic=1044.msg14889#msg14889 date=1210104001

~Sion
    Do you....do you know who I am?

;)

OHHH, I was just doing this for fun, but now thats been said...YOU GON GET SERVED!...(By me) xD
    Heh, sounds good to me. I'm eager to see what you guys can come up with.

~Sion
    So, about this chipset. I was lloking to put a bridge into my map, but something is missing. Where is the upper right post for the bridge. Help asap would be appreciated as I want to work on this map (although I don't think there is a chance in hell of me winning...)
    Pages: first 123456 next last