GAMES WE NEED TO GET OVER

World of Warcraft. Actually, just the term WOW-clone. It seems that every MMO ever gets labeled this if they happen to have quests and EXP. Every game is like every other game, we get it. Just like every mannequin is essentially the same, but in both instances it is the dressing that counts.

Also, Chrono Trigger might be the greatest game ever made. I play it nearly every year and enjoy it every time.

Also, hype-trains for upcoming games. Notably, Guild Wars 2. It's not going to revolutionize the MMO genre, it's just going to be another wow-clone.
I'm a fan of open world exploration games but Skyrim still failed hard. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic did a great job back in 2006, a few months after Oblivion came out, making fun action packed combat with battlefield manipulation in a first person RPG. Skyrim is Oblivion Combat ++ and I'm hesitant even adding those ++. A lot of the quests feel incredibly same-y with stale rewards. iirc I sank 8 hours into it until I did a Bard College quest that was "go to dungeon, kill stuff in dungeon, congrats you are a bard I guess" which was the final nail in the coffin for me. At least that Fellowship or whatever quest line was "hey you can become a werewolf" which gave me early hope of cool shit that never materialized. I do want to give it another chance and see if I missed the cool quests or something one night when I get the time and abuse the console to deal with the crap (I just want dragon armor I don't want to grind leather gauntlets until I can) but it's a ways down there on the "games to play/resume" list.

I'm convinced the design of Skyrim was "How can we make Oblivion better?" and not "How can we make a cool game?".
author=kentona
Notably, Guild Wars 2. It's not going to revolutionize the MMO genre, it's just going to be another wow-clone.

No man, Guild Wars is going to be a "WOW-KILLER".
That's another term that needs to die.
I agree! Although they're both kind of digressions from the topic. The Call of Duty franchise. They aren't really doing anything good or new with the series, they might as well slap a 2K1X sticker on there for whatever year they're releasing the projected title because it is a bit unnecessary to charge 60 bucks for a game with the same fundamental elements and engine that hasn't been changed much at all, save a new story line (even though everyone knows you don't buy Modern Warefare to sit at home and play the campaign by yourself).
author=a_cat
No man, Guild Wars is going to be a "WOW-KILLER".

To be honest, WoW is probably not going to get "killed" by any other game. It will be players getting bored and content getting stale, which has already begun. WoW has been going strong for almost 10 years, do you know how ridiculous that is for an MMO? If no other game has pushed it off its pedestal by now, then I don't think anything other than problems with the game itself will.

As for other games people need to get over, modern war shooters is #1 on my list. When the 10 most recent games in that genre to be released have the defining feature of "Some of our pixels are higher res than the pixels of the other game!" then you have some issues, and yet people still buy them by the millions because "GRAFIX! BRO, THE GRAFIX!!1!"

author=Sailerius
Chrono Trigger. It was decent for its time, but it didn't do anything that a thousand games haven't improved upon since. The characters were flat and one dimensional, the combat was stock ATB, the pacing was sluggish, and the majority of the game was excruciatingly linear. It was a solid game, but we've come a long way since then.

I was actually just thinking the other day that no game I can think of has implemented time travel as a gameplay mechanic in a way that's as enjoyable as CT. There could be some I missed... but it doesn't seem like many games have even tried to improve on that concept, which is strange. There are games like Prince of Persia that let you rewind time a little bit, but why haven't there been more games that allow (or require) you to travel through several different eras of time, changing things in earlier eras to fix things in later ones?

...rather than nominating one game specifically, I'd like to say we need to get over non-linearity in general. I enjoy the Elder Scroll games and I used to like the GTA games, but nowadays there seems to be too much emphasis in RPG/Adventure games being "open-ended". I find it really hard to get into a game's plot when there's absolutely no sense of urgency. Like, when you played Skyrim, did you really care what happened to the land or any of the characters living in it? I sure didn't. Oh, some dragons are going to destroy the world and I'm the only one who can stop them? Sorry, don't care, I'm gonna go loot this dude's house.

I'm not saying Elder Scrolls and similar games should stop existing, but there's nothing wrong with somewhat linear adventure games that tell a good deep story.
I suggest you check out Astroboy: Omega Force. The first run-through has no time travel (that you control) and is halfway to nonsense due to the disjointed narrative. Then you hit the last stage, shit hits fan, and you get the power to time travel and go back to stage 1 for a second run-through. There's a few changes second time round: You do have to redo the stages and they're harder now but the narrative's changed. That and the ability to travel to past stages (TIME TRAVEL) lets you piece the narrative together, figure out what's going on, and how to fix it.

There isn't much going to wacky new eras if that's what you're looking for but I personally like how they handle time travel more than Chrono Trigger's happy go lucky adventure to save the world.
author=TGDF
Hey guys,

Just thought you might like to know, the next Reverse Design is up. It's on Chrono Trigger! Check it out: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_1.html

There's also an ebook version which is a lot nicer looking and has various extra features, you can preview it here: http://thegamedesignforum.com/features/reverse_design_CT_ebook.html

Cheers!

This seems relevant.
Whoa, I'll have to read that whole thing when I've got some time...
author=NewBlack
Also interestingly enough, Starfox 64 is called "Lylat Wars" in this country.

It is where I'm from too. It came to Australia as "Lylat wars".

For me it will always be "star wars with puppies", but that's the fun of it.
I just finished reading the Reverse Design on Chrono Trigger. The game is even more amazing than I believed!
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kentona
I just finished reading the Reverse Design on Chrono Trigger. The game is even more amazing than I believed!
I thought it was reading far too deeply into it. You could write an essay like that for any game if you were dedicated enough. Just like how literature teachers in high school will spend an hour class discussing the symbolic significance of green curtains, when the author just happened to be looking at green curtains while writing that passage.

EDIT since I don't want to make another post to continue this tangent:
I disagree on principle. If something is done well, you SHOULD study it in detail like that, if you want to learn from it. Even if the original author didn't think about why it worked so well and just did it instinctively, that doesn't make the observations about why it worked so well any less valid. It doesn't make studying it in depth any less beneficial. You should try to learn from the best.
I don't think Chrono Trigger was very good, nor do I think there's much to learn from it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@WhiteLion: Actually, with the exception of the sun stone sidequest and the final boss, Chrono Trigger never lets you travel through time to change anything, except to revert problems you accidentally caused yourself or to get treasure chests. Time travel certainly drives everything you do, and the party is always trying to use it to solve all kinds of major problems, but history never changes.

Games I've played that let you use time travel to significant actual effect include Dragon Quest 7, SaGa 3, Ocarina of Time, FF13-2, Day of the Tenctacle (PLAY THIS ONE), and... uh, I guess I could count Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego.

I'm gonna go ahead and list SaGa 2 as one of those games we need to get over. Guys, it was better than the other two FF Legend games, but it was still pretty bad.

author=Sailerius
author=kentona
I thought it was reading far too deeply into it. You could write an essay like that for any game if you were dedicated enough. Just like how literature teachers in high school will spend an hour class discussing the symbolic significance of green curtains, when the author just happened to be looking at green curtains while writing that passage.
I disagree on principle. If something is done well, you SHOULD study it in detail like that, if you want to learn from it. Even if the original author didn't think about why it worked so well and just did it instinctively, that doesn't make the observations about why it worked so well any less valid. It doesn't make studying it in depth any less beneficial. You should try to learn from the best.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Wow RMN, collectively speaking, you fuckers hate a lot of great games. : P
This topic makes me so sad, I refuse to even read it.
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
We’re nerds. Bashing on the things we used to love is part of the job description.
author=masterofmayhem
We’re nerds. Bashing on the things we used to love is part of the job description.

And what about that Tetris, eh, guys? We totally need to get over that... so 1980s.