TRICON (GAME IDEA)

Pages: 1
I don't know if this is the right forum for this (and if it isn't, please let me know), but here we go:
Ok, this is an idea I have, and have been tossing around for about 3 months. A major thing that I'm tossing around is the combat system, but I'll get back to that later. For now, here's the high concept (yes, it will sound familiar to another game):

Thirteen years ago, Amethyst Industrials released the first of the Catalysts, special crystals which are capable of storing and displaying the information of their newest product aimed towards encouraging face-to-face interaction and competition between users: Tricons. With a heavy emphasis on magic, users were nicknamed Summoners. Within those intervening years, it quickly became one of the most popular phenomenons, resulting in the formation of an international league and numerous minor leagues. However, efforts to form a cohesive international tournament ended in disaster, when the first official league ended prematurely, with the results being permanently sealed. Now, after several years of silence, the international tournament has returned, with the former Champions from other main leagues being called upon to add legitimacy and challenge, while certain "incentives" and rewards convince them to participate. While most people can't afford the steep entrance fee (you included), a mysterious set of papers and colorless Catalyst seem to have earned you an entry.

So yeah, it's a bit muddled right now, but it gets the general idea across.

The main problem I have, is with the combat system, as I can't choose (i.e., would like a general opinion) between:
a.1v1
-Static, standard combat. think Pokemon or Earthbound
b.teamvteam
-Whole team at once, but still more or less static think Final Fantasy or Brave Frontier
c.Free form
-Only one Tricon, however, you face of in an arena, and have to manually aim all your attacks Think Zelda or Kingdom Hearts

Something I want to do is have the player be able to fight the Champions in the order they choose, with the Champions difficulty (and rewards) scaling with them. The last 4 champions will not have an associated dungeon with them, as they will all be at a grand arena, meaning that you would also loose out on any items, money, and experience that you would have got facing them.

I have some concept art for the Tricons and Champions, both of which, I plan on drawing too much of at first, before refining it down, but I only have 1 sketch dump scanned in:

Thank you for reading this. If you have any question, comments, concerns, want to help, want to bash, etc., please let me know either here or through pm.

Have a nice day.
Pages: 1