THE NEXT RPG MAKER

Pages: first prev 1234 last
It's probably a little too much to ask for but I would fricken love the ability to do isometrics. I know there's scripting for it, but from what I gather you need to be quite proficient at scripting to work with and around it and proficient at scripting I am not.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I swear if they make a tactics RPG Maker I would buy it. I mean there's a demand for different kinds of battle mechanics. It's not like if they would make it that no one would buy it.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=kory_toombs
I swear if they make a tactics RPG Maker I would buy it. I mean there's a demand for different kinds of battle mechanics. It's not like if they would make it that no one would buy it.

^^ This.

Supposedly, one is in the works. Sadly, it has Enterbrain's name on it.
author=Liberty
Parallax mapping probably isn't going to be upgraded as it's not in-engine work. Why would the developers spend time on something that isn't meant to be used in-engine? That'd be like adding an image editing program inside the engine so that you could create your own graphics without having to use any other program at all. Sillyness.

That said, being able to pick the grid size for mapping would be nice. That is, 8/16/32 grid increments would be very helpful for making great maps without resorting to all-out parallaxing.

This. I don't think we need full-fledged parallel mapping features with Photoshop equivalent features, but just a few things (more control over grid placed mapping, events, and movement) and added back layers would allow for a less rigid form of mapping.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=UPRC
What?

UPRC wants details.

No, I can't find the article now. When I started making my big project, I came to the decision to do space battles in a tactics style. That was about two months ago. I looked for tutorials on how to make a tactics system, couldn't find any, but I stumbled across an article in my search that Enterbrain had a Tactics RPG Maker on hiatus. I've since figured out how to do it on RM2K3, so I haven't been looking really, since.
I've played a few tactics style rpg's. They can be just as fun as turn-based and action adventure rpg's. If it went on hiatus, though, who knows when/if it will ever come about. But it'd be nice if EB explored other battle mechanics more often.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I found some interesting scripts for tactics based battle.
There's actually an XP and VX demo:

http://www.gdunlimited.net/scripts/rpg-maker-xp/custom-battle-scripts/gtbs-gubid-s-tactical-battle-system

Though making a game through a script has setbacks compared to having a dedicated engine for it.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=kory_toombs
Upon reflection in the 1990's!

This is the J-RPG maker of the future, today!
I want to be able to customize more things with simple point and click and drag and drop options.
Scripting pisses me off because I can't script, and when you rely on other people's scripts, you get all sorts of sh*t about "not for commercial use" GAHH F that!
I feel like scripting was a bad idea from the get go.
I like RM2K3 the most honestly, but even it has things about it that piss me off and I feel should be expanded on.
Like more font options, more colors and more customization for battle systems.
Like I said before, I get tired of the scripting scene... it's a BIG pain in the ass!
Also, the small screen space is annoying.. you can't do wide screen without some kinda script or hacking or tinkering with the software which EB has a big issue with.
I'm not sure what they plan to do, but I hope it's better than the approach they've been taking.
Anyhow, that's just how I feel about it.
Like more font options, more colors and more customization for battle systems.

You mean like they added with VXA/Script Support? TO be honest, if you're legitimately planning on selling a game then you should probably budget an actual hired programmer to make things specifically for the project. There are pretty obvious reasons why programmers working for free/fun wouldn't want their code to be used and sold, since they wouldn't see any money from it in the end.

I would like to see more native resolution control, perhaps selecting tile sizes in addition to screen resolution/scaling and shit.
No... if you read my entire comment, you would know I said I'm sick of scripting, and I rather have point and click drag and drop options.
Scripting to me was a bad idea from the get go.
Which is also why I mentioned what I mentioned about 2K3.
This entire thread is about posting what you would like to see, not having folks fire back and tell you why your thoughts are wrong.
Yeesh.
I didn't say anything about you being wrong. I am simply saying that scripting is a huge bonus since you can practically do anything you want to the game with it, including the things that you're asking for. You just have to put some initiative into getting those things working for yourself.

I won't sit here and go on and on about why I can't script.
But trust me I can't.
I have an easier time making art than doing scripting.
It would be nice to be able to convince someone to help with scripting, but in my experience that's been like looking for a needle in a haystack.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Scripting pisses me off because I can't script, and when you rely on other people's scripts, you get all sorts of sh*t about "not for commercial use" GAHH F that!

Only some scripts are for commercial use only, and that's for the scripter to decide, just like the decision to make your game commercial.

I feel like scripting was a bad idea from the get go.

You don't need to actually know how to script in order to use some scripts. Most of them you just copy-and-paste them in there and it changes it for you. For those who can it's a great addition that enables you to create more complex systems. So if you don't like scripting, then just ignore the feature and leave it to the pros, and you can use what you have. Also, game development is complicated in general, so why not dive into the scripts and make your RPG custom? If you're confused and easily frustrated by simple things like copy/pasting scripts and changing certain variables, boy you must really be confused by some of the more complex parts of game development. My recommendation is to get right in there, get rid of your preconceived notions and start actually learning that stuff, and then you might find you actually like it. Instead of making a blanket statement like "scripts were a bad idea".

Also, the small screen space is annoying.. you can't do wide screen without some kinda script or hacking or tinkering with the software which EB has a big issue with.

The script is easy to use. You just plug it in, and change the variables for X and Y of your screen. EB doesn't have issue with resizing, in fact Archeia has provided a .dll herself that is hosted on the RPG Maker Web site and it is in testing by Enterbrain at the moment.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=MarkusT
I won't sit here and go on and on about why I can't script.
But trust me I can't.
I have an easier time making art than doing scripting.
It would be nice to be able to convince someone to help with scripting, but in my experience that's been like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Scripting is really, really easy. You just need to devote two months to learning Ruby then transitioning over to RGSS. You're not going to go make some dumb Yanfly suite afterward, but it still pays off in serious dividends.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Magi
Scripting is really, really easy. You just need to devote two months to learning Ruby then transitioning over to RGSS. You're not going to go make some dumb Yanfly suite afterward, but it still pays off in serious dividends.

You make it sound like that's a short amount of time. 'eff that.
Considering how much time most developers spend on their games, it actually is.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you know how to manage loops and variables and conditional branches and that kind of complex stuff with event commands, you can probably learn Ruby in under a week (maybe under a day). It's really all the same kind of stuff, you just have to copy and paste the words to do the thing you want from some other code that already does it, instead of choosing it from a list. If you've learned any other programming language, you can probably learn Ruby in about fifteen minutes.

It's not hard to figure out, it's just hard to motivate yourself to figure out when it's your hobby rather than your job or schoolwork. I do understand that mental factor.
Pages: first prev 1234 last