THE NEXT RPG MAKER

author=Sailerius
author=Liberty
I would like the ability to create a save during test playing, even if the game has saving disabled. This would help so much with testing - just the other day I got through a part and remembered I'd disabled saving in that area, but had ages to go back to the save point (and thus afterwards added another fucking save point because fuck me). Being able to call up a one-time save in testing would be great. Hell, more options during testing would be nice.
You could add that in with a single line of code.
Good for you, Mr Coder. I'd also like other options during testing like being able to change things like money, levels, characters, skills, equipment, etc on the fly. And yeah, you could add an event that does that for you that you can delete later but honestly, sometimes you forget.

Oh, and the old search feature for events/variables/switches would be nice. Also, some of the old functions that were included in RM95 - yes, I said 95. Things like in-built mouse support, non-map specific introduction event, automatic death eventing, moveable/resizable mapping window, tileset options available from the mapping window instead of database... just a few options.

Oh, and resolution scaling (not zoom) for not only maps but windows~
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Liberty
Good for you, Mr Coder.

What I'm saying is, those are trivial additions and I would be surprised if someone hasn't already made a script that does that for you.

http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/utility-scripts/debug-extension/ for example
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
I kinda agree with Sailerius. "Debug enhancing" scripts for new RM would probably quickly crop up. But I agree with Libby as well that having something more than default ctrl to become ghost and variable/switch editing by default would be good.

For example I always wanted easy ability to cheat in any item. I ended up making special NPC that'd give such item. But that is not how it is supposed to work. What if I forget to remove this NPC from release version? In game that has 100+ maps it is very likely something like this may happen. And even in game that has few very big (like 500x500) maps.
Just because you can do something by scripting doesn't mean that you can't have it default. We're talking a new engine so why not have all the tricks for playtesting at your fingertips, already there for you to mess with as you need? That's like saying 'oh but you can script in side-view battle system' which is true, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't want a default version. We're pointing out things we'd like to see in the new engine, not things that scripts can already do in the current one.

I'd also like a more comprehensive help file with better search capability. The one in Ace is a step above all the current ones so far, but it is missing quite a few little bits and some stuff that is in there isn't put as clearly as it could be.

Also, a return to how 2k/3 handled events. As it stands VX and Ace have trouble with having too many events on one map - even if they have no commands in them. 2k/3 dealt with that a lot better.

Oh, and how about expanding map layers by making them like pictures? That is, you have an ordered layer like pictures do - where #1 is lower than #99. Of course, 100 layers would be crazy, but up to ten should be more than enough.

And last, but not least, a return to NOT AFFECTING BOTTOM LAYER ITEMS WHEN COPY-CLICKING. 2k/3 had the separate layers on, hey, separate layers, meaning you could copy something from one layer and paste it on the map without worrying that the lower layer would be affected in any way.

And yes, I am aware that you can do this via script since I have to use a script to do it now, but how about a return to freakin' overlapping roof-tiles a la 2k/3 maps? You know the ones - topmost part is set to above hero while anything below that is set to non-passable. Hell, even have it change with passability settings like we do with the current ladder/brush/etc, so that the default can keep the cliff-top programming that currently goes on, but can be flagged as roof tile for actual roof tiles.

(For those who don't know, the way roof tiles are currently set up, the bottom is passable so that you can walk on top of the room from there. This is so that you can have walkable cliff tops - just add walls where you don't want to be able to access from and steps/ladder/rope to connect the floor with the roof and viola~ )
Rave
Also, a return to how 2k/3 handled events. As it stands VX and Ace have trouble with having too many events on one map - even if they have no commands in them. 2k/3 dealt with that a lot better.

That's because events are now interpreted by event interpreter written in Ruby, which is slow language (not as slow as say, Python, but still). If they'd change language used by RM's scripting system to say, Lua (preferably using LuaJIT), it would run much faster though scripters would have some adjusting to do (different syntax).

Anyway, the reason events are processed in 2k3 way faster than in XP and newer is because in 2k3 events are processed directly by machine code (event interpreter written in same language rest of RM2k3 was, Delphi that is) without intermediate layer of Ruby or another scripting language.

Unfortunately if they'd go back to how they handled events in 2k3, there would be no way, except for Game.exe patches to affect how event interpreter works. So no custom message systems that can take more than default 4 lines, etc.

Well, at least event speed in Ace isn't as bad as it was in XP. It still isn't as fast as in 2k3, but gets close. My friend even made event-based ABS in Ace.
what about a button you can press to get a picture of a dog, any dog, totally at random

I think that would be a neat + cool thing to have
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=mawk
what about a button you can press to get a picture of a dog, any dog, totally at random

A button that automatically plays Karma Chameleon, for you to listen while you work, would be much better.
Rave
author=mawk

I realize that was a joke, but more features in character editor that would make possible to make non-humanoid characters would be cool IMO.
when it comes to things that demand just that much variance in body type and structure (and therefore placement of features), I don't think any amount of premade resources would be satisfactory. an easy framework or instructions or whatever for showing people how to create their own template pieces and integrate them with the generator could go much further, potentially.

maybe something like that already exists? I never had much use for the generators in the first place, so I couldn't say.
Change of window size, maybe fullscreen capability.

Being able to put whatever size face sprite I want because sometimes I want the face to be longer than it is wide.
...But it already has fullscreen capability? o.O
The only real full screen mode is borderless full screen windowed mode with appropriate integer scaling mode and black padding space to ensure aspect ratio. Why this isn't a standard is beyond me (it's because of ignorance, complacency, and laziness) then somebody hacks it in through dll injection in two days ala Dark Souls.
that's a very good point -- other entry-level engines have been giving users control over resolution and screen mode for generations now. Ace (unless that patch Touch had been promising went through) is incapable of going beyond 640x480 -- the executable just has no idea how. that's ridiculously tiny unless you happen to be producing for phones or the 3DS, neither of which RPG Maker can actually do.

I understand people who are new to the scene wanting more prepackaged resources, and more variety therein -- but it's also important to consider maybe addressing RPG Maker's drawbacks at the higher end.
Rave
Well, in older engines it was possible to change window size via scripting, not so much in case of Ace. They just fucked it up. Wanted to say it nicer, but it's the only way I can express how I feel about that. They fucked it up.

Also VX autotile "format"... bleargh... Seriously? I'd be willing to accept limited tiles in VX/VX Ace if they'd leave XP's autotile format.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Liberty
...But it already has fullscreen capability? o.O
I think she meant having fullscreen that actually was fullscreen resolution wise instead of stretching everything out like a fat mans groaning asshole.

If they did release a new RPG maker, I'd like to see more respect for event collision checking and more input support. Like this company hasn't heard of a hitbox in their life have they?

Allow like, a simple way of checking an events collision without having to make 4 variabls and check them against each other, also why not have inbuilt hitnox support variant on tiles, like, an event page option (drop down I'd guess) that allows for 3x3 tiles for an event rather than 'oh man enjoy making 18 fucking variables for a single 3x3 square event check collision.

Also input support, like yeah cool I can use 8 keys of the fucking god knows how many on my keyboard.

Also ditch that absurd infatuation with the retarded 544x416 resolution and allow scaling up to full blown 2560x1080 HD.

Having a cap at 640x480 is the dumbest shit.

And keep in RGSS3 FFS so I don't have to wait for all the scripts I give a shit about to be converted onto your next engine.

I suppose the event and input is sort outside the scope of something called 'rpg maker' because Enterbrain clearly hasnt heard of an action rpg like spiral knights or vindictus or just about any fucking MMO ever.

Yes, WoW counts because placed aoes.

Oh, mouse support would be nice, too! sick of having to fuckin arrow key everywhere, dont tell me mouse systems dont work for rpgs.

i could be a douche and ask for more (multi-platform support, web integration so i can put it on kongregate or w/e) but I don't care enough about that stuff.

Also ffs do something about your compression, adding the RTP adds 100+ megabytes onto a game file now...

That's retarded. I'm sure there's a way you could check the RTP against itself in the game and keep only what is used when making the compressed.exe file.

I never use the trashy music you provide that tacks on 40+ mb to the game file, anyway.

The RTP music is virtually the worst music I've heard that isn't dubstep, I've played a lot of games so you're doing a good job with that silver medal there.

Don't bother upgrading the music though because I have my own composer now just stop including that unforgivable cacophony where it isn't needed.
Funny, I was just talking about something similar some minutes ago, I personally think that RPG maker needs a major overhaul because of XP, and onwards being almost the exact same thing...and the sprite-work is just terrible in my opinion:

I desperately want to see something like this as a battle system with sprite sizes like these!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You're not supposed to actually use the RTP graphics in RPG Maker any more than you're supposed to actually use the RTP music or the default heroes or the default spells. It's just there so that when you start making a game you will be able to create something playable and test it out immediately instead of having to spend a month on backend stuff first. So, I don't care how bad it is.

They don't actually need to make new stuff. They had the right idea in Ace. Leave all the same resources and focus on improving the engine.
author=Kaliesto
I desperately want to see something like this as a battle system with sprite sizes like these!

You can with RPG Maker, and with relatively little effort.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=LockeZ
You're not supposed to actually use the RTP graphics in RPG Maker any more than you're supposed to actually use the RTP music or the default heroes or the default spells. It's just there so that when you start making a game you will be able to create something playable and test it out immediately instead of having to spend a month on backend stuff first. So, I don't care how bad it is.

They don't actually need to make new stuff. They had the right idea in Ace. Leave all the same resources and focus on improving the engine.
I will support this post to it's entirety, though mainly because I just hate how the RTP looks.

Man, I want to add like accessories or perhaps even item sets that effect character abilities, but it's not easy to do with RPG Maker.

Like my Warpmage has a spell called "Time Warp" that gives the chosen ally an extra turn, costs 80 MP and is basically a really good skill, was thinking it would be cool if I could have a set that gives a bonus to it, like makes it a free action, but costs double the mana.

But then I remember I can't because RPG Maker hates fun.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Higher native resolution
Wide screen resolution option
fully integrated mouse support with GUI/mechanics included
pixel movement