ANYONE WANT TO WRITE A STORY EVERY DAY FOR A YEAR?

Pages: first 12 next last
A friend and I have decided to do this and looking for writing pals. The only rule is that you must write a story from start to finish every day, although you can take days off if you want to (but decide what your break schedule will be like before you start to avoid the temptation to slack). I suggest limiting it to <1000 words and no more than an hour to prevent it from being too difficult. We'll be getting prompts from somewhere to help. A firm start date hasn't been set yet, but we'd like to do it hopefully no later than December 1.

You may be wondering: why write a complete story every day? The main reason is that the hardest part of making something is finishing it, so finishing something every day is good practice. Another reason is that it gives you good practice with pacing and story structure and writing endings and stuff. Finally, it helps you churn through lots of ideas without getting married to any of them.

So how about it? Anyone interested?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I would try, but I'm just not sure I'd be able to commit. It sounds like a fantastic idea, though.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I wish... Would give me a lot to work from for games with all that material but then again even with 3 ideas I have right now I think I'm booked from my personal projects.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
This is the sort of thing I'd be totally down for, but my schedule is so erratic right now that there's no way I could squeeze it in there... Good luck! This is definitely a really great way to practice and just learn a ton!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
When I first read about this, I thought of the NPC in Wild Arms 3 who changes dialog based on what day it is (ie: it reads the system clock).
If I had the time, I'd totally do it.

I love writing. I love making stories and characters and dialogue and I've made quite a few short stories myself.

But I don't have the time to do this kind of thing, and if I have free time to do it, I'm more likely to prefer to spend it working on an RPGmaker game. :s

Good luck to anyone who wants in on this!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
This sounds super helpful and fun! I've got final exams to study for, though, so I wouldn't be able to start until December 15th. And even then, my schedule can and will be spotty over the next year between schoolwork and a game I'm already head-deep in. I can try to squeeze in an hour each night, but I'm really not sure if I can keep it up for an entire year.

That's probably too much baggage for you, but if it's fine with you, then sign me up!

If not, then I'll just do a mini version of this just for myself. Maybe for about four or five months. This is a great idea regardless.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I write a story everyday just by being me.

I narrate my life, lmao.

On the note of this, a whole year?

If there's anything I'm bad at it's regularity. I'm more likely to just end up doing this be nature's decree rather than setting it as an obligation.

But I will consider this, if just because I'd love to all be in a writing club or whatever, I've always been very on my own for writing, so it'd be neat to do something like this. I'll give my answer by the 29th of this month.
Red_Nova, we'd be totally happy to have you even if you have to start late. Ditto for all the other people who are on the fence.

As for everyone else, we're also very booked with personal projects, but I think it's valuable to take the time to hone your skills. I believe in your ability to work it in somewhere! But if you don't want to, that's fine too.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Depends, how much are you going to pay me? ; )
BizarreMonkey
author=Max McGee
Depends, how much are you going to pay me? ; )
Ahahahahahahaha.

Why aren't you and I skype buds yet we'd probably get along famously.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
This could be a fun project, but I'd only be willing to commit time to writing a story idea and plot outline with acts and a character arc.
I'll try this for January and see how it goes.
This is cool and probably something that could help me improve on my English and writing in general. We should have a topic for this too where we post all of our stories so that others can read them etc.

I might do this in the future, but unfortunately it won't be writing in text, but music composition. I might try to write a little story a week though. :)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Perihelion
Red_Nova, we'd be totally happy to have you even if you have to start late. Ditto for all the other people who are on the fence.

As for everyone else, we're also very booked with personal projects, but I think it's valuable to take the time to hone your skills. I believe in your ability to work it in somewhere! But if you don't want to, that's fine too.

Alright, sounds good. I'm in! Where do we go from here?
I'm a writer, so technically that's my job^^
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Alright, count me in please!
BizarreMonkey
author=BizarreMonkey
I'll give my answer by the 29th of this month.
I've decided. I know it's a little early. But I've had a lot of time to think recently.

I'm in. Let's dooo eeeeet!

How will we orchestrate it? Will we have a thread that we submit our daily stories to, or submit them to a google docs archive?

These are important questions!

Here's a start anyway: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SHmXcolJC2mcJh3cTSoriuAsUrGggj6pXKZEfiGQtAU/edit?usp=sharing
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I'll think about it.
Pages: first 12 next last