HOW TO CHANGE THE FONT TO AN 8 BIT OR 16 BIT FONT

Pages: 1
Coonie
We do not allow ban evading.
In rpg maker vx ace I want a custom nes or snes style font. I've tried a lot of them but none of them work so would someone please help me?
When you say "None of them work"... do you mean:
1) You can't find any good ones online to download that look like NES or SNES fonts?
2) You found some, but can't get them loaded so they show up in your game?
3) You found one, got it loaded, but it looks weird?
Coonie
author=djbeardo
When you say "None of them work"... do you mean:
1) You can't find any good ones online to download that look like NES or SNES fonts?
2) You found some, but can't get them loaded so they show up in your game?
3) You found one, got it loaded, but it looks weird?

Ah, then this is the direction you need:

click!

Coonie
author=djbeardo
Ah, then this is the direction you need:

click!

It works but only some fonts...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What happens with the others? They don't appear at all, or they just don't look 16-bit? What fonts don't work?

The size you choose is extremely important, most 8-bit and 16-bit fonts only look right at a very specific size.

In RPG Maker it has to be exactly the right size, too. If the font is designed to look right at 12 point and you are using it at 24 point, you might hope that RPG Maker would use 2x2 blocks of pixels in place of the original pixels to make it bigger, but it won't. It'll anti-alias it because it can't read your mind and realize that's what you want.

Also, when distributing your game, make sure you include the font by creating a Fonts folder in your game directory and putting the font in there.
Let's back up:
What font do you want to use? Post a link or give a name so we can all take a look.
Coonie
author=djbeardo
Let's back up:
What font do you want to use? Post a link or give a name so we can all take a look.
http://www.dafont.com/8bit-wonder.font
Coonie
author=djbeardo
Let's back up:
or http://www.1001freefonts.com/8_bit_operator.font
@Coonie: I now understand your frustration. I didn't imagine that it would be this challenging. I changed the font in the game I'm currently working on and it worked easily. So I didn't understand how you could be having a problem.

But dangit! These 8-bit fonts just DON'T WORK! They all come in looking very Arialy/Calibrish.

I'm sorry, dude. But I don't know what's going on and I hope other people can help. I made a test game for people to play with: Clickity click!

In the .zip is a test game and three 8-bit fonts to play with.
As Coonie said, they just don't work. And by that, I mean that it's clear that they import, and the font size changes seem to make a difference, and the font does indeed change from the default, but it imports as a very plain sans serif font that looks neither 8-bit nor 16-bit.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
This is usually because of the font name. It's happened to me a few times too. Try different names for it. For example instead of 8 Bit Operator try 8 Bit Operator Regular or something like that. Might want to look around the font for it's name and stuff. The file name is sometimes different from the name in the file(did that make sense?)
ESBY
extreme disappointment
With pixel fonts you'll need to use a Bitmap Script as Ace's font rendering is horrid.

There's a couple different scripts available (that use different bitmap formats, such as sfonts) but the easiest and most accessible way I've found is to use Galenmereth's script with Littera's generator. I don't have the link on hand but I'm sure it's still available on his github.

Frogge! You got it!

Yes, it seems that the script requires the name of the font as it shows up in MS Word, not the filename.

So, instead of "Gamegirl" it needs to be "Gamegirl Classic" and one of the 8bit ones needs to be "8BIT Wonder".

ESBY: That seems like a good strategy too.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Glad I could help.
Pages: 1