DEGICA IS PUBLISHING A VN ENGINE

Pages: first 12 next last
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
Degica is making Visual Novel Maker

I don't know if this can compete with Ren'Py, which is free, and not that hard to use. They are adding default material that you can use in the engine. This seems to be the hugest selling point currently.

(Tyrano Builder is an easier to use engine than Ren'Py, but doesn't include
resources, so at least this has a leg up on that.)

No release date or price has been set. I can't see it being that much more than Tyrano Builder which goes for $14.99 USD, even with added material.

Visual Novel Maker
http://store.steampowered.com/app/495480/

Tyrano Builder
http://store.steampowered.com/app/345370/

Ren'Py
https://www.renpy.org/
Yeah, we're currently designing the VN engine.

As someone who used Tyranobuilder...I can name so many things that makes it not 'easy to use.' For example, on its release, you had to script variables and for some odd reason is not part of the main package until updates later. There's also issues with its Live2D Implementation. Every Tyrano game has the same UI/look because of how limited the editor is for non-programmers. I would honestly say all my gripes on that engine and how salty I am for buying it, but I digress.

When we conceived VN Maker, I wanted to make Visual Novels like Muv Luv, another game I refuse to mention here or Witch on the Holy Night. Video Example:

I wish anyone who uses Tyrano good luck trying to do that haha.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Yup, I've been looking forward to VN Maker for ages, I can't wait! :D
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
They should call it the V eNgine :V
I think there are few enough of these on the market that there's definitely room. Ren'py would seem like the 'one to beat', probably, but that's largely due to its ubiquity and the size of its support network -- and the important thing here probably isn't to try and win over current users of other engines, so much as to bring new people into VN development.
unity
You're magical to me.
Ren'py is very nice (and free!), but I personally find it very clunky if you're trying to do anything more complex than the most basic VN. I spent about a month with the software, and found it completely serviceable but limiting. For that reason, I'm very much looking forward to VN Maker ^_^
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Ren'py's other problem is that (due to being Python-based) it has serious performance issues. I was making a game with it a year or so ago and ended up having to ditch it because at 1080p, the game was becoming a slideshow even on my fairly powerful desktop.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Even experienced, successful creators of visual novels seem to mostly put out games where the most complicated thing you ever see in the game is a single still image displayed unchangingly behind 50 text boxes in a row. If Degica is trying to make an engine that can let amateurs outdo them without any programming knowledge, I'm extremely impressed.

As a result of the dogpoo standard for visual novels, I mostly think of them as books with a drawing at the beginning of each chapter. The video Nessiah linked is more like a comic book where every panel is fully animated. I've never actually seen that done before in a VN. I especially love all the one-time animations that then seamlessly resolve into looping animations, which I can imagine being a really powerful tool. If more VNs ended up like that, I think people would stop being dismissive of the medium.
I'm not sure I would ever use something like this, but it looks really interesting! I'll certainly think about telling my friends in the IF Community about it.

One question: it looks like most of the resources are for a high school setting. Is that all of them? I don't mind high school stories, but the topic doesn't really interest me.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I assume that by "resources" they just mean scripts, fonts, menu graphics, and menu sound effects. Nobody would ever make a visual novel without creating their own artwork for each scene. Creating the artwork is the only thing that makes it different from a book.
I'm certain that if they did something similar to VX Ace's character creator but on a bigger scale, there'd be tons of games that used those, though.
LockeZ
...My gut instinct is that that's a feature that should definitely NOT exist, and that creating it would singlehandedly bring about the end of the visual novel genre.
Well, Degicas concern is probably selling, not the quality of the games being made. I think the chance of something like that is pretty high, actually, since it would definitely help sell the product to lazy idea-guys.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Yeah, we're currently designing the VN engine.

As someone who used Tyranobuilder...I can name so many things that makes it not 'easy to use.' For example, on its release, you had to script variables and for some odd reason is not part of the main package until updates later. There's also issues with its Live2D Implementation. Every Tyrano game has the same UI/look because of how limited the editor is for non-programmers. I would honestly say all my gripes on that engine and how salty I am for buying it, but I digress.

When we conceived VN Maker, I wanted to make Visual Novels like Muv Luv, another game I refuse to mention here or Witch on the Holy Night. Video Example:

I wish anyone who uses Tyrano good luck trying to do that haha.

So, it will be possible to create animated scenes in this new VN Maker?
SunflowerGames

As a non-artist the inclusion of graphics is big selling point to me. I'm okay with the programming aspects of Ren'Py (making a kinetic or simple choice based narrative is easy enough.) But to have a collection of assets is nice too. (I mean there are people who release decentish games using the RTP from RPG Maker vs. people who make games from custom graphics.)

The biggest issue will be the selling price. Competing with a free to use engine might be difficult inmo.

@Archeia = I haven't personally used Tyranno Builder, just did some research. It seems it's easier to set up scenes in where you just want to show graphics, etc... as apposed to having to write the script in Ren'Py. Though most people admit that Ren'Py has more ability due to the python scripting.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
using StAR assets in a completely story-driven product sounds a lot worse in terms of associating something with that character, though... like that era where very vx game had the brown-haired guy with googles as its MC (aka the Legionwood era, although calling it the Tankentai era might be more correct). that wasn't even a default asset XD
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Archeia_Nessiah

Did she just blow up the moon?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Craze
using StAR assets in a completely story-driven product sounds a lot worse in terms of associating something with that character, though... like that era where very vx game had the brown-haired guy with googles as its MC (aka the Legionwood era, although calling it the Tankentai era might be more correct). that wasn't even a default asset XD

Googling does not help me, so what is a "STaR asset"?
SunflowerGames

@Sooz = from the Steam page

BEAUTIFUL FREE TO USE ASSETS: Visual Novel Maker contains beautifully crafted resources named Standard Asset Resources (StARs) to help you start with your game. This includes characters, backgrounds, music and sound effects free to use when you buy the program!
Couldn't you just make visual novels with rpg maker as it is? Of course super animated ones as shown above are not possible, but the basic ones?
Pages: first 12 next last