OLD/LOST RPGMAKER GAMES - SEGNIN'S RARE/OBSCURE RM GAMES REQUEST TOPIC

author=Gari
author=LordBlueRouge
We have a small problem with uh:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3v8mfasp6s83rh8/Destiny_Saga_VX_GOTY_edition-_RTP_included.rar

Whenever I try to load it, the extraction fails. Would anyone have a working copy?
I've no problem with the version I have, which should also come from here. Maybe it was a wrong download (try again)?

Yeah, i'll check this again, it might be a filepath issue on my end.

I ran into an interesting game today from the masterlist that I need more info on. It's called Empathie Demo Day 3. It's an rpgmaker2003 game released in 2006 - was this part of an rpgmaker event jam of some sort? let me know. If it's a collab game I'd like to include it.

Unfortunately, due to health reasons, I can't play it - it's uh too scary for me lol. I mean I can play stuff like silent hill and resident evil no problem, but I'm at a point in my life where I can't seem to handle jump scares anymore.

I might be wrong, it might be incredibly tame once you get past the loud music from the intro screen, but yeah any info on this game would be greatly appreciated, especially if it was part of jam from 2006.

download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1wd3uy95zxr4ak6/Empathie_Demo_Day_III(EmpathieDDIII).rar

again, i apologize for not adding the most recent requests yet to the main thread.
It's just a hassle to edit the bbcode at the moment. But I promise, like everything else it will get done.
I need some feedback.

Someone who has old rpgmaker2000 RTP already installed might be able to help with this.

I need some help figuring out the difference between two versions of the same games:
The game is called
Evania The Secret of Reza by Rubicant

Tau uploaded a copy back in 2012:
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/4667/?post=381704#post381704 (we have it)

And King Arthur also uploaded a copy
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/22883/?post=832122#post832122 (we also have it)

It's an rpgmaker2000 game.
Tau's doesn't have RTP
while King Arthur's has RTP.

What's bugging me however is the date for Map56:
Tau's copy is supposedly older but it's dated July 23rd 2002
King Arthur's copy is younger but it's dated July 22nd 2002

Are there any noticable immediate difference between these two versions of Evania, when you play it?
Other than adding RTP to King Arthur's making the file size bigger, is this the same copy of Evania?
If no one says anything I'll probably just go with King Arthur's copy since it already has the RTP included.

...Also, Tau mentions a remake, I'm assuming it's the one WCouillard made that he eventually removed from RMN http://web.archive.org/web/20131128045536/https://rpgmaker.net/users/WCouillard/games/

But yeah, just trying to figure out what's going on here:
Here are the two links to the games:
https://mega.nz/file/sLR0HDII#abGfMZ8Sdms3PxWqiVSvhRrJJs25aovyjSr-dq2dPFY (Tau's copy)
https://mega.nz/file/AKYgQDbL#GVPqA2U1xF8dy6TdXZ8g1WPR7p1yKe-WnkwceRd7OGU (King Arthur's copy)

I know it's a minor thing, but any help is appreciated here.
They would appear to be identical. I gave the maps in question a once-over in RM and couldn't spot anything.

Might be something odd going on with the file modified times -- map 56, along with almost all the others, appears to have a modified time exactly 12 hours off from one version to the other. So, probably just some file system weirdness happening after nearly two decades in storage.
thanks psy. yeah I guess I'll go with Arthur's then.

small announcement, just to reiterate for reference.
other places use different file formats. We use .rar's here to protect file contents.
A few games on the masterlist using zip files were already taken down for using movie soundtracks, like "The Sword and The Fish" - this is why using .rars are important.

Also, stuff like "Final Fantasy" and "FF" were taken down. But "Final Fallacy" a parody game was okay

So, going forward we are also going to rename a couple of games for preservation sake.
To clarify I'm not going to rename the game themselves, they'll still be found on the masterlist.
we are just going to rename the labels on the rars a bit so they can remain online.

When creating Final Fantasy Dog the first thing I did was download a whole bunch of final fantasy fan games in rpgmaker.
Just to see if anyone had done what I had planned to do before, and see how far they got with it.
Having this resource available was invaluable to me to study from, so I'm going to do everything I can to preserve this history
so others can learn from it as well.
Hello everyone and does anyone have a copy of this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIIBRxzEIg because I don't know why his page has been taken down for unknown reasons and Illy hasn't explained it. So please let me know.
Stange, since Illy is kind of an active member?
Here is the link anyway: https://rpgmaker.net/content/games/11018/downloads/ACFE_V11.zip
Ah yes, that one. Well, it was a group event game, and I teamed up with Corfaisus to make it. Somewhere in trading hands with the game, some teleport events got botched and some monster graphics went missing too, so when Libby playtested it on stream these errors surfaced. Corf took it pretty hard and took the game down, seeing as he was the lead. I could clean it up, fix the errors and resubmit it as a gamepage I suppose, but that would have to come with Corfaisus' permission.
Nobody asked for this, but I found and tried to upload the game Savior Knight Mage's Quest.
The original installer has malware so I installed the game and repacked it and hopefully it has no malware anymore.
Please check and approve or something?
https://rpgmaker.net/users/Wearemadeinchina/locker/saviorknight.zip
author=himyname
I'd like to request a RPG Maker 2000 game. I don't remember the title but I remember the story. It was different from the typical RPG in that you start out as a priest character and a mage character. Both are brother and sister. They're also black characters which is rare to be the main characters. They go to some kind of magic school ran by their father and mother. They go on adventures and end up being transported into another dimension in a forest and lose their memories. They also grow up in the other dimension. There was also a warrior character later on named Angelo and a female character named Pepper but that's about it for what I know. It has nice humor and some serious themes in it.

The game is called Forgotten Majesty created by Kindredz.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/745cuftv0c2jlib/forgottenmajesty.rar
Okay, this is going to be a very, very long shot if not impossible but here it goes.
I'm looking for a game that I forgot the title, I remember parts of the story pretty well and everything, here's what I remember;
-Made around 2010-2014?
-It was only on deviantART at the time, no where else. Tried searching there but the search is absolutely useless and only pulled fanart :L
-It was an adventure game being developed, and the developer was updating it just as they thought up stuff to throw in
-The main protag was a gothish/emoish girl with short black hair. she was often sarcastic with lots of cursing. she had black and white striped arm warmers and i think shorts
-crude humor
-art style kinda like panty and stocking
-it was not at the time listed anywhere else but the dev's deviantart journal. they also were not the artist and it was another user doing the art.
-game starts off with the protag falling, hinting that this is a dream and they fall into an entirely different world from their own
-had some darker themes like mental illness, depression, self harm, etc, but it wasn't overbearing
-around chapter 5th or 6th, the protag is back in highschool and comments how weird that is because she has already graduated and you pretty much run around solving a couple of characters problems at the time to progress the story
-i vaguely remember something about a hospital being one of the chapters, but not horror type. there was a bad guy and stuff, but can't remember them too well. the end of the hospital had a chase i think.
-protag had a pretty rough homelife and wasnt on good terms with her father, and there was hints of alcoholism
-title had the protag's name at the start, so it was something like ''character crazy adventure'' or ''character bizarre dream'', something of that sort.
Super low chance anyone has this, but might as well ask.
I'm looking for a game called "Orb of Seraphim", or some variation of that. I seem to recall Seraphim being misspelled, like "Serafim" or something? It's an RMXP game that was posted on one of those dead late 2000's forums, maybe RPG RPG Revolution or something similar.
okay, uh, I'm almost finished updating the masterlist (finally) but I need some help sorting out some duplicates. I'm posting this here in the archive thread as well. anyone with rm2000 rtp installed might be able to help out with this first one:

I have two copies of the sword and the fish by scumdrop from 2006:

1)one has harmony.dll installed and an edit rpg_rt featuring the authors name and a rm2k font installer (I think):
The Sword and The Fish (Scumdrop)(RM2k)(2006).rar

2) The second one is also from 2006 but without harmony.dll and a default rpg_rt but has a slightly bigger file size and has a save file:
The Sword and The Fish (Scumdrop)(RM2k)(2006)(bigger).rar

If there's some variation between the two games, for instances, map edits on later dates between months or days, I usually keep them for situations like Tau or somone whose looking for a particular version of said game. But these two copies of SATF look like the same game, they even have the same dates, if anyone can find the difference between these two version or have a suggestion on which version we should upload let me know - In the mean time I'll see if I can go back and figure out where I downloaded which version from where.

The next game I need to sort out is Revenrence by Orig:

Revenrence (Orig)(RM2k3)(2006)(Contest Entry).rar

it says here it was part of a Contest entry?; I'm hoping TGA or anyone familiar with the history of this game might have more info about it. So I can group it together with the other community/event games on the masterlist.

Another game I'd like to get more info on is the RMN Map event that Neophyte's Decayed Forest was apart of, so I can group those games together:

Neophyte's Map Entry (Neophyte)(RM2k3)(2007).rar

I'll ask a couple of other questions on the discord but I think that's pretty much it.
I'll try to finalize what I have over the next few days.
I'll also add the most recent requests to the most wanted list; thanks everyone for you patience.
Neophyte's Map Entry
I couldn't find the image you gave for the "Decayed Forest" to match at all the actual map you provided for download. Did you upload the right map? (The map you uploaded uses a different chipset than the image and lacks that large crashed ship.)

If you did upload the right map, I have some insight. This was part of a map contest, the 2nd (by my count) at Gaming World. It March 2007 (based upon the date modified dates of the zips, probably March 3, 2007 to be precise). I am not sure if I downloaded all of the map entries of the time (like a fool, because they were all really good), but I have entries from the following individuals:
Alex Of Cawdor
Blindman
Cyruss
Gondu
JPC
King of Games
Neophyte (the map you linked above)
RockmanNeo

There were a number of contests around that time, including two themed map contests in 2007 (Forest and Cave) and one in 2005 (Town). The largest contest, or at least the one from which I saved the most maps, was the 2nd with Neophyte.

Reverence
This has all the strappings of an apparent contest entry. But I don't know where it would fall. It feels like a map entry, but I don't have it from 2005 and it would be weird for there have to been two town based mapping contests back to back (2005, 2006). Here is the list of all the contests I could find in my old files:

2005 Mar - Code-off #1
2005 Mar? - DBS Contest #1 (origination of Wilfred the Hero)
2005 Mar - Mapping Contest #1
2005 Dec - DBS Contest #2
2005 Dec - Short Story Contest (I saved zero entries from this)
2005 Dec - Code-off #2 (origination of Balmung Chronicle, I believe)

2006 May - Short RPG Contest (origination of The Burning Grail)
2006 Jun - Horror Game Contest (origination of Backstage)
2006 Jun - CBS Contest #1
2006 Jul - Code-off #3 (origination of Migai Shinoyu)

2007 Mar - Code-off #4
2007 Mar - Mapping Contest #2
2007 Jul - CBS Contest #2
2007 Sep - GW Tournament #1
2007 Nov - Mapping Contest #3

2008 Feb - GW Tournament #2
2008 Apr - $450 Contest
2008 Oct - Nackster Month Contest #1
2008 Dec - Nackster Month Contest #2

2011 Nov - Boss Battle

I am sure there were more, but those are the ones for which I have a record.

dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you a site I built to start archiving and discussing some of these obscure games: rm2k.net

This mostly spawned from a desire to learn a more modern web stack and archive CDs I found loaded with old 2k games. It's pretty early along (just a couple my old projects mostly lol) but everything is open-source and I'm curious if anyone is interested in helping contribute content.

Let me know your sentiments. If you have any ideas for the project I'm happy to listen as well.
@dhm: I would talk to ryg about this (I informed him of your project, he might pm you), he was going to revamp rmarchiv wanted some help and I typed up a bunch of suggestions. I was actually also going to look into a project like this to learn webdev but I haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to summarize what I remember to contribute what I think:

The main thing I think for a broad use case, is for people who have a hard time remembering a game and just be able to quickly narrow down what it had in it. The practical benefits for that will probably spill into other cases. The ideal utopia app would be the akinator for RM games, but that might be a high bar.

Itch io I think has the most robust tag system around, where users who upload stuff can make up their own tags for just about anything and can be combined on the fly. Though it's on contributors to have good tagging conventions themselves. Things like date created, rpgmaker versions, demo/full/, RTP required, or even patch versions (games can have multiple demos or revamps), contest entry etc. Are the things every game should have. More descriptive ones like types of rips, whether or not it has a CBS, mini game types, more lesser ones that might help with identification (which is why I got thorough sometimes with RM historia). Though even more extreme would be like... the hair color of the protagonist, or which RTP sprites were in it.

Additionally I guess the more screenshots the better, which you seem to have going. I wonder about title screens being front and center though, I think people remember title screens less than gameplay but it does have a consistency to it. ryg also did a cool thing with the EasyRPG Player where you could play any game from the browser, though the problem is with EasyRPG itself, it's still not fully compatible or reverse engineered enough to make it practical, but idk where the progress is on that now. When starting RM Historia I wanted to have a decent amount of footage of the game I was talking about so there was at least some trace of it, I assume because well, youtube will likely outlive RMN and this site or even wordpress. Who even knows.

A pie in the sky idea that'd be worth looking into somehow scanning the games themselves which ryg mentioned, imagine being able to ctrl f through the dialogue of an entire game straight from the site, or automatically find certain resources and cross check them. Might make it easy for people to go "i think the game had this sprite character, oh ok these 10 other games used the same sheet"

Another thing to consider is upkeep, what if whoever is managing the site runs out of money for whatever reason or gets demotivated. It would probably help to setup a patreon where everyone interested can just pitch in and even out the funds so not one person is bearing the brunt of the financials. It might not just be randos pitching 5 dollars each though, the patreon can be a means of keeping track of whether or not the site is meeting its target (or ahead of) rather than just a paypal button with no indicator. The site should be automated enough so that games can just sit there like a library storage without needing too much maintenance. (There will always be maintenance, but the site should survive in the worst case scenarios)

How public can the contributions be? If we leave it open for anyone to upload or if we just have a group of trusted people in charge. In this topic's history it has always been at least one person (me and LBR) who would update the main topic. It is extremely hard to maintain a bbcode post and if you look at it now, I think it's at a limit, like making a CBS in rm2k3 limit heyooooooo. I think maintaining and uploading needs to be extremely communal, the question is, how wide can that be. Some people might prefer going through bins and finding old downloads in broken web archived urls, some might just have a pile of dvds and harddrives of rm games and just wants to know where they can dump their stuff (or cross reference what's there and what's not there), others might prefer just cataloging the tags or updating/correcting information. This should also take into account of the varying stages of life/activeness everyone is at.

There's also some ethical cases, like if the creator even wants their game archived and the consent issue that causes. For the most part I'd say if the game was uploaded or remained this long at some point the author wanted it out there. But what if we get contacted and someone requests to take it down and proves they're the creator. In the history of these topics it has come up only about once or twice, I remember it was rumored someone was ashamed of their previous projects but uh, they turned out to be ok with it when actually contacted. However people can change their mind in 10 or so years. Another case however is when I asked if I could preserve the rm2k3 versions Arafell, turns out Badluck didn't want that out there since there's a commercial/improved version of it. Which makes sense. There are some potential half measures like maybe not preserving the game but at least the screenshots or the fact that it existed with the creator's consent. The policy I think is just: if it's out there, it's public. if someone has a problem with it, it's private.

That's all I have on the mind for now and just general concerns.

Just want to thank LBR for maintaining the topic so well, it's gotten a huge makeover and I didn't think I'd still be here to this day being a part of this.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Thanks, I created a feature ideas board on the repository and noted these. They're on my github if anyone's interested. (I'll document the repositories in the next week or so.)

Speaking of features, I do think request bounties would be really neat. I'd throw down cash if JKB released Mystic Lands, for example. (Maybe I should try to get in touch...) I have no idea how to bring finances into a project like this though, haha.

RE: Screenshots. There's no hard rule they need to be the title screen, those are just the quickest to get. You bring a good point about title screens not being as memorable though. Game pages have one thumbnail, a banner, and then however many additional screenshots to display on the carousel.

There are three roles: Users, Contributors, and Admins. Users get access to favoriting, commenting, and downloading games. Contributors can do that plus add games/screenshots. They can only edit the games they've added. Lastly, Admins are responsible for marking users as Contributors and can create/edit/delete whatever.

I agree with your stance on downloads. I think that's a good thing to note in the terms. If anyone doesn't want their game listed they can contact a contributor to have it removed.
I am 100% for this. I'll probably chime in more when I'm not so busy (or starstruck lol). But yeah, I'd definitely like to be apart of this. my main thing, is just adding to what darken mentioned about tags.

If there was a way we could sort games, Alphabetically, by Author, by Engine, by Year of Release or by Community - but a way that it's automated so it wouldn't require so much work, I'm 100% for that. - like even just entering this info when submitting the game to the site, would make this so much easier; or even just going back and editing said entry and adding a 2013 year tag so, it no longer comes up/or shows up at the the very end, when you do a search for 2007 games would be really really cool.

A lot of people are mentioning the visual novel database as what to aim for. But I also really like what the snes guide is doing with their database. Because on their site, you can actually go back to something like 1996 and see what SNES games came out, alongside the playstation. I think the year stuff is especially important with rpgmaker games. Because it gets very hard to see the distinction between a game like Kindred Saga, a rm2k game made with a side-battle-view system and the later 2007 gamingw stuff like phantom legacy, paradise blue, beloved rapture where rpgmaker2003 was finally getting into full swing.

But yeah, I'm rambling here. I'll uh, chime in on this more once I wrap up on adding stuff.

I love it DHM, great work!

author=dragonheartman
Speaking of features, I do think request bounties would be really neat. I'd throw down cash if JKB released Mystic Lands, for example. (Maybe I should try to get in touch...) I have no idea how to bring finances into a project like this though, haha.

XDD this would be really coooll!! I know the dude is working on a really slick megaman x fan game, corruption I think? But yeah, it'd be cool to get our hands on mystic lands. We probably just need someone brave enough to reach out to JKB on facebook.
I'll reach to out JKB in a sec on Discord (note - my last message isn't appearing here; is it a RMN bug)?

Conclusion - this didn't end well on the discord, I'm not going to bother anymore on it. Idk what the story is with Mystic Lands, but apparently pinging him was a bad idea because of a rule in place that no one can ping except dev and moderators.

author=Kaliesto
I'll reach to out JKB in a sec on Discord (note - my last message isn't appearing here; is it a RMN bug)?

Conclusion - this didn't end well on the discord, I'm not going to bother anymore on it. Idk what the story is with Mystic Lands, but apparently pinging him was a bad idea because of a rule in place that no one can ping except dev and moderators.

yeah yeah, no worries, no worries, it happens. ❤.
this is part of the challenge of finding some of these old games.
author=Westbrook
author=himyname
I'd like to request a RPG Maker 2000 game. I don't remember the title but I remember the story. It was different from the typical RPG in that you start out as a priest character and a mage character. Both are brother and sister. They're also black characters which is rare to be the main characters. They go to some kind of magic school ran by their father and mother. They go on adventures and end up being transported into another dimension in a forest and lose their memories. They also grow up in the other dimension. There was also a warrior character later on named Angelo and a female character named Pepper but that's about it for what I know. It has nice humor and some serious themes in it.
The game is called Forgotten Majesty created by Kindredz.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/745cuftv0c2jlib/forgottenmajesty.rar

Thanks for helping out with this westbrook!❤