[PAID] [RPGMV] EDUCATION FANTASY GAME

Pages: 1
Hi all,
So I am looking for someone to develop for me a fantasy game which will match the following requirements:

1. A fantasy story of your choice. Ensure that game player is the hero which will become overly powerful - I like books such as Magician or Wheel of Time etc. Art work, scripting, etc - and full creative license!

2. The game player will be students. They will play the game, but at certain trigger points will be re-directed to a website (hopefully embedded) where they have to watch educational tutorials. Once complete, teacher will give them a code so they can carry on with the game - simple enough.

3. The battle needs to be Action based. As close to https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/action-rpg-starter-kit-9076 as possible in terms of style.

4. During battles - random multiple choice questions (based on topics covered so far - point 2) will appear - perhaps using health as a trigger. If game player gets it correct - they can earn more magic points..If they get it wrong - consequence for the game player.

5. Collect in a variable the amount of correct questions game player has answered thus far = easy enough.

My role will be providing the content for the tutorials for number 2.

Willing to pay to use an already made project of yours - similar to Unity Market Place - if that is an easier option? Then get you to customize it!

Budget - 300-1500..
So this is basically the epitome of "Make my game for me".

...why don't you make it? No-one here will know what the hell kind of questions to ask or what, exactly, needs teaching. Like, seriously, this is beyond dumb.
Yes, make my game for me.. Why is that dumb? I am willing to pay someone to make a game which I do not have time to do - due to the fact that I am literally planning lessons and marking work (even during the Christmas break) non-stop.

If someone has the time, and is willing to get paid, what is the issue?

In regards to your comment about "hell kind of questions to ask or what, exactly, needs teaching." - I have already stated that I will provide the content...

Yet again - not too sure why this is beyond dumb. I appreciate constructive criticism, but not verbal abuse.

Thanks,
I think it's a noble idea that you want to do this. Gamification in education is very interesting.

But yeah, it does sound like you want someone to do it all for you. And to be honest, most of this doesn't sound all that complicated and is likely doable in default MV with minimal scripting in a few days. I'd just buckle down and try making it yourself first before looking for help (and spending all that money).
author=SgtMettool
I think it's a noble idea that you want to do this. Gamification in education is very interesting.

But yeah, it does sound like you want someone to do it all for you. And to be honest, most of this doesn't sound all that complicated and is likely doable in default MV with minimal scripting in a few days. I'd just buckle down and try making it yourself first before looking for help (and spending all that money).

Thanks.

As I have stated, I do not have the time to put this all together. I appreciate the advice but I am sticking to my original intention which is to hire someone. Therefore please can people, from this point forth, comment if they are interested.

Thanks,
Well, I'm also someone who has used RPG Maker in education (I'm a librarian who has run workshops for teens, and I'm not willing to provide any details of my work beyond that) and I really think putting a call out there to random strangers on the internet is probably not a good idea for this kind of thing, especially if it deals with an institution and there is student information that could potentially be compromised.

You may really want to consider doing it on your own, not just because of that but because you can curate the game to your lesson plans more fluidly. It just doesn't seem terribly professional to me to ask someone to borrow their games, especially if you have no idea if they'll follow through or time, or make it exactly how you want.
Yet again, I appreciate your concern - so thank you.

I am fully aware of confidentiality etc. There is no confidential information to be stored - not even the school name or student names (so this is all good)..

Yet again, I genuinely am confident in my approach, the plan I have, and I am willing to take the risks (this is not my first barbecue)..

Many thanks,
The issue I have is that none of us know what you're wanting to teach - you can't expect someone to just take some information and slot it into a game without actually knowing what parts of that information are more important to impart or how you want it taught.

Hell, another issue would be someone doing all that work only for it not to be what you wanted at all and you having to pay for something that isn't going to be of use to you. Consider that people place different values on different types of information. Example: Teaching about whales and you want to focus on their relation to their habitat and how they affect it but the developer you're paying makes it more focussed on what kinds of habitat they live in and how humans have had a hand in changing it. Technically it's still about their habitat but it doesn't convey the actual information you wanted to be shared.

There's also the issue with people just not being as good at teaching a subject they're not very familiar with as well as someone who does know all the ins and outs - I mean, I could give a pretty good essay about how to build a computer but it's not going to be as detailed or useful as one written by someone who has had a ton more experience on the subject as me.

AND not everyone is good at teaching. If someone does the job but it's not effective as a teaching tool as you wanted it to be because they're not good at teaching or effectively putting across the ideas they're trying to teach, then you've paid good money for a tool you can't use.

Lastly, every single education-based game I've ever seen (and I've seen a few) have fallen into the giant trap of 'boring'. You can try to dress it up as much as you like with pretty colours, but teaching via gaming is very hard to do whilst still keeping the fun aspect of the game in mind. This is usually because people focus too much on imparting the knowledge needed and less on the actual game creation itself, or making the game fun. (The best teaching games are ones for kids, namely because a kid's idea of fun is pretty bland in comparison to anyone who has played any kind of fun game ever. This is why there aren't many games out there that are both age appropriate, teaching based and FUN.)

Actually, real lastly - the cost you're supplying might not be enough at all, depending on the product created. Someone might go all out and create a really great game with tons of custom stuff that is 4 hours long and imparts the information you need them to, but you'd be undercutting them via cost for the many, many hours they've sunk into not just making custom stuff but also making an awesome game.

So for the cost you're looking at, if we say a flat (and quite low) rate of $10 an hour, you'd be paying for either 30 hours or 150 hours work... and I can tell you now, I've made a shitty 20 minute game with all RTP assets in 24 hours. If you want something more than that, with pretty graphics/sound/etc, you're going to be paying a lot more.
author=alevin
They will play the game, but at certain trigger points will be re-directed to a website (hopefully embedded) where they have to watch educational tutorials.

Not sure if rpgmaker itself can cause launch other applications like chrome

Anyway an example, here's an RPG game on steam that is edutainment based: http://store.steampowered.com/app/434480/Mathoria_It_All_Adds_Up/

also for a moderator that response rather unfriendly? (the first one)
Admin, actually, and the idea is pretty dumb based on all that I pointed out in my second post.
I'm just wondering about a few things.

- What is the subject matter going to be about? I ask because wouldn't this affect the graphics that have to be made?
- How many hours of gameplay is your target with the game?
- Are you expecting the developer to provide custom art with the game?
- RPG Maker isn't really good for action games across the board. Are you expecting something like Zelda in terms of mechanics for the action game or...? I checked the Unity Asset store one but it even has skill trees and I'm not sure if you wanted that.
My bad, my impression is that they want game with very simple plot like Dora the explorer simple, and basically you dont need to know anything about what theyre teaching (game plot is separate from lecture topic). It sounds like they basically want the battle system to be based on multiple choice quizzes but there isn't enough info provided to know exactly how that mechanic pans out. Guessing the target audience is children. Maybe you find out if you take the job. Probably take an old game u never finished and covert it to have an edutainment battle system lols
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Unity 3D or Game Maker Studio.

This game isn't getting made in RPG Maker. An action RPG with multiple choice based combat? No chance. Can it be done? I'm sure. But nobody's going to do it cheap, and it isn't going to be done soon. Unless you want a crappy game that nobody enjoys.

You can even use that 70 dollar asset pack if you use Unity. That's a significant chunk of your art cost already handled.
Bicfarmer - you are correct. The game is exactly as you stated. Liberty has been way off with understanding my original requirements - especially their second post (first point).

The game developer needs to have NO KNOWLEDGE of the subject matter. It is irrelevant. The game as I stated will follow a fantasy path. Certain Trigger points such as a certain NPC will trigger a tutorial (which I will develop).

Then during the battle the user will be asked pre-planned Multiple choice questions in the form of a choice - from a .json file (THIS PLUGIN HAS ALREADY BEEN CREATED - pianotm)..

So please, I appreciate people wanting further clarification that is fine, but I DO NOT WANT A LIST OF REASONS WHY IT IS A BAD IDEA - ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW THE REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY (which is my fault for the lack of detail). However, simply ask for further details instead of criticising and coming up with a list of reasons.

Liberty, for a Moderator you come across rather aggressive. If you simply feel that my idea is not a good idea, either keep it to yourself, message me, or simply ask for further clarity.

Finally, I'D APPRECIATE IT IF PEOPLE CONTRIBUTED QUESTIONS OR AN OFFER OF SERVICE, RATHER THAN RIPPING UP THIS IDEA.

Many thanks,

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Probably the closest thing I've done to an action-based system is the Wand of Blasting from this game. Which is... probably not what the OP is looking for in that regard. I swear there was a way to open external executables (maybe even web-pages?) in RPG Maker VX Ace, but, I don't recall the precise method at the moment.

*Edit: Er, I guess this isn't the kind of comment you were looking for. I'm nowhere near ready to commit to any kind of game-making project at the moment. Paid or otherwise. For what little it's worth, good luck with the game!
Thanks Marrend. There are a few people working on the web page being displayed from a Facebook group (so hopefully that will be taken care of).

I have seen a few ABS on RPG - such as Chrono or Quasi. I will have a look at the Wand of Blasting game.

Thanks,
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I don't know about executing a command to go outside the game then continue.
I would just have everything in the game.
RPG Maker lets you put videos inside the game.
So you could have lessons in the game, but the actual questions, etc... should be part of the game itself.

Action RPG in RPG maker = why?

https://rpgmaker.net/games/9214/

In a related topic I might be teaching students in my school how to use Ace lite during the winter break (pending on me able to make the engine activate on the school's computer, seriously why does a free program have to be so difficult to use.)

author=alevin
Bicfarmer - you are correct. The game is exactly as you stated. Liberty has been way off with understanding my original requirements - especially their second post (first point).

The game developer needs to have NO KNOWLEDGE of the subject matter. It is irrelevant. The game as I stated will follow a fantasy path. Certain Trigger points such as a certain NPC will trigger a tutorial (which I will develop).

Then during the battle the user will be asked pre-planned Multiple choice questions in the form of a choice - from a .json file (THIS PLUGIN HAS ALREADY BEEN CREATED - pianotm)..

So please, I appreciate people wanting further clarification that is fine, but I DO NOT WANT A LIST OF REASONS WHY IT IS A BAD IDEA - ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW THE REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY (which is my fault for the lack of detail). However, simply ask for further details instead of criticising and coming up with a list of reasons.

Finally, I'D APPRECIATE IT IF PEOPLE CONTRIBUTED QUESTIONS OR AN OFFER OF SERVICE, RATHER THAN RIPPING UP THIS IDEA.

Many thanks,

Hey alevin, I didn't want to come across as someone ripping your idea apart. But I wanted clarification because as a dev, the request seems really vague and unclear.
Pages: 1