[RMMV] PERMANENT SUPER GAMEBOY STYLE BORDER

Pages: 1
I'm trying to do some small things to improve the look of my game Shooty and the Catfish (which you can find here if you want to check it out).

One of the issue's that has been bugging me for a while is the games resolution. Its fine when its kept at its native (which is roughly 3x that of the original Gameboy that inspired the games look and limitations) BUT when you blow it up to full screen it looks like... well its a ridiculously blurry mess thanks tot he way MV upscales engine assets.

I feel like the best solution would be a permanently on screen border, the same as a super gameboy and what I used in the following trailer which would allow me to make the game at least 720p without horrible blurring in full screen.

I have tried using common events to create my own transitions or even the "show picture" commands but everything I have tried results in the image fading every time you transition from one map to another. I haven't found any work around for this issue (it seems to be an issue for people using on screen controls for mobile too, that or it just doesn't bother them). I know its a very specific issue so i'm not surprised I haven't been able to find much info on it, but I would have thought someone would have found a way to keep UI elements on screen at ALL times.

Thanks for the help you sexy people. <3
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You would need some script to know when the game is in small scree / full screen. Then you would need 2 images of the border. This is the only solution I can think of other than disabling full screen or disabling small screen.
author=kory_toombs
You would need some script to know when the game is in small scree / full screen. Then you would need 2 images of the border. This is the only solution I can think of other than disabling full screen or disabling small screen.

I dont mind if the image is there during window mode as well, its just getting something to stay there as it fades from map to map thats hard, no matter what I do images always fade out with the map. :(
I don't believe anything can remove the blurriness of full screen. That's an issue with most versions after 2k3 I think. Time to downgrade!

The border is a neat idea but it might not accomplish what you think. Any kind of change in resolution should fix blurriness with or without the border(especially if the border is simply a show picture command), so you shouldn't need to get that working to know whether you found a fix for it or not.

Was the frame resource type removed from newer engines?

I may be mistaken but that's what I've come to learn about issues with fullscreen in Ace. Even fullscreen scripts didn't help, although they did make it slightly better. But then it introduced other bugs with show video, and pressing F12 crashes it, soooo yeah fuck I hate RPG Maker sometimes.
author=Link_2112
I don't believe anything can remove the blurriness of full screen. That's an issue with most versions after 2k3 I think. Time to downgrade!

I did some tests in 2k3 and it looked super sharp BUT im too much an accessability nut and the split between Mac and PC players for my last release was too small to warrant writing one off entirely.

author=Link_2112
The border is a neat idea but it might not accomplish what you think. Any kind of change in resolution should fix blurriness with or without the border(especially if the border is simply a show picture command), so you shouldn't need to get that working to know whether you found a fix for it or not.

Increasing the resolution does certainly fix the issue, MV supports 1080p if I want it too, but the issue then is the art is absolutely tiny. While the resolution is scaleable, the games art assets are not, and here in lies the issue. At 720p in my test the game looked sharp enough full screen to pass but the game space within the frame was still big enough to make out and easily read (this wasnt an issue with my previous game Flatwoods which did run at 720p but the maps ended up looking very big and empty because of it. Delicate balance.

author=Link_2112
Was the frame resource type removed from newer engines?

As far as I can tell.

author=Link_2112
I may be mistaken but that's what I've come to learn about issues with fullscreen in Ace. Even fullscreen scripts didn't help, although they did make it slightly better. But then it introduced other bugs with show video, and pressing F12 crashes it, soooo yeah fuck I hate RPG Maker sometimes.

Thankfully unlike my last project this one has no video or anything fancy, im trying to keep everything in engine, its still hitting me with plenty of challenges.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

On each map = parallel process, show picture control switch 1 to blank page.
Transfer event = turn control switch off.
What if you increase the scale of the graphics? Then find some way to get around the difference in size of the characters and events.

It's possible that you can't keep images drawn between transitions, but why not just have no engine transitions. Then if you want pseudo transitions in the game play area, use show pictures with transparency change.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
There might be a script? There was a resolution script for ace, which made fullscreen sharper.
as for the frame, the easiest option would be to alter fullscreen mode. Instead of changing the game's resolution it would make the frame appear. I guess it could be quite easy to rewrite some fullscreen plugin and and make the frame a part of it.
So, you need your .json to do 2 things:
>no resolution change (or 2x in case some madman plays with a 4k monitor)
>show picture (picture needs to be big enough for all resolutions)

I can't find any fullscreen scripts for MV, so it might be more difficult than it looks. Maybe take a look at Galv's plugins or try to contract someone (Trihan?).
I've tried the resolution scripts for Ace, didn't help. Could you maybe link what you are thinking of in case it's one I haven't tried?

From what I understand the issue isn't with making it crisp, as it is crisp at 720, but the assets are too small to fill the screen at crisp resolution? And when you upscale? it goes blurry? I'm actually not fully clear on the issue as I would probably have to see it for myself.

So are you saying that MV has higher resolutions and when they are used at fullscreen, it's not blurry? Or it's crisp at the higher resolutions only in windowed mode? If that's the case, have you tried setting your computers resolution to match? Have you tested it on any other computers? Maybe it's a graphics card issue.

Either way, I think it's ludicrous that this is an issue at all. Why is it so hard for RPG maker to do fullscreen? I don't recall this issue on any other engines.
Pages: 1