WHAT DO YOU THINK OF 'GIRLY RUNS' AND OTHER SUCH MOTIONS?

Pages: first 123 next last

In one project I'm working on, the main female protagonist has stereo typically feminine motions. A demure walk with her arms poised behind her back, and for her run she sort of flails her arms a bit.

This is a pretty common animation for female characters in JRPGs in general.

Notably so in Final Fantasy, Rosa, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna, Vanille and all female hume in FF14 exhibit some variation on the girly run.

It's also commonly seen in anime.

What are your thoughts on it as a motion?
Don’t do it man. Don’t. Do it.
Are you going to give a reason?
It's dumb. Girls don't usually run like that, especially when doing serious shit. We run like "LEMME THE FUCK AWAY FROM THIS MONSTER! OMG I'M GONNA DIIIIIIIIE" not "Kawaii desu monster-chan plox dun eats me uguuuu am just kawaii desu girl owo"

Have you EVER seen a girl run like that irl who wasn't crazy, joking around and/or under 10? No. Why? Because it's dumb

That said, the spriting is nice.
Them’s the beans man, that’s the reason
Unless its purely a stylistic choice, its not a very effective running style. Like the Naruto running, etc, the arms cause extra drag and can get caught on things. I'm not sure the correct term, but back in school the hand movement was called 'through the pockets', this movement uses your back muscles and others to increase momentum. There's prolly some good youtube vids on running methods.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I mean, if you're intentionally going for lazy stereotypes for your characters, go for it, but I always feel like it's better to give some thought to how each individual character would move, and why.

It's an especially silly idea to copy Japanese stereotypes if you're not Japanese, since you're likely to use them incorrectly.
@Altered, Beans are good though.

@Liberty, I'll give you not seeing it in real life often(I've seen girls do it when running lightly but not sprinting), because, obviously, it's inconvenient as hell. But I think it gives girls a more, princessy(?) vibe. So it fits for ojou and princess types characters imo. Also laughed really hard at the anime mockery.

@Delsin7, definitely a stylistic choice. She's supposed to be a girly girl from a wealthyish family and acts as the party mage, so i figured the run would fit her character, it is within reason a cartoon after all. Contrasting her the actual princess who joins you is a tomboy who's leading a rebellion against her parents and duel wields guns.

@Sooz, While it is common in JRPGs the stereotype exists all across the globe and women were trained to run like that in some societies.
Flouncing. (probably) most accurate the verb for what she's doing is flouncing.

Having a female character able to move ONLY BY FLOUNCING says something about that character, namely that she's VERY FEMININE. since you've described her as "princessy" and "a girly girl" that's fine cause you know what you're doing.

@Sooz, While it is common in JRPGs the stereotype exists all across the globe and women were trained to run like that in some societies.

okay sure, I'll bite, what societies? because I'm trying to picture a group of female athletes being trained to do...THAT...and I just keep cracking up.
I... I feel like I hit a sore spot with StormCrow...
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
No one actually runs like that irl and it's 2019, you can leave old tropes in the past.

author=Terozu
the stereotype exists all across the globe and women were trained to run like that in some societies.
Citation Needed
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I feel safe in saying that women in the vast majority of English-speaking societies are NOT "trained to run like that," and, given that you are posting here, I'm guessing you're developing for an English-speaking audience.

Like, for Wodaabe people, it is SUPER SEXY for a man to be able to move one eye independently of the other, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that if I had a hot guy character do that in a game for people who are not Wodaabe, they would find it not all that sexy.

You should probably keep your audience in mind.

Unless your audience is "people whose main experience with people is from Japanese entertainment," in which case carry on I guess.
Key word here is 'were' Sooz. Women were trained to move and act in extremely feminine manners. It's an extremely outdated practice, but people still occasionally do it, usually models, or actresses, or more sheltered women, but it does still happen.

It originates in the west not the east.

Hell, Marilyn Monroe ran like this sometimes.
uhhh why are you so desperate to box your character into an obedient house wife trope. I find this being the hill you want to die on pretty concerning, though not surprising....
Sooz
Is your game set in the past?
Yes, it's a medieval fantasy setting.
author=Terozu

Then you should make her run like she has rickets.
unity
You're magical to me.
You seem pretty dead-set on it, and if you think it fits the setting and character, then fair enough. I just find it odd that you made a thread to specifically ask what people thought of this and then dismissed all the replies you got.

Why ask "What are your thoughts on it as a motion?" in the first place if you're going to just tell each person that they're wrong?
Sooz
author=Terozu

Then 1) you should probably research what's feminine for a woman of that time period and setting, instead of using modern Japanese gestures, and 2) she probably wouldn't be wearing thigh highs and a miniskirt, since those would be a pretty masculine outfit for the time.
author=unity
You seem pretty dead-set on it, and if you think it fits the setting and character, then fair enough. I just find it odd that you made a thread to specifically ask what people thought of this and then dismissed all the replies you got.

Why ask "What are your thoughts on it as a motion?" in the first place if you're going to just tell each person that they're wrong?

I was asking what people thought of the idea of a girly run in general, not of what they thought of my sprite. I just used my sprite as an example.

@Sooz

Medieval fantasy.
Pages: first 123 next last