IDIOTS IN IVALICE: A "ROLL TO DODGE" RP

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Thom chuckles, accepting the help of getting his helmet back on. "Ah, thanks Niviea", he smiles. "So, you're not Lynnie after all, kupo. Oh well, you're really great still, you know? Heheh. Just got this helmet today, but I think it's a little too heavy, kupo-po? Still, feels like it could take the sting from even a mace".

~~~

The Seeq lady nods to Anno enthusiastically, offering a hand to help the l'il thing up, "Yes yes yes. Anywhere else, and I wouldn't have guessed. I'd have figured you for a Mog squire or something, myself, or one of the guard with that heavy-duty armor".

She pauses. "Well. My name is Halita. I'm sad to say though, the bounty I offered is for... well, my ex. Hovy is his name. He wanted to be a Lanista, one of those Dark Knight types among my people. But he's always been... wait, *never* been enthusiastic about hard work without immediate payoff. So... he says he'd recently found someone peddling Magicite, promising it'll teach him an adventuring job".

She glances about, and in a hushed tone adds, "He's been eating everything in sight since. Ravenous, and even considering cooking monsters and even people. He claims it's what his job does, and that it'll make him stronger. Called it a 'Gourmand', or something". She grimaces. "I don't know if he's hurt anyone yet, but he's dangerous. And packing a fork so big, one could easily think it a trident. He thinks that if he cooks and eats living things, it'll teach him magic, like some kind of demented Blue Mage".
Cesar breathes a sigh of relief as Vivian excuses herself to join her friends and listen to Halita's request.

"Eating people! By the great Earth Spirit! Such a vile thought... and quite silly when there are plenty of tasty plants and roots to go by... Erm! He is your ex, you say? When and where did you last see him?"
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
"Thank you for dancing with me!" Kawaii grin! "Oh! Anno is calling me. I'll talk to you later!"

I go over to see why Anno has called me over. Niviea sees Vivian and hear her exclaiming about eating people. "Who's eating people? Or does somebody want to eat people? Anno? I know you can be curious, sometimes but you've seen what people eat. I'd bet they taste awful." She squares her shoulders with authority. "Eating people is bad except in funerary rituals and dire survival situations." She crosses her arms in a clear indication that her statement is the final word on the matter.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
"You're right, Niviea, eating people sounds gross, Kupo," I reassure my friend and pat her on the arm, since I can't reach her shoulder. "Don't worry, though, I wasn't going to try. After all, how would I fit a living person into my mouth, anyway?"

"But it sounds like this Mister Hovy had a dose of bad Magicite, and either a very big mouth or very sharp cutlery. We have to stop him, Kupo-po! What else do we need to know about him, lady Halita?"
AtiyaTheSeeker
Music: "Lurking in the Darkness", FF7
YouTube Link, as I couldn't find a MIDI on VGMusic of it

Halita quickly replies back to Anno, giving a brief look of concern toward Niviea while Cesar slips back a bit from the eccentric Vivian. "Last I'd heard", she responds, "He's been hanging out around one of the warehouses. Near the big auction house. I've seen some homeless-looking Nu Mou hanging around there, befriending stray monsters that get enough gall to creep past city limits. Here, let me offer more details..."

~~~

And thus, roughly an hour later, the team has made its way to the auction house district of Camoa. Following Halita the Seeq's intel, the three are accompanied by Janna and Lenzo. While Janna is strapping her fighting claws to the back of her right hand, the ninja Lenzo is keeping his eyes peeled behind his mask and coif. Giving a brief poke to the lioness, he points out a shady part between a pair of warehouse buildings.

"Right", whispers the Brigali to the Hume. "Okay, don't stray too far this time. Stay hidden, and be ready to call the guard if we need backup".

"Hey", Lenzo's eyes narrow behind his ninja hood. "I wasn't planning on it". With that, he begins to carefully perform kuji-in hand signs; before long, Lenzo's form winks in and out of sight before completely vanishing. Seems the cowardly shinobi had mastered the ability to cast an invisible state upon himself before any other Ninjutsu...

"Okay", Janna whispers. "Let's try to waylay that weirdo without being seen. Oh, and before I forget..."

Slowly opening a small cask she's brought with her, Janna distributes a helping hand, courtesy of lady Halita -- one Potion for each of the PCs.

~~~

Janna, a mistress of slinking toward her prey as the great feline she resembles, leads the manhunt. Weaving her way around the street-lamps, she pauses every now and again to look back and see how the others are doing.

Everyone, give me an idea of how you approach -- with or without stealth. I'll be rolling the die for each of you afterward. Directly after, we'll be initiating a combat scenario; the results of your actions will determine who goes first.

For combat, each PC and Janna will start with 4 HP. Each round, announce what combat action you'll be taking in bold text; this can be a weapon or unarmed attack, using an item from your inventory, using your Job ability, or any other command you see fit. Initiative each round will be determined randomly, to try and keep things from being too predictable.
pianotm
Niviea, a healer and ranged attacker, draws her bow and holds back, trailing behind, but making sure to keep everyone in sight. She will follow a relative distance behind everyone else trying to be as quiet as possible.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
What easier prey for a crazed (potential) cannibal could there be than a small, clumsy Moogle, who seems very obviously lost and has no idea what he's doing? I will play bait and bumble my way through the dark passageways between the warehouses, deliberately bumping into stuff constantly and acting completely inept. I will keep a little bit of distance between myself and Janna, attempting to draw attention away from her as she's sneaking around, and towards myself instead.

(P.S.: Atiya, could you add the Potions Janna gave us to our inventories, so we don't forget we have them, please? Thanks!)
Because of her height, Vivian is easy to spot from a distance.
She treads carefully in a crouched position, crossbow in hand, and prefers not to be in the lead. She'll be ready to react depending on what happens on the frontline.
AtiyaTheSeeker
(Done and done, NS; added a Potion to everyone's character sheet for reference sake!)

Niviea: Roll of 5 (Success and boon)
Anno: Roll of 3 (Partial success)
Vivian: Roll of 3 (Partial success)
Janna: Roll of 5 (Success and boon)
~~~
YT Music: "Trisection", FFT

Of the trio, Niviea is perhaps the most stealthy, able to find a clear vantage point between her fellows. As luck would have it, the quarry Hovy walks out from a iron-reinforced door from the warehouse, accompanied by a Nu Mou in green attire and worn-looking leathers. Alongside them is a small, fluffy rabbit-like critter easily identified as a Dreamhare.

"I still don't feel good about this", the vagrant Nu Nou sighs. "I get that Rutabaga is a stray and all, but--"

Adjusting his chef's hat and using an oversized fork like a walking stick, Hovy snorts with indifference. "There you go naming them again, Roy. With the money I can earn from my new powers, you won't have to be homeless anymore. Think about it. When has being a Beastmaster ever--"

As soon as the two walk out into the space between storage warehouses, they clearly see Anno in his act, bumbling his way down the passageway. "Of course" sneers Hovy, "Who needs fiends for food when I've got a wayward Moogle right here?"

Roy turns somewhat pale. "Oh... oh no. I didn't think it'd be this--"

"You can back down any time you want", grunts Hovy as he marches forward, patting the end of his great utensil against his palm, the prongs looking rather pointy indeed. "But if you let this one get away, I'm not sharing the first of our loot-to-be".

A chattering from the Dreamhare, and Roy points behind the seemingly wayward Anno. "Over there! I think he's not alone".

"You're bein' paranoid now?" Hovy groaned. "Yellow-belly". Apparently, Hovy and Roy couldn't quite spy Vivian even if the Dreamhare's keen senses did. Vivian can use this opportunity to keep lurking in the shadows, ready to support as needed.

Lifting up the drooping belt of his trousers, the pig-man finally addresses Anno. "Snooping about and lookin' for trouble with that armor, I see?"

Breaking stealth at last, Janna had managed to sneak her way all around the Clan's quarries while Anno's presence has distracted them. With a smirk on her face and a wink unseen by all except Anno (and perhaps her other clan-mates), she winds up for a haymaker...
~~~
FIGHT!
Thanks to the lucky rolls for Niviea, I will roll the die twice for her action on the opening round, and offer the best result due to her fortunate position between her team and the enemy. As for Janna, she'll obtain this same boon due to her flanking of the foes.

Needless to say, Anno is out in the open and will be the most direct target for the Gourmand and his accomplices.

Lastly, all but Rutabaga the Dreamhare are unaware of Vivian from her own position. Call it kinship between bunnies.

Anno: 4 HP, Ability Ready
Vivian: 4 HP, Ability Ready
Niviea: 4 HP, Ability Ready
Janna (Guest): 4 HP, Ability Ready

Hovy, Seeq Gourmand: 5 HP
Roy, Nu Nou Beastmaster: 4 HP
Rutabaga, Dreamhare: 3 HP
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I look up at Hovy - who towers over me - like I hadn't even noticed him before. Suddenly, I begin snickering, then bursting into laughter, as I address Roy, pointing my finger at Hovy.

"Pfffbwahahaha! Did you... Did you see his face? It looks like a butt, Kupo-Kupo-Kupo!"

Still giggling, and hopefully having made Hovy sufficiently mad, I very abruptly snatch the Smoke Bomb out of my pack and throw it on the ground in front of Hovy and his accomplices (and probably myself, too).
pianotm
Wait for them to lunge at Anno, and the shoot the first one that gets too close to him.
Vivian remains hidden and readies her crossbow.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Suddenly, a powerful earthquake overtakes Camoa in the dead of night. Warehouses fall, everyone dies.

...April foooooools~♪ Here's what really happens!

Ally Rolls -- Anno: 4, Vivian: 3, Niviea: 2 and 4, Janna: 1 and 4
Enemy Rolls -- Hovy: 2, Roy: 6, Rutabaga: 6
~~~
Ready to try and end the confrontation as soon as possible, Janna's sneak attack goes off... but she manages to trip over a cobblestone, stubbing a clawed toe. Her unexpected stumble still has her lunge into a punch, gouging the points of the short-bladed claws into Hovy's back. Gritting her teeth and growling from the pain, she's not ready to let the pain in her foot distract her in the rising heat of battle. (1 dmg: Hovy)

Niviea, acting quick her her nocked arrow, looses it immediately at the first foe to take aggressive action. Surprisingly it's not Hovy who takes the opening strike for the enemy party, but instead Roy lifts a rather heavy-looking bell. Just as the Beastmaster goes to bludgeon the petite Green Mage does he get zapped in the shoulder with an arrow, making him howl from the sudden pain and dropping his main weapon. (1 dmg: Roy)

Roy, a greenhorn to combat and unskilled at handling the pain of a weapon's sting, is unable to stop Anno from producing his smoke bomb or command Rutabaga to do similar. Likewise, Hovy is too busy doing a double-take behind himself and bleeding like a literal stuck pig to avoid it, either. With a small flash, a loud bang and a thick cloud of smoke enveloping the close-range combat, all enemies and Anno will suffer a -1 to their rolls to attack or be attacked for the next two rounds.

Roy, finally steeling himself from the arrow wound, scrambles to pick up his literal instrument of war. Luckily he's able to locate the weaponized bell without too much trouble, and picking it up he continues his attempt to play Whack-a-Moogle. Reacting so fast he surprised even himself, the bell comes whizzing down and bonks Anno just above the pom-pom antenna, dazing him briefly. (1 dmg: Anno)

Rutabaga might not have realized what the ceramic ball with a wick was, but the l'il scamp refuses to remain deterred. Fleeing from the smoke cloud as soon as possible, the Dreamhare chatters loudly and starts running straight for Vivian, flying forth in a pounce and kicking with surprisingly strong legs. (1 dmg: Vivian)

Vivian, not prepared to be found out so easily, managed to barely bat away Rutabaga and flee from the smaller rabbit. Though unable to keep the critter away for long, she's still in no position to be found by the other foes among the chaos of the smoke bomb blast.

Lastly, Hovy is so baffled within the chaos and injury at his back that he can do nothing other than flail about, trying to swat someone with his fork. Somehow missing Roy, Anno and Janna alike in his muddled state, his turn this round finds no purchase.

Round One Results
Anno: 3 HP, Ability Ready
Vivian: 3 HP, Ability Ready
Janna (Guest): 4 HP, Ability Ready

Hovy, Seeq Gourmand: 4 HP
Roy, Nu Nou Beastmaster: 3 HP
Rutabaga, Dreamhare: 3 HP

Environment Effects: -1 to act against Anno, Roy and Hovy; -1 to Anno, Roy and Hovy's actions (smoke cloud)

EDIT: Dang, forgot the effects of Heavy Armor on Anno. Uhhhm, yeah, no dazing penalty applied after all. :x

pianotm
With Rutabaga closer and potentially exposing Vivian, Niviea considers him a more immediate threat. She shoots Rutabaga.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
"Ow! That was just luck, you meanie!"

I turn to shout towards my companions, making sure Hovy and Roy hear me clearly:
"Don't worry, I've got these two big dummies covered, Kupo! They're way too clumsy to hit me again, Kupo!"

It's time for my favourite part of any battle: The moment where the bad guys do something stupid and defeat themselves. I activate my "Support" ability to debuff both Hovy and Roy.

(Good luck hitting me with a total of -4 to your attacks, dummies.)
"Agh! What the?!"

Distracted by his surprise attack, Vivian focuses her attention on Rutabaga and instinctively shoots at him.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Ally Rolls -- Anno: n/a, Vivian: 4, Niviea: 5, Janna: 6
Enemy Rolls -- Hovy: 1 (was 2), Roy: 1 (was 2), Rutabaga: 3
~~~
Letting himself revel in the madness of his more disruptive Green Magick spells, Anno blights his adversaries' eyes even further by shutting them into darkness on top of the smoke. Throwing in a dash of delirium as well, both the Seeq and Nu Mou fall into relative -- if only temporary -- madness. After all, a hazy mind and lessened awareness on top of choking, strong-smelling smoke with a side of blindness? Easily three senses disabled, with the sense of touch also dampened. Hovy and Roy now possess a total of -2 to their actions while in the smoke cloud each for this round.

Hovy, dazed and confused by the iron-clad Moogle's assaults on his senses, fumbles helplessly in the smoke, coughing and swatting about rapidly with his fork. His prongs do find purchase... but instead of hitting the short critter that overwhelmed him, he instead managed to stab directly into Roy's guts, with only the tattered leathers of the tramp's outfit keeping him from being fatally impaled. (1 dmg: Roy)

Meanwhile, outside the chaotic scene, Niviea manages to assist Vivian in fending off the Dreamhare. Nocking a second arrow and loosing it with careful aim, the Miqo'te White Mage is able to lead the shot enough to peg her target without putting her ally in danger. The arrow lands square into Rutabaga's back, causing the monstrous bunny to squeal in pain; it also pierces deep enough to really hurt the critter, causing additional damage. (2 dmg: Rutabaga)

With her crossbow spanned swiftly while drawing distance from the Dreamhare, Vivian is able to chase Niviea's shot with her own. Flinching and screaming from the vicious injury, Rutabaga is soon put down by a square shot to its chest, the fletchings nearly penetrating out the bunny's back completely from the point-blank bolt. (1 dmg and KO'd: Rutabaga)

Roy, recently punctured by Hovy's fork, instinctively swats in the same direction the stabbing came from. And misses. So he swats again, trying to get in closer. And misses again. And keeps trying to advance, his fight-or-flight response forcing him to defend himself. Much to his own doom, Roy's adrenaline rush also prevents him from realizing just how deep the fork's going into him as he staggers forth, trying to smash whoever just pierced him. Eventually the organ damage and blood loss catches up to him, and the Beastmaster nearly faints on the spot, sliding off the fork's points and gushing blood. Trying to keep his innards from falling out, Roy's next turn will be skipped... perfect for a coup de grace. (1 dmg: Roy)

Aware of Anno's usual strategies, Janna managed to fall back as the initial smokescreen burst into being. Sensitive ears giving her a clue to the carnage within, Janna braces herself for the assault on her senses and dives into the fray. With a decisive downward swipe of her fighter's claw, she finds purchase and hits her initial target again. Utterly blindsided once more, Hovy is slashed across the back of his head... but in a knee-jerk reaction, turns and stabs where he's sure the lioness was! Not as prepared as she thought, Janna isn't able to avoid the strike and gets jabbed by two of the three prongs in her side, causing her to gasp and cry out in pain. (1 dmg: Hovy and Janna)

By now, the lingering smoke is thinning out. The next round, it will be gone completely and won't provide its cover.

Round Two Results
Anno: 3 HP
Vivian: 3 HP, Ability Ready
Janna (Guest): 3 HP, Ability Ready

Hovy, Seeq Gourmand: 3 HP
Roy, Nu Nou Beastmaster: 1 HP, stunned (1 rd)
Rutabaga, Dreamhare: KO'd
pianotm
Roy clearly is on his last leg, an easy target for Anno, whatever he may have planned. Hovy, however, seems to still be causing havoc. Niviea moves forward to draw level with Vivian and looses an arrow at Hovy.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I have no intention of actually killing any of these people, even though they're not very nice. But they can't just get away, either. So instead of attempting to attack Roy and possibly injure him even more, I pull out my rope and start running circles around Roy's legs, thereby hopefully incapacitating him enough to completely take him out of the fight this way.

Janna and Niviea seem to have Hovy covered for the moment, so I will hold off on trying to annoy him for the time being.
Vivian nods at Niviea and, grateful for her help, gives her a solid thumbs up.

With the smoke beginning to dissipate, Vivian considers that protecting Janna is the best option. Alongside Niviea, Vivian aims and shoots at Hovy.