[WRITING PROMPT CHALLENGE] ~DAY BY DAY~

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I'd welcome comments on my stuff, tho some really is just filler lol. (looking at you, Summer Highs).

I only read bits n pieces here n there. Ozzy's I liked, it's admittedly trying to be very serious, but that makes it nice and kind of somber. It reminds me of watching Rainbow anime somehow haha. Even with the end narration (which is probably more a part of the nature of this prompt writing, to kind of close it where you'd need a new episode, and which could well be left out)

Deaflopist I really felt on edge before, haha, but, I actually really damn like it. I am sure if they wanted to they could pull off different "more serious" styles just fine, but there is a certain frank clarity in it that I just adore. IT's simply - no extra fluff, exactly what you need and little more. Playing with fumbles and awkward realities, so overblown but so real at the same time. Just delicious : D And fun!

Atiya and others I didn't get to much yet. .. I guess I did read some, at least hahah
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Tiny reflection on my "Day 10" entry:

Maybe it's just me, but that Quistus sounds a hell of a lot like Masako to me. Then again, I suppose Quistus was an inspiration, of sorts, for Masako.

AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Holy cow, I've been putting off the other entries for a while but I'm trying to catch up to them. I think my best strategy is to write the prompts that stand out the most to me and go from there?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
That sounds like a reasonable plan. Go with what you're most inspired by!
Meanwhile, time for me to play catch up with the prompts
I'm a little confused, is this over now or is it still ongoing?
author=StormCrow
I'm a little confused, is this over now or is it still ongoing?

It's still ongoing and anyone is still free to join for whatever prompt they so desire. Libby was simply unable to post one prompt per day for a while, and had to add some in bulk.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Whoa whoa whoa! New topics? Since when?! Nobody told me!!

May I humbly request that we dispense with the rule that we keep our answers to the prompts confined in one post? If people posted their work as they go, its a little more organic with the day-by-day updates and makes it easier to reply and give feedback since you need only focus on a few prompts at a time (believe me I tried to reply to some old prompts and it kinda makes your head spin to try and address all at once) plus lazybutts like me can see the thread updating.

Everyone's got a head start on me but I'll come back with some edits and give this a try?
Go for it! : D

Also, if you just read a few and comment on it, it'd be cool too. I can see how it's tricky tho, haha.
I still want a single post with all the stuff in it, or at least linked back to it, but if you think that posting a piece as you go would work better, I'm fine with it too. Just as long as there's a single post that has all the works linked back to for ease of finding, too!
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Liberty
I still want a single post with all the stuff in it, or at least linked back to it, but if you think that posting a piece as you go would work better, I'm fine with it too. Just as long as there's a single post that has all the works linked back to for ease of finding, too!

This is probably the way to go.
Well. I guess this is officially dead. I will finish the remaining prompts little by little and leave it at that.
there will always be another
Isrieri
I read everybody's stuff! Hot damn it took hours!

Kylaila
There was a lot to read! My one real criticism is I'd like to see you breaking things up into more digestible paragraphs, like how you did with Secrets. Formatting is important if you want to engage your readers! A lot of the prompts were abstract imagery which is hit-or-miss with me personally, and makes it hard to comment on. I do like a lot of it here. I'm a little jealous, 'cause it seems to me you aren't afraid to just belt out whatever the prompt puts into your head and put it to paper. That's a good habit to develop.

Is that mountain melody a mountain goat? Or is that the melody of writer's block? :D

Favorites ~ Relationship Goals, Free from Obligations, His Sigh, On the Dockside
Favorite Haiku ~ At the Edge

Marrend
Aww, Linger was cute. Summer Highs was kind of a funny anti-climax. A nice summer day and then *PAMPF* a smash-cut to bedtime!

You've got a pretty decent handle on making evocative prose - I really dig some of the imagery you invoke, especially in Escape the Dream. "I can soar the skies like an eagle. Yet, around her, my arm cannot move." That hits me right *here*. I would say that when you begin any writing, especially when you jump in medias res, make sure to write a few words establishing where we are in time and space. Jumping straight into dialogue isn't a bad thing, but if they're just disembodied voices in the ether its hard to latch on as a reader, y'know?

Favorites ~ Broken Seashells, Escape the Dream, Gracious

Ozzy
Aha! Its the Game of Thrones finale!
Being confronted by an adult like that, especially in the face of disaster, is pretty scary in the uncertainty of the situation. A good beginning that can be taken in many directions.
Don't call your children an it! D:

"There is no scientific proof that Summer is an addictive substance!"

pianotm
Reading your work makes me want to work harder to improve: You paint very vivid pictures. That's what I want to do!
I'm not sure if raw onions are necessarily the best tasting vegetable, but I'm not going to be one to judge.

Favorite ~ Summer Highs

Liberty
Hot day? Dry grass? A UTE? Its Australia alright. Love what you wrote for that prompt. The trend has been talking about emotional highs and you spun it toward a heat wave. Very visceral. I think the goal of writing is the same goal as painting - take what you see in your minds eye and replicate it as precisely as you can. I guess the only thing I can think to suggest is that I'd love to see more dialogue in your writing - I peeked at some of your past prompts and you're clearly fantastic with good prose, but there's no better way to make someone human than to hear them speak. (hear? you mean read? whatever. you get the point)

Favorites ~ They're all excellent, but probably Memorial.

Atiya
Another big haul! Whoa these are long!
First-person can be tricky, but it can also be very freeing, as you don't have to worry quite so much about proper form or making a vivid presentation so-to-speak. With first-person its all about reflecting a character's thoughts, and the more interesting the character the more gripping the read. That's true in all writing but first-person stories live or die by the characters they follow.

Don't think of this as a criticism of your own writing, as you only reminded me of this point: If there's any background stuff, like outside lore or an on-going story we begin in be-twixt of, don't forget to give readers some breathing-room. Having a moment of familiarity and simplicity in fantastic settings does wonders. The story's first sentence is the reader's first sentence. These being write-a-day prompts, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Far more important to get the words on paper and practice!

I'm curious about something. Would a fox like leather jackets? Or Grease? Leather's typically made from tanned animal hides. I guess this leather is synthetic.

Other note: Why did we ever stop calling wife-beaters 'tank-tops?' That's profiling y'know. (I kid)

I hope you continue writing with us as these prompts continue! These are a pleasure to read.

Favorites ~ Group of Friends, Summer Highs,
Favorite Quote ~
"Silas", my voice spoke out softly, just between us. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I want to believe you could. I guess your lucky star has grown dim, and I wish I could've shared the light from mine. If it meant you'd be around today, I know I would have".

Deadflopist
Kind of a bittersweet Linger prompt. I like it. I feel bad because I don't have a whole lot to say about them. They're interesting, they're imaginative, and I hope you keep writing!

In Group of Friends did the MC scream "My groupon has expired!!" or did they just scream internally?....or did they scream out loud?

Favorites ~ Memorial, Blazing Sky
Isrieri
author=Kylaila
Well. I guess this is officially dead.

writing is hard ok

I'm still working on the prompts for this thread, but the 'somebody' who revived one of the old topics was me. Maybe give me some feedback? Then the thread isn't dead.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Thanks for all the feedback you're giving everyone Isrieri! I really appreciate it and I sure the others do too! :D
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yes, I do! And wild onions are nowhere near as strong as regular onions.
<3 Aww thank you. And woahh, all of them. (Also Relationships Goals IS TOTALLY one of my own favorites from the write-ups). Thank you for all the feedback. I have little time this morning, but just wanted to chime in to say that : D
I shall think of the formatting. Which one in particular did it bog down? I will get to it soon though. (if you remember it cool, if not, no need to dig through 'em all)

Mountain Melody just made me think of Monster Hunter. It was very inspired, to say the least. I do adore the idea of a mountain goat, (accurate observation of smashing through block. something. lol)

And yes, my greatest achievement in all areas of my life has been to just do it, and then think about it and perhaps fix it later. I like doing good, polished work. But really, if that's holding you back, you gotta cut yourself some slack. I'm only really getting started with it.

I didn't know about the old thread at all, so sure. Give and take. Then it is not dead. I guess not adding new prompts while peeps catch-up's pretty smart (and what I was basing it on, sorry if it felt discouraging to you!). Daily write-ups are quite the pace to begin with.

Edit: I has respondeth. I will skip on the other thing though. I feel like my writing style doesn't really benefit from the 10 min rule. Most entries (bar the seashell one) prolly didn't take longer than 10 minutes each anyhow. ESPECIALLY poetry. Cool idea though. Is inspiring to look at that, and what it does. *ponders*
I did the thing.
I DID THE THING. AND OMFG. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Isrieri
author=Kylaila
I has respondeth.

Thank you so much! Should I reply in this thread? I'm gonna reply in this thread!

That is to say, it feels like you put a great deal of thought into what your thoughts are PART OF, what world this is in, and what this all means. That, and it is well, very physical in a descriptive sense.

Physical! That's a really polite way to put it, I like that a lot. Yeah when writing gets more ephemeral I feel like a total doofus while writing.

Some focus more on fleshing out a setting and do it well, some are attempts to branch out and try different styles (1, 9 and 20 in particular),

The prompts that leaned toward that end like one and nine were me semi-panicking trying to write anything at all. I didn't know what the prompt was going to be until I opened the spoiler tag, so each prompt required at least a little stream-of-conscious mentality. In that sense, because of the time-limit, I actually didn't think too hard about what I was writing, but now and then I got a pretty good idea from the prompt and was able to develop it into something.

Narrations are usually also fairly neutral in tone (bar first person style of 20, and more mystical scenes, aka 1 + 9), and as such require the dialogues to put emotion and tension into it. Which they do. (not all are as dry tho. 6 in particular manages to convey a great deal of subtle things through its narration, rather than just describe the scene. It's part of why I love that entry the most).

That's probably where I struggle the most. My prose is seriously dry and matter-of-fact. I'm trying to work at getting better making interesting descriptions and fleshing out the surroundings of a scene. How much should you describe, and how much should you leave to the reader's imagination? There's a balance to be had there. The other problem I have is boilerplate - I've got a bad habit of using filler words.

I feel your writing would really shine if you would be allowed to stay some longer with anyone prompt though. I wonder if it helped to quickly establish an idea though? That, and prompt-writing is an experimental haven if you want it to be. You did say you wanted to finish each thought though... was that good for ya, how'd that turn out?)

It kinda helped? Most of the prompts I didn't submit because they came out crap. Ten minutes is not a long time to write something fully fleshed out, so that's kind of why I gave myself the challenge to make each vignette feel like a legitimate 'scene' rather than just some flashes of color and imagery. Having the time limit is great to force you to get something on the page rather than sit at your desk and stare at blank document for 20 minutes, but it was a bit frustrating always running out of time just as I felt I was finally getting something going.

If future prompts appear, I would recommend giving it a shot and see if it works for you - set your phone timer for ten minutes and just write down whatever pops into your head, and then once the time's up see if you can't spin something out of it.
Pages: first prev 123 next last