RECENTLY WATCHED MOVIES

Saw the movie Pig (2021) recently, it was alright, it was a bit hyped up. I guess film people are so tired of John Wick movies that seeing a similar premise not tick any of the usual boxes (mainly pointless violence) feels fresh. It avoids the obvious and I didn't know where it was going but in the end nothing actually happens or gets accomplished. Which is the point I suppose.

I'm not someone who wants a loud action popcorn movie but I guess I wanted more detail from it? Idk have like a 10 minute monologue about the truffle business, least I would have learned something. Instead it was very minimal with half of the situations resolved with Nicolas Cage knowing a lot of people, like in a "howd this hobo looking dude get so many connections???? who is this guy????" which is not subtle at all and gets tiring after awhile.

I mean I """get it""" it's not really about the pig but the loss of his wife, or dealing with loss in general. But I also didn't really connect with the message which is more important than the message. I mean I had a cat die a year or so ago and had a lot of inner feelings develop from that isn't just about a pet but a sense of time feeling temporary and the melancholy that comes from that, something the movie barely scratches for me and idk. It also boils down to, there are things more important than business, and that's family : ) which Vin Diesel does a better job at conveying.

Now to watch Lamb cause I guess 2021 is just farm animal movies.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=adam3428
I just watched The Mist from 2007, very good horror movie.

Pretty sure the ending scarred me for life
The Invisible Man (2020)

Is it really good? When I get reviews from my friend he also recommended watching this movie.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Watched Terminator 2 last night after I don't know how long. It's hard to put into words how fantastic that movie is.
I watched Dune at the movies the other day, it was really good.

This has also been the first time I've been to the movies in a while. The last time I went to the movies, it was for a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. I can't wait to start going to those again, but it's getting too cold for that now, unfortunately.
pianotm
Damn, I want to see Dune so bad. And Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I hate being broke.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Around Halloween we started watching older horror movies that we hadn't seen yet! What we got around to:

Jennifer's Body: Feels like Mean Girls but as a silly horror movie. It mixes the camp and the offbeat horror REALLY well and I enjoyed it a lot. Young Neil is surprisingly good at acting. Apparently a cult classic?

Ginger Snaps: Two teen sisters grow apart because of puberty and because one is a werewolf. Surprisingly scary! Had zero idea how it was going to end!

Hellraiser: Man gets bored of Sex and decides to try out Sex 2, accidentally summons some demons instead. It has a very typical buildup of 80s-90s American horror movies - right off the rip you know spooky stuff is coming, but it's a slow burn about a messy family first. The demons are unsettling in a good way but it still has a good amount of cheesiness as well. Pretty gory.

Young Frankenstein: The story of Doctor Frankenstein, as told by Mel Brooks. I was a bit disappointed, actually! Gene Wilder is usually a really funny actor but I think the gags kind of just fell flat? Maybe it's just of a different era, but I thought it was... fine. The bit with the gendarme's metal arm had me cackling.

I'm a bit bummed to hear Pig wasn't great though! I was hoping it would be a really, really ridiculous version of Taken. I don't know what that would look like but it sounds like it missed the mark :/
pianotm
slash
Young Frankenstein: The story of Doctor Frankenstein, as told by Mel Brooks. I was a bit disappointed, actually! Gene Wilder is usually a really funny actor but I think the gags kind of just fell flat? Maybe it's just of a different era, but I thought it was... fine. The bit with the gendarme's metal arm had me cackling.

Oh, that's a shame. Young Frankenstein is one of my favorites. At least you enjoyed something from it.

Now, I'm gonna be quoting it all day...
I felt like Young Frankenstein wasn't supposed to be quite as funny as Brooks's other films like Spaceballs or Blazing Saddles, since it had a bit of sincere drama in it as well. So it had silly gags like Frau Blucher *whinnying sounds in the background* in one scene and Dr Frederick Frankenstein coming to grips with his grandfather's reputation as an ongoing conflict, but the dramatic scenes and the silly gags never really feel out of place.

I just realized that Matrix: Resurrections was already released, but I'm still not sure if I want to watch it. Partially because I felt like Revolutions was a satisfying conclusion to the story, and partially because Morpheus was my favorite character and Laurence Fishburne kicked ass, having a Matrix movie with Morpheus but no Fishburne just feels incomplete.
pianotm
Eggbertx
I just realized that Matrix: Resurrections was already released, but I'm still not sure if I want to watch it. Partially because I felt like Revolutions was a satisfying conclusion to the story, and partially because Morpheus was my favorite character and Laurence Fishburne kicked ass, having a Matrix movie with Morpheus but no Fishburne just feels incomplete.

Word is, Resurrections is so bad, people are actually starting to reconsider their hate for Revolutions. There's also a rumor going around that Warner Bros. burnt Lana Wachowski so bad she deliberately made the movie shit as revenge. There's some legitimacy to this because apparently, Neo works for a game development company that is constantly having trouble with their terrible, greedy publisher...Warner Bros. No, seriously, a lot of reviews are talking about this.

Take all of that as you will.
Well that's depressing, though I guess I can't really blame her. And while it was certainly flawed, I've never really felt that Revolutions was necessarily bad. Same for Reloaded. I may just wait for a bit and if the consensus is apparently that it's shit, I can pretend that it doesn't exist.
Gonna say Matrix 4 was earnest and the first matrix movie was a fluke... but yeah I wish I hadn't watched it, such a dull experience.

So the first half establishes a lot of "intentional" nostalgia callbacks to the originals and the later half tries to say a bunch of stuff about all that. It's just written so OBVIOUS and characters will say "It can't be!" "Character Name?" Like you can just see the script pop up on the screen, I don't think that parts intentional because even the trilogy had a better lines that didn't feel as telegraphed. The movie does have a soft spot for the series legacy but idk everything is so executed poorly it feels like a Grandma's Boy sequel than any sort of commentary. I did like seeing Carrie Anne Moss again with Keanu but it's a shame its all propped up by a horrible script and Neil Patrick Harris *shudder*

Though it really just made me want to watch the original again. Remember when movies bothered to have stakes? Idk maybe that new spiderman movie has em, wish I was in the mood for MCU stuff instead. If you've seen the trailer you seen the movie and I fell for the bait.
Sadly, Matrix 4 is probably still superior to "Santa's Boot Camp" a really badly written and acted film that's meant to be an anti bullying movie, but is so dreadful you'll want to look the other way.

The movie even messes up comedic timing by showing us a whoopee cushion just seconds before it's used. As a result the juvenile nature of the joke falls flat since it's deployment doesn't manage to catch you off guard.

And the movie tries to justify calling itself Santa's Boot Camp when Santa kidnaps the children in question and forces them to work for him in order to free up elves usually assigned to doing Santa's yard work to the Toy Factory. Apparently Santa justifies this on the grounds that bratty kids like them caused his elves to go on strike in the first place.

And we get to hear throughout the movie that Christmas is a Christian Holiday.

And I have to love how one of the kids does a voiced bit meant to represent his thoughts where he describes Santa as being psychic only for one of Santa's elves to complain about him calling Santa a psycho.

Jeez, I thought I had hit rock bottom for Christmas movies when I found a film about Santa's reindeers being a bunch of jocks that frequently get does pregnant and take no responsibility for looking after their children, but Santa being a kidnapper and slaver is definitely worse.
Against my better judgement I decided to go see Resurrections, and in retrospect, I really shouldn't have bothered. I didn't exactly have high expectations and hopes for it going in, but I still feel somehow disappointed.
I might just rewatch the original trilogy just to cleanse my palette.
pianotm
I finally watched Terminator: Genisys yesterday. It was pretty awful, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Holy shit, who thought casting Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese was a good idea?

I washed the taste out of my mouth by watching Tank Girl. I love it!
Movies wise? I love to re-watch Friday every now and again. It's like the perfect movie to me, a flawed protagonist(how do you get fired on your day off?), goofy sidekick, a threatening villain, plus all the side characters blend so well. Best Movie for a rewatch.

Finally finished the Big Short, I don't get the hype but I did learn a lot. I have a interest in the "Don't Look Up" netflix movie but if it's just like The Big Short I can wait.
In January I saw 28 movies, some were rewatches of old classics I hadn't seen in a while (Like Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood), some were classics I for some reason had never seen (like Das Boot and The Great Dictator)

And some were movies new to me that I will happily recommend people see. Like Drop Dead Gorgeous (A complete surprise I had never heard of), Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar (this one got on many 2021 lists and it's really hilarious), Der Hauptmann and Ikitie (these last two are more of the depressing historical kind of movie that I tend to enjoy)

EDIT: I want to say that personally 28 movies in a month is insane and probably a new record. And also a record I'm unlikely to break any time soon.
Went to the cinema to see Belle and Sing a bit of Harmony over the last few weeks.

There's a couple of films coming up which I'd like to see too, but with Covid, I need to toss up if it's worth the risk or or not. Depends on the local danger levels.