RPG MAKER VX INFORMATION WEBSITE

author=prexus link=topic=424.msg5645#msg5645 date=1196509213
RMVX does nothing -worse- than RMXP, and many things better. It is worth the $100. A game made in RMVX that is identical to a game made in RMXP will be -better-.

I agree that RMVX isn't really worse than RMXP from what I've heard and seen, just different from its predecessor. I do disagree, however, that it has many good things going for it, because as of yet, there appears to be no information as to how it is in any way superior to RMXP besides what I spoke of. Therefore, I do not understand how RMVX games will be "-better-" than identical RMXP games with the information available, though it is easy to assume that it would be better because it is a newer version, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is better.
Exactly what kentona said, but one thing. The Battle system when I went on www.rpgmakervx.com looks the same as if it was on RM2k. A little weird. (in screenie gallery) Also, the charasets are like little chibi things.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I think the big thing that might be an improvement is the performance. If they've added hardware-acceleration, then RMVX games will become immediately superior to RMXP games.
This looks pretty cool now, but the RTP is all rather mismatched. The simple chibi characters don't match the detailed facesets, and the facesets don't match the realistic-looking monsters. Independently, they are all high quality.

Having said that, for my new project, I probably wouldn't be able to use any of that art stuff anyway.
Who cares about the RTP! If they get rid of the lag, that's a sale right there. Definitely eager about this. It has re-inspired graphics work on my own project, as I translate my current shizzle to the new res.
It's already been said but...

RTP face sets = cool

RTP character sets = awful
author=ankylo link=topic=424.msg5745#msg5745 date=1196814149
author=WhiteLion link=topic=424.msg5740#msg5740 date=1196807747
RTP character sets = awful

lies

...I agree with whitelion.
They're way too cute. And fat.

The RTP character sets in the past three have been pretty good. Usable, and some good edits were made from them.

These couldn't even be edited to look good.
author=WhiteLion link=topic=424.msg5747#msg5747 date=1196817531
They're way too cute. And fat.

The RTP character sets in the past three have been pretty good. Usable, and some good edits were made from them.

These couldn't even be edited to look good.

You do realize the number of people who said the same exact thing about the RMXP RTP, right?
Actually, I liked the RMXP RTP, cause it seemed to blend in well with the tilesets and all...

is it just me, or is the RTP for VX just a pathetic rehash of XP and 2k/2k3 mashed together and chibi-fied...

Either way, I'll probably just convert the XP RTP to be compatible with VX.
I still hate the RMXP charsets more.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=trance2 link=topic=424.msg5748#msg5748 date=1196818232
You do realize the number of people who said the same exact thing about the RMXP RTP, right?
And they were all correct.
author=kentona link=topic=424.msg5827#msg5827 date=1196959786
I still hate the RMXP charsets more.

Yeah, i didn't like them much as well but that is probably because i grew up always using rpg maker 2003.
NEWS

For everyone who wanted to try RMVX, to see what you thought, here you go.

http://tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/data/RPGVX-Trial_v.exe

Enterbrain has released a limited feature trial edition in Japanese. It has quite a few limitations, but it will give you a general jist of the mechanics.

You can't make a gamedisk, there is a limited number of items/armors/etc in the database, you can only have 10 events per map, and only 10 maps. There is only a small sample of the RTP, and games can't be saved or opened. Also, scripts are unedittable but are viewable.
WIP
Time to find out if this puppy has hardware acceleration or not.

EDIT:
Okay after some playing around, this feels much better than RMXP. It runs better in everyway. The RTP is ugly as ass. It seems to be using GDI (software rendering) but is much faster than RMXP. The scripting looks very similar to RMXP's, but more efficient.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Trihan's impressions:

I love how you can change tileset passability directly from the map editor now, that'll speed things up a lot when testing.

Only having to mess around in one layer is more convenient, but I'm not entirely sure how it works yet. We shall see.

There appear to be some automatic event generating options when right clicking a map, but the only one that seems to really do anything right now is teleport.

The layout of options and such seems to be much more streamlined than RMXP. I can't read the captions, but things are subdivided more than before, which should make it easier to navigate.

System scripts look a lot tighter.

Animations look nice.

I can't bloody well figure out how they made that one skill hit three times.

Edit: Turns out the other event options weren't working because the demo has an event limit. There's teleport, door, treasure chest and inn. Handy.
My initial thoughts are that while you guys might not like the RTP for its charactersets and tiles, I really like the facesets and the art for the animations. The monster sets are decent, too.

...I mean obviously the quality of the RTP means very little, but credit where credit is due. Oh, and I like the default font, but that matters even less than the RTP since the good-looking part is for the Japanese text, not the latin alphabet, and they probably won't use the same one for the English release anyway.

Otherwise: I am reassured by the scripts I see here. It looks like it's as robust as RMXP was. And a few of the changes they've made I'm digging--like using more modules that are edittable by the user, such as the Vocabulary, Sound and Cache modules. I guess they caught on to us hacking the Cache module to make custom resources like Portraits and figured "Hey, let's just let 'em do it."

I do wish they had given us access to Input, but then again we can hack that decently well in RMXP, so I imagine it won't be too hard in RMVX either. I wouldn't have minded Graphics, either, but it was a pipe dream to think they would give us much low-level control anyway. I like them giving Game_Message its own class, too. It'll make custom message handlers easier.

...that said, most of these scripting updates look like things I could just transfer over to RMXP, more or less verbatim. I'd be a lot more excited if they showed me that I could hack the resolution (not that I have a problem with 640x480 to begin with) or something. Some of the interface things are neato, but unless the hardware acceleration turns out to work (I have no idea how to test that, so I'm waiting on WIP's response there), or basically just that the engine turns out to be more efficient all around, I don't see a big reason for Power Users of RMXP to upgrade yet. And by "Power Users," I mean people who take full advantage of the advanced features, i.e. scripting.

EDIT: Oh! Areas are back! I can think of uses for those.
EDIT 2: There are some neat new methods for the Bitmap class. Blur, Gradient fills. Sprites also have some new ones, like "wave_amp," "wave_length", "wave_speed", "wave_phase". I'm not CERTAIN what they're for. Is there a built-in thing for making waves for sprites in water? Or is it more like some sort of visual filter for making things all trippy?
And Font has some nice new things, too. A Shadow option, and the font's name can be an array, like in CSS, so that you can have backups in case the user doesn't have the font in question.
I agree with Shadowtext on the graphics. I love the faces and animations. I also love how the interface is friendly to XP users, cause I could understand most of what I needed. The tilesets had me a bit disappointed, though, cause there are only two layers it seems... maybe I'll understand it more when I can actually read it. I do love the passability part, cause that got annoying in XP, having to flip to the database to change that one feature every now and again. I also like the scripting; a lot more organized than in XP. The disorganization of XP scripts is one reason why I am having a hard time learning it. Yeah, I'll probably convert my future projects into VX as well. That being the Secret of Eternity collection. One thing though, I am not using the RTP characters, cause they just look dopey. I'll convert the XP sets, and continue to make my own from there.

Still, overall, I like VX. It has real potential.