ITEM SYNTHESIS SYSTEM HELP

Pages: 1
I searched, but couldn't find anything like this. I need a script for RM2K3 that accepts item X then item Y and produces item Z. I'd like to do this in a way that doesn't involve setting up a different event chain for each bloody item.

Doesn't help that I never ever made a game before.
I don't think thats possible to do without an event for each thing.

Just make it so it checks for both items, after you select what to make.
The point is that you shouldn't know what you're making though. A system that goes similarily to the Coin Mage class in Craze's Demon Tower - you can't know what you'll get, but you damn well want to take the chance.

Obviously you also learn what various combinations make, making it a little less random.

Is that possible without, say, making a list of all possible items and representing them as ???, then after selection have you choose from all possible recipes?
Hmm... I'm really not qualified to answer this question. I suppose that would be possible, you'd have to make something like so:

Make one big menu that, yes, has everything as ??? until you make it. Then make a common event that checks what you combined then reveals it once it's finished.

If thats not clear then I could make the menu in a little project and send it to you, I don't know.
That however makes it neccesary to use one combination for each item, Or have a REALLY REALLY big menu. The first I'm not sure about - it forces you to get just the right items for any specific item instead of having several choices. The second will get anybody who doesn't enjoy making a character in one of the various D&D games to not like the game.

That, or I didn't understand what you meant exactly. By the ???, do you mean the recipes or the results?
Have the menu read only:

??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Then when you make something, repalce it, like

Potion ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Like that. It's the only way I could think of doing such a thing.
Then it is one recipe per ???.

I guess that could work. I could have multiple ??? mean the same thing. I'll just have to cut down the number of possible recipes.

How do you make the ??? into thei normal names though? Switches that turn on once you made the recipe and reactivate for every map I guess?
Continuing from the issue, I still don't get how to add/edit menu options...
I'm not sure what the question is. How to edit menu options in the basic default menu or in this custom item creation one?
To not have to check every combination one by one, you could assign numbers to the ingredients. The numbers would be powers of 2. Then add those numbers together to get another number (number+number=number?! I'm so smart!). Then with that number, decide what the player gets. I'll give an example since I don't know how else to explain it properly.

Possible ingredients:
Apple = 1
Orange = 2
Cherry = 4
Dried raisin = 8
Watermelon = 16

Possible results:
3 = Sword (Apple + Orange)
5 = Book (Apple + Cherry)
6 = Spoon (Orange + Cherry)
12 = Fork (Cherry + Dried raisin)
18 = Glove (Orange + Watermelon)
14 = Bowl (Orange + Cherry + Dried Raisin)
31 = Bomb (Apple + Orange + Cherry + Dried Raisin + Watermelon)

No matter how you combine them, you won't get the same result from different combinations. With just these 5 ingredients, there are 31 possible results (actually 26 if you only count the ones that came from at least 2 ingredients). Of course, not all of them have to be successful results.
Funny story: I trial-and-errored a system like that where I wanted to add 2 variables with a unique sum to determine the combination. But instead of using clever math like you just displayed, I used 3 hours of plugging and running.

A failure of high-school level skills, or a triumph of human ingenuity over petty mathematic principles?
post=95408
To not have to check every combination one by one, you could assign numbers to the ingredients. The numbers would be powers of 2. Then add those numbers together to get another number (number+number=number?! I'm so smart!). Then with that number, decide what the player gets. I'll give an example since I don't know how else to explain it properly.

Possible ingredients:
Apple = 1
Orange = 2
Cherry = 4
Dried raisin = 8
Watermelon = 16

Possible results:

No matter how you combine them, you won't get the same result from different combinations. With just these 5 ingredients, there are 31 possible results (actually 25 if you only count the ones that came from at least 2 ingredients). Of course, not all of them have to be successful results.

Yes, but what if I don't want an apple and two oranges to equal an apple and a cherry?
Can I still do it this way?
Or do I need to continue with:
If Item Z is in inv
post=95408

Possible ingredients:
Apple = 1
Orange = 2
Cherry = 4
Dried raisin = 8
Watermelon = 16

Possible results:

No matter how you combine them, you won't get the same result from different combinations. With just these 5 ingredients, there are 31 possible results (actually 25 if you only count the ones that came from at least 2 ingredients). Of course, not all of them have to be successful results.

Yes, but what if I don't want an apple and two oranges to equal an apple and a cherry?
If Item Z is in inv
If item Y is in inv
If variable (skilllevel) is >A
- Item Z
- item Y
+ Item X
Add 1 to variable (skilllevel)
Else
- Item Z
- Item Y
Showtext: FAILURE.
Else
Not enough materials.
Else
Not enough materials.
Branch end

Heh, sorry, must've been confusing.
The skill level thing already works, but I was just wondering if I could use a similiar system with my game.

Also, how do I code it so that you can use 8 of the same item for synthesis, using my method?
Like, one item uses 8 pieces of Iron Shavings. But I don't know how to check if they have all eight.
Any help would be appreciated.
post=95420
post=95408

Possible ingredients:
Apple = 1
Orange = 2
Cherry = 4
Dried raisin = 8
Watermelon = 16

Possible results:

If Item Z is in inv
If item Y is in inv
- Item Z
- item Y
+ Item X
Else
- Item Z
- Item Y
Else
Not enough materials.
Else
Not enough materials.
Branch end

Huh. I hadn't thought about using the same ingredient more than once. However, I don't understand your question. In your first line, it sounds like you're asking about using an ingredient more than once. But you then ask about checking skill levels? :(
Just don't let players use more than one of the same ingredient (that's how binary works after all).
I was wanting to know how to add in this extra menu option of item synthesis. As for the binary, I really like that. Thanks!
post=95420
If Item Z is in inv
If item Y is in inv
- Item Z
- item Y
+ Item X
Else
- Item Z
- Item Y
Else
Not enough materials.
Else
Not enough materials.
Branch end

Heh, sorry, must've been confusing.
The skill level thing already works, but I was just wondering if I could use a similiar system to the one you described in my game without changing much.

Also, how do I code it so that you can use 8 of the same item for synthesis, using my method?
Like, one item uses 8 pieces of Iron Shavings. But I don't know how to check if they have all eight.
Any help would be appreciated.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
You'd need a new variable for quantity of an item held. Then you'd set it to the number of Iron Shavings in stock, and set a branch to check for >= 8 of that item.
post=95932
You'd need a new variable for quantity of an item held. Then you'd set it to the number of Iron Shavings in stock, and set a branch to check for >= 8 of that item.

Hurr...This seems harder to do in VX than you make it seem...
Pages: 1