HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING ON YOUR GAME?

Pages: first prev 123 last
My mindset for doing Grimms has been months now. I didn't properly start the game until about.. Late July. And I can't say I've done too much in that time. I don't exactly know how long I'd want it to be.
I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I've been working on my current project since... May 2002? That's a pretty liberal estimate, I don't have any of the work from that far back, and the original game I released at that time was Terribad, but it had the same name, and the current project is really a major evolution of the original.

Of course, during that time I:
-Made a crappy demo that no one liked (not even me, total nubcake game)
-scrapped that demo, recycled some themes and characters into a new teaser demo that was almost unanimously awesome (game2)
-made a two additional demos from that game, a shorter one, and a longer one, reaching almost 3 hours in length.
-scrapped that game and turned the series into a trilogy, starting work on the first game, which had little to do with the first one.
-made 2 demos for that game, 2 years later the full version was released.
-started work on Vengeance (the second part, and re-imagining of game2) made a demo a few months later.

maybe I'm just lazy, but in the past few years I really haven't done much of anything on the game. I made the magic system a few days ago, and that was honestly the most work I did on it in the last 6 months.
Since early 2006. Way too long. >=[
Worked on my games for like a year or two but then marriage and work stepped in so i was unable to finish.
4 years in March.

Tried in webcomic, flash animation, 3d, pixel-machinima, storyboard, digital storyboard....

I'm trying in Visual Novel now...

The stories stayed the same since 2007, and the music since 2005.
I've been working on Singularity (my main project) for around, uh, around 4 years now, I think. Most of that time was spent on planning and multiple tries and failures to make a game I'm satisfied with though (I'm a horrible pedant when it comes to Science Fiction and video games I'm working on in general - everything needs to be perfect >_>).

My yet-unnamed horror/detective game (the one from which I posted some SSs in the screenshot thread) is relatively new. I've picked up some concepts from earlier projects, but for most of it the project's barely a week old. It'll be shorter and less of a simulation than Singularity though, so a lot of planning won't be required and I think it'll take me around a year or maybe two to complete it (if I keep my current pace, that is).
The first version of Gunslingers was released in 2002. I am still working on it (not the same version, but the same idea).
Not so long, but alone... 2 months.... But the game is Still a 3 minutes animation XD
Um, define please. I've been working on my current project somewhat fitfully since near the beginning of June 2009, but the gameworld it takes place in has been getting developed since sometime late 2002.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Vindication, the finished game that I just posted, I spent about two years working on back in 2001-2004. Then I lost about four months of that work due to hard drive failure, and quit working on it. In May of 2009 I picked it back up again, redid most of what I'd lost, added quite a bit more, redid a lot of the writing to not sound like a high school kid had written it, and I finished it in November. So probably about two and a half years total of actual work.

I don't understand people who put so much effort into making a game and then don't put in the relatively small amount of extra time to make it long enough to enjoy. I see games with very complicated, well thought out game systems and unique concepts, with a pitiful length like five hours, and I just sigh. My game probably takes about twenty or twenty-five hours for most players. It's comparable in length to FF6's world of balance.
My first RPG (made in flash) took me about a year to finish. I had originally intended it to be a small game which I would complete in only a few months, but since I was making everything from scratch it ended up taking a whole year instead.

As for the game I'm working on now, I've been working on it for about 7 months. It's a pretty big game so it's going as expected so far, and it will probably be finished in a few months.

Another game I made a few years ago (an escape game in flash) took me only three weeks to make. It was a project for a course and I had only three weeks to complete it. I worked over 10 hours every day on it, but I was able to finish it in time.
When I first got into gamemakking I spent about a year messing around with an RM2k3 project called 'Death Trip' (after the Stooges song! that was the only good part of the game).It was sort of noirish epic fantasy, but stopped when I realised I didn't really care about the fantasy part at all: I just spent months working more and more on the noir opening city and subplots about demonic detective agencies etcetera. I also felt kinda stifled by rpg gameplay mechanics. After that I made 'Escape From Death Mountain' in about two weeks when I was learning to use AGS, 'Biggles On Mars' over about one and a half months, 'Paul Moose In Space World' in about 10 days I guess, 'Bubsy The Bobcat In Rip Van Bubsy Starring Bubsy' in about a week, 'Twenties Flappers Vs The Mummy' in about a day. All of those were for contests though.
Between those games I "worked" (obsessively rewrote and made some models and sets for) a game called 'Rocket Science', which was going to be a fully stopmotion noir thing about amateur rocket engineers in Weimar Berlin but which never really got father than ideas because of the scale required, for about a year.

At the moment I've been working on a medium-length claymation game called 'Loin Of The Surf' for about a month now. I haven't been working on it as much as I'd have liked because of studies etc but those finished yesterday and I'm hoping to get a lot done over the holidays. ps the game has nothing to do with loins or surf, I just stole the title from a random Swell Maps song (swell maps rule). I'm deliberately trying to do something not excessively huge or ambitious so that I don't get caught in DEVELOPMENT SWAMP though so I think I can finish it with about three or four months of solid work (not likely :( )
I've been working on Majesty for about a year and a half, maybe two years. Of course, that's with periods where I didn't do very much work on it. I also spent a lot of time on the story and developing backgrounds and such, despite the fact most of it won't make it into the game.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I've been working 4 days nearly non-stop

still nowhere near done too...
Pages: first prev 123 last