WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Amulet of Fate...yeah...remember that open world-like RPG game I was making in rm2k3 for almost 10 years now? I'm back at it recently. I'm now trying to wrap up all map design so I can focus on eventing and plotting out the full main story arc. Wish me luck!
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Working on a system where the character can "pick up" objects and hold them above their head. For technical reasons, I need the held obejct to be either a separate event, or a picture. The problem I'm having is that, if I use a picture to represent the object, it shows up in front of "star" tiles in the tileset. If I use an "above hero" event sprite for the object, the same problem is observed (pictured), and if I use "same as players", then it appears behind the character, which is not what I intend (I tried using "forbid event overlap", but it seems to do nothing for whatever reason). I want it to appear in front of the character but not in front of the trees.

Any ideas?
Gretgor
The event follows the character just fine, my only problem is that it clips through trees like that :(. If I try using the "same as characters" layer, it gets obstructed by the character, and if I use "above character", it shows up in front of things that should hide it.
I'm more or less working on battle sprites for my game. Specifically the main character who sports a whopping 9 different outfits each of which will have different animations for pretty much everything. I want to have at least 2 (besides the default available) for my first demo.

Default:

Casual:

Otaku:

Sporty:

So far I'm at 40 sprites just for a default clothes alone. (and that's not even counting portraits which is a whole another animal.)
Beloved Rapture chibi chars~ (WIP)

It was kinda tough to translate the original artist's costumes into something so condensed, but I think they've came out decent so far. XD

author=Chilly-Pheese-Steak
So far I'm at 40 sprites just for a default clothes alone. (and that's not even counting portraits which is a whole another animal.)

but on the plus side they are super awesome

Refining my pixel art, one object at a time.
it's not rpg maker but 2 weeks ago on a whim i started working on a project with the premise "not space invaders"
some time has passed and now i have something to show for my endeavor

it's an arcade-style orbital shooter i've been working steadily at improving and adding to since its inception, which is good because it's coding practice as well as an opportunity to make a lot of fun sprites

soon i intend to start working on the story mode (which means upgrades and bosses) after i finish with today's content additions a main menu

here's the link on itch.io if anyone wants to give it a try! input is always encouraged
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Gretgor
The event follows the character just fine, my only problem is that it clips through trees like that :(. If I try using the "same as characters" layer, it gets obstructed by the character, and if I use "above character", it shows up in front of things that should hide it.

Maybe you could have events on the ground around things that it goes over that turns it to below character. Though that sounds like a pain and more work :(
author=Gretgor
Working on a system where the character can "pick up" objects and hold them above their head. For technical reasons, I need the held obejct to be either a separate event, or a picture. The problem I'm having is that, if I use a picture to represent the object, it shows up in front of "star" tiles in the tileset. If I use an "above hero" event sprite for the object, the same problem is observed (pictured), and if I use "same as players", then it appears behind the character, which is not what I intend (I tried using "forbid event overlap", but it seems to do nothing for whatever reason). I want it to appear in front of the character but not in front of the trees.

Any ideas?

class Game_CharacterBase

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Get Screen Z-Coordinates
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def screen_z
@priority_type * 100
end

I added an extra variable I can access with a script call "$game_map.events[n].my_z = x"

(There may be a better way to do this, but this is how I've done it.)

attr_accessor :my_z

def screen_z
(@priority_type * 100 + my_z + (y * 3.5))
end

Mess around with that to solve your problem.
author=Sated
Based purely on the graphics, I don't think they're using an RGSS engine.

Good point... I assumed something like that would best be handled by a more flexible engine. I think if it's 2k3 or 2k then you may just have to compromise with the "same as hero/player"... Or look for some kind of plugin. or maybe the tops of your tree's can be events with higher id's than pick-up-able objects (or pictures), so they appear higher.
Gretgor
I eventually figured out a way to solve the problem. Thanks to all of you anyway!

Either way, having the object one square above the character (in the Y direction) wouldn't work, because that'd cause the character to partially occult the object, and having it attached to the same square as the character (as in, make it so that the object is "floating" in the character sheet) yielded the same problem. I ended up having to make individual sprites for every held object. It's kind of a lame solution, but it works :\
Gretgor
Yeah, those technical reasons were the fact that I am stupid and too lazy to make individual sprites for that. Also, me being afraid to forget to unset the sprite once the object is put down.
Been making original music for my game. Got a lot more, but here's a couple boss battle themes, one of them more serious, and one of them for a more light-hearted encounter (one-off).

http://rpgmaker.net/users/Gredge109/locker/VeritasTheDeterminedFew.m4a

http://rpgmaker.net/users/Gredge109/locker/VeritasBattle2.m4a