GIVING FEEDBACK: PASS OR FAIL

Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
I hope you won't mind, JosephSeraph, but I'd like to share the comments you left on youtube as it's pretty relevant:
Of course. You didn't buy anything to heal yourself, you didn't equip your mages, didn't buy skills, picked bad classes..... I was literally screaming while watching the video, and almost rageclosing the window. I mean, you SPAMMED ATTACK in your first battle. You could have taken a peek at the status window and see wich characters have bad and good STR. Then defend with the ones with bad str. :/

About the bold:
Holy smokes dude, it's not even your game ^___^'!

In the video, starting at 11.58: ''You'll notice I didn't complain I got killed by those knights.'' So yeah, that really was non-issue for me (the whole dying early thing). It's certainly not something I would hold against the game.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1855/

I'd really appreciate you giving World's Dawn a shot. I haven't gotten very much feedback on the demo at all and would really like an experienced reviewer's honest opinion. Thanks!
It would be amazing if you do a pass or Fail About Resident Evil: After History

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2853/
Creation
World's Dawn by Sagitar

(the three stars are badges, see first post for more information). I've also decided to implement a new rating system, see first post for more information.
Creation
Legend of Zelda by Link_2112
author=Racheal
Regarding the sound issue, I've noticed it seems to only be VX games that have this issue. Is it possible you have BGM and ME turned off in the Game Properties (F1) menu?
I don't know if you saw this post or you already tried it, but just in case. Chances are if you uninstalled things that's not the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.

More on topic, could you pass or fail my game Castle Chase?
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2106/

I just want to give a quick foreword of "use the 'S' key to use/show items and 'A'/'D' to cycle them", since it's only stated in the readme and not the game, and it's been a common complaint I've heard. (A mistake I will never make again.)

P.S. Call me a sucker for watching someone else play games, but I've really enjoyed these. It's interesting to see someone's thoughts on a wild variety of games.
Thanks for that, Creation! :) It was interesting to see how someone new responds to the game mechanics. I'll address a few things you talked about/I noticed.

First of all, the hit detection.
Unfortunately, that is a problem with RM2k3 and there is no reasonable fix for that. The reason you are getting hit when your almost 1 square away is that when the enemy event wants to move, it's "hitbox" is already on the square it wants to move to before its sprite gets there. This is only a problem with slow moving monsters as it takes time for the sprite to move, whereas the "hitbox" is already at the destination. So your walking into that "hitbox". The "fix" for that is to attack early and strafe into the monster. Once you understand the problem it's possible to counter-act it, maybe I'll try and make a training room where the player will learn that. You could also use the boomerang to stun the monster and then go in for the kill. It can't damage you (or move) while it's stunned :) Later on in the game your items become good ways of dealing damage, especially the candle. It gets pretty strong.

I would like to make this game in a better engine, like GameMaker, but I just don't have enough experience with it to make that happen. Plus GM uses animated .gifs so I'd have to convert my chipstes into .gifs which is something else I don't have expereince with.

The reason you can't go into the main menu during puzzles/battle is cause the menu is a new map so pressing 1 teleports you. When you teleport back events get reset and it causes major glitches.

I noticed you didn't use the boomerang skill that the NPC gave you. I made it specifically for that long ass boomerang. While the boomerang is out you press SHIFT a second time to have it return to you(I noticed I didn't make that 100% clear in the NPC text). Also, try using the boomerang in an offensive way, it makes battle less painful.

I was worried you wouldnt figure out you had to backtrack after getting the best boomerang, backtracking after getting something new will be a big part of the game. You also missed the Red Tunic! It was in the room where you use the boomerang to hit that black switch to open the stairway into that cave. You threw the boomerang up right next to it too xD

I'm glad you enjoyed it but most of all I'm glad you said my name right! Nobody ever says "twenty-one twelve". They always say "two one one two" hahah Future versions will definitely have more onscreen information about what buttons to press. Story is something I don't plan on writing until everything else is complete, but it will be there.

Thanks again! ^.^

*edit: LOL

@Rhuan - I never really considered Sphere. I know nothing about it. Perhaps I'll check it out.

@Darken - Why have you taken such a sour interest in my wanting to make a Zelda game in RPGmaker? I don't see why you care so much about how I spend my time. "Whatever" indeed.

@Creation - The main focus of the game is not fighting, it's the puzzles/exploration. How would you feel if you were playing a Zelda game where there was NO fighting? That's even worse than the somewhat sloppy hit detection.

It's all good. I'm looking forward to the final release of RM20xx. Maybe the hit detection will be different *crosses fingers*
Link_2112: noting your comment on wishing you could make this in a better engine, here comes a shameless plug, how about Sphere? Switching would of course set your project back quite a way, you could convert the chipsets and sprites very easily though.
GM doesn't have to use animated gifs. You spent quite a lot of time in RPG Maker to know how to make a game not fit for it. Why not spend time with GM/Sphere/Whatever...
Creation
Well, Link, this does put things in a new perspective. I honestly think the hit detection system is flawed enough with rpg maker 2003 that it would break the game (for me anyways). So yeah, I really think you should look for another engine to build your game.

I don't know if you saw this post or you already tried it, but just in case. Chances are if you uninstalled things that's not the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I feel dumb, that indeed was the problem. Thanks for letting me know about this! I guess I must have been annoyed by some music in some game and just turned it off.
I only know because I've done that to myself when I'm extensively testing things and want to listen to other music, but forget about that fact later and become confused at the lack of sound.
Creation
Castle Chase by Racheal
Creation
Resident Evil: After Story by Felipe_9595
Hahaha, yeah, i forgot to translate some thing ( items description)

Oh wtf happened with the scream thing, i am sure i corrected that

About the dialog thing, is the battle system, it cannot be corrected, but, at least, you can shoot ;D

Thanks for playing the game (for the noise thing, install k-lite Codec pack)

oh, just a strategy, if you exit a room, the zombie position will be reset (not the dead ones ;D)

you forgot the shotgun !!!! xDD

You are right, the rooms are way too dark ( in my pc it just seems fine, but, maybe is my monitor Bright)

Yeah, at this point, the game is still in early development, thanks for playing it

Edit: You were hypped for the semi 3d thing true ????? load the Saves i provided (The ones with the END Tag, or finish the game) and then CHoose "Last Hope")
author=Creation
I hope you won't mind, JosephSeraph, but I'd like to share the comments you left on youtube as it's pretty relevant:
Of course. You didn't buy anything to heal yourself, you didn't equip your mages, didn't buy skills, picked bad classes..... I was literally screaming while watching the video, and almost rageclosing the window. I mean, you SPAMMED ATTACK in your first battle. You could have taken a peek at the status window and see wich characters have bad and good STR. Then defend with the ones with bad str. :/

About the bold:
Holy smokes dude, it's not even your game ^___^'!

In the video, starting at 11.58: ''You'll notice I didn't complain I got killed by those knights.'' So yeah, that really was non-issue for me (the whole dying early thing). It's certainly not something I would hold against the game.

Well this was an awesome find! Ah ha ha. Good thing I check back here every so often to see if you make any new videos. It's fun to see someone else try to defend, or even get upset over your game. Mwa ha ha. It's an awesome thing.
Creation
@Creation - The main focus of the game is not fighting, it's the puzzles/exploration. How would you feel if you were playing a Zelda game where there was NO fighting? That's even worse than the somewhat sloppy hit detection.

Hmm... what? Sorry, but I read my comment again and I don't understand your reply. Why are you talking about no fighting?

You know you could have fights by using another engine right? What I was saying is that you might want to consider using another engine for your game because RPG Maker doesn't seem adapted for what you're trying to do considering the pretty serious hit detection problem. The boomerang animation was also a bit choppy because of the tiles system.

Even if your game is focused on exploration, it doesn't mean that it's ok if combat is buggy (which it is and it's not your fault).

Besides, Darken seems to suggest a pretty reasonable solution. Am I missing something here?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
@Link_2112

Y'know, if you're really intent on continuing this in RM, there's a simple thing you could do to improve the hit detection:

make the enemies move faster.

The reason the player sometimes gets hit prematurely and why their attacks occasionally miss are the same. Events in RM are always registered to one square on the map. If an event moves from one tile to another, it is immediately registered on the tile it is moving to even before the movement has fully taken place. Therefore, if the player tries to move onto a square that an enemy is about to occupy, they'll get hit by the impending foe, even though it doesn't obviously occupy this space yet. Likewise, if the enemy is moving away, an attack could appear to hit even when it missed.

This is only a problem for you because the enemies move so slowly. If they occupied the squares they were registered to more quickly, then the hit detection issues would be much less obvious.
link_2112: If you want to check out sphere at any point I'd be happy to help you get started with it. I don't have the time at the moment to write an action battle system for you in it, though I could teach you how to go about it. (and I may have the time in a few months)
Creation, I'm talking about no fighting just to make a comparison. I know that this game would play better in a different engine and someday I will make games in a different engine. I rather enjoy coding in RM, I've been doing it for years and want to actually finish a damn game. If I just abandon this and move to other I'll never get anything done. Plus, I don't have the time to become as proficient in something else to finish a game in a reasonable amount of time. I can't just walk away from RM2k3 with nothing to show for it. What your missing in my comment to Darken is that they have expressed a negative opinion in the past about me making a Zelda game in RM before. Also, that reasonable suggestion was wrapped in a blanket of animosity. Quite frankly, if I choose to make an inferior game I don't see why total strangers become so involved and try to convince me to stop making the game. I want to push the boundaries of RM2k3. Also, I find it funny that other RM2k3 ABS games get praised while mine is shat on :D I could care lessdon't mind and have no plans to alter my course. This is a labor of love. Can't stop me now.

Hali, yep. It's only the slow monsters that have this problem so later in the game it's not even an issue. I wanted to have a curve of difficulty so I plan on keeping the monsters slow at first and soon their speeds increase. Educating the player to this problem and providing tools to relieve the issue is what I plan on doing. If you use the boomerang to stun monsters then hit detection doesn't even exist!

Rhuan, thanks for the offer. I'll have to take you up on that!

I don't mind if a person writes off the game because of the hit detection. You are free to do so, just as I am free to make a shitty game in a shitty maker HA!

Now please, lets end it here. Back to passing and failing.

*edit: LOL fixed.