THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=slashphoenix
Is the ground done? 'Cuz it looks mega weird with no detail compared to the super-detailed/shaded trees.

Although I do think the trees themselves look cool as heck.

Nah, the ground isn't finished yet. It's been part of my style for a long time to keep the ground as simple as possible, but I'm thinking of changing it up a bit. I'll post the results when I do, of course. (Either way, once ground effects like rocks and bushes are done it will be more vibrant.

EDIT: Page sniped myself:

author=MrCharlesMugford
Did someone tear out your imaginations with a pair of garden shears or something guys?

It's seriously weirding me out and concerning me that there is this sudden backlash against using different terms for the fucking health/mana bars

Kinda this. I suggest from now on we all name our games "Legen of <insert random crap here>", because changing the name just to be different is unnecessary.

Merely changing the name of the bars may not be innovative enough, but at least it's one step away from everyone and their mom simply using HP / MP.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
@JustRob:
Don't try to twist irrelevant facts to make a point. There's a vast difference between changing title names (which are used primarily as a descriptive feature and have the virtually sole purpose of getting attention via standing out) and commonplace mechanics (whose names are irrelevant since you're more focussed on their function than whatever misleading name they may have).

@Charles:
I'm with wes; the coloured trees look fucking rad. If you can deal with mapping with them I say go all for it.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
The names do end up being irrelevant for the duration of the game, so what does it matter if the titular HP/MP formula isn't used? Are you going to start attacking the SMT series there, too? Lore is just as important to a gameverse as mechanics are.
author=Brady
@JustRob:
Don't try to twist irrelevant facts to make a point. There's a vast difference between changing title names (which are used primarily as a descriptive feature and have the virtually sole purpose of getting attention via standing out) and commonplace mechanics (whose names are irrelevant since you're more focussed on their function than whatever misleading name they may have).

@Charles:
I'm with wes; the coloured trees look fucking rad. If you can deal with mapping with them I say go all for it.

Their name should also be in correspondence with their function.

And anyway I don't see what's wrong with naming it how you want just because there's a "standard". Mana and MP are both equally often used as the name of the points you use for magic attack, so is either of them wrong?

As long as you don't go too overboard and people can recognize that it's your health or your energy, I honestly don't see the problem. I can't believe you'd make a fuss about something so insignificant, while there are so many other important aspects of a game that deserve more attention.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
author=JustRob
As long as you don't go too overboard and people can recognize that it's your health or your energy, I honestly don't see the problem.

Hey, if you actually read any of the posts I made regarding that discussion, you'd see that I don't disagree with you one bit. I only think there's a problem when the choice of name becomes too obscure or misleading, when it's the same standard mechanic as always used.
Calling it life, health, energy, stamina, hit points, body, strength, wounds etc all work. Calling it Zen Force because you think it sounds cool is when it starts to get confusing because you're not sure whether it's health or something new, but even then that doesn't matter much as long as it's adequetly explained early in.

My problem mainly comes when a lot of things in a game get completely new and (this is the important bit:) weird/misleading names purely for the sake of "standing out" or being unique, when all the mechanics are the standard. It comes off as gimmicky and pointless.

Saying that; if those new and weird names match up with some context in the game's storyline though, then I don't see much of a problem. S'why I was only discussing it hypothetically, and specifically not saying anything about MrDetective's game: because I don't know enough about it.
T-The trees all have grumpy :3 faces. Dat's kinda cute. Intentional?
author=Liberty
T-The trees all have grumpy :3 faces. Dat's kinda cute. Intentional?

It wasn't intentional, but I did realize that they were there once I shaded everything.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
I like them even more now that they look like angry grumpy faces. Got a sort of mario/wario vibe goin' on now: trying to be scawwy but is just so colourful and cuuuute~
author=Mr_Detective
author=Mr_Detective
Ok... I finally put the border on the battle hud, but the face itself is a little smaller, as expected. How is it? :D

Uh, guys...? A little help here? :P
too sparkly for my tastes but I can live with it. Everything is well organized and I can understand the text.
author=JustRob
Mana and MP are both equally often used as the name of the points you use for magic attack, so is either of them wrong?

That particular case poses no problem because you can easily pass "MP" as Mana Points, like the million games that already do so. In fact, the Mp acronym is so versatile, I love it! It can stand for Magic Power, Mental Progress, Mastery Points, or pretty much anything, even Megabyte Packets if you're willing. =P ...Reconciling "Creativity" with, let's call it: "Clarity", may not always be possible or ideal, but at least it involves more thought than just changing things for the hell of it.
_
@MrCharlesMugford: I don't like those trees. I liked the plain old ones better. =/ ...Well, I have nothing against that leaf-ish texture you're aiming for, but if you could accomplish it with less colors, that'd be great. You're using like twice as many colors in those trees than anything else in your game, and that sticks out like a sore thumb.
author=alterego
@MrCharlesMugford: I don't like those trees. I liked the plain old ones better. =/ ...Well, I have nothing against that leaf-ish texture you're aiming for, but if you could accomplish it with less colors, that'd be great. You're using like twice as many colors in those trees than anything else in your game, and that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I believe in the last blog post on MFD I clarified that we were re-working things now that we backed out of a hasty Release Something Demo. Perhaps I wasn't clear about everything that we were re-working though. The graphics for the other areas in the game will have a similar level of detail to them once I get around to fixing everything up.

Now, being that this particular tile-set is still in the works, I probably will remove a few shades from each of the trees. I still have to figure it out, really, as I'm thinking that because of the complex mapping involved World 2 will probably be one of the last ones designed. There's plenty of room for experimentation in that time period. I'll be keeping the array of colours though, I've already decided that it will look that way.

Like so:
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh, you're making everything with flat graphics and then going back later to make it look nicer

that makes sense

wait holy shit why am I not doing that
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Dude, placeholder art is the way to go. That's why my game is literally 100% Link's Awakening rips atm :P
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yeah the trees look weird

like the colors are fine but they look like a filter, not shading. they're still flat and not like that guy's afro

just make the world of out of that guy's afro plz

...also wow yeah that release something day is happening isn't it wow huh
author=LockeZ
wait holy shit why am I not doing that

story of my life bro
author=Craze
yeah the trees look weird

like the colors are fine but they look like a filter, not shading. they're still flat and not like that guy's afro

Well, I just got the go ahead on a couple of ideas from matrixmancs, so I'll be working on other stuff for the time being. I certainly need to learn how to properly sprite trees when I make a return to this tile-set though.
Hi!

This is my very first post on these forums!

I'd like to introduce myself using the pictures of my first project ever.
Hope you like them. :)

LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Those maps look as though they're mapped in... photoshop? It's like you're masking to make your trails.

It's a neat effect and I like it, even if it results in a harsh border where the trail meets tall grass.

On the other end of the graphical spectrum...

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
whoa uh

Bypassing the entire map editor and making a bunch of really nice looking, very well laid-out, totally non-tiley maps in Photoshop is certainly not what I expect to see in someone's first project

or their fifth