EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN

Yeah what the fuck guys? I'm guessing the ones making jokes are like 2.

@Link_2112: I'm pretty sure geodude's referring to the fact that the OP is bringing out immature conspiracy theories out of his ass to discuss a natural disaster. But feel free to make more inane chipset jokes.

@melltytan's twitter image: You pretty much picked out the 3 coolest game devs on the planet. Hope everyone else is okay though.

Yeah, I was referring to the OP's suggestions for discussion as well. I'm sorry if I was unclear. You seem easily agitated by my actions, seeing as you randomly decided to call me out o.O I'll be more careful in the future.
Sorry HostileFun and everyone concerned, I hope your friends are safe .

I'm sure Japan has alot of Earthquake proof buildings ( Tokyo was fine compared... ) but the issue might be the nuclear reactors now, I think its getting under control. Evacuations must have saved alot of people. Hopefully all will get better again. I'll try help if I can by a donation, might make a difference no-matter how small ( I'm a student lol... ). I'd hate to see Japan go down like that after I really wanted to go their for university, ... -_- Might have to wait a while now, my mums like what if you went this year? you'd be dead!

japan is hugely prepared for earthquakes as a combination of being hugely developed and one of the most vulnerable countries in the world in terms of geological activity. tsunami, however, are extremely difficult to prepare for; they're far too destructive and it's rare for an undersea earthquake so intense to strike so near to the coast
author=Radnen
author=Jericho
text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation right now~~
I'd be careful... I would rather donate directly to the Japanese people, or a Japanese agency, not Western American ones. (Who are spending millions already setting up relief centers in California and Oregon due to 4-8 foot waves). Yeah, pathetic, I know.

American companies just want too make bank and I think our donations are better spent going to the correct people.

That is, if the Japanese agencies are still operational. Don't be so quick to trust the red cross.

the red cross are an international organisation and this isn't even the most egregious mistake
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
Yeah, I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the ''I'd rather not give money, (american) companies steal it'' excuse so they can cop out of making a donation.

EDIT: Along the ''I don't have 10 bucks but I have shitloads of videogames, the internet, a ps3, a recent PC...'' That's also a classic of maturity.
author=Link_2112
Yeah, I was referring to the OP's suggestions for discussion as well. I'm sorry if I was unclear. You seem easily agitated by my actions, seeing as you randomly decided to call me out o.O I'll be more careful in the future.

What's random about it, yours was the most offensive joke post due to vague implications.

I'm sure Japan has alot of Earthquake proof buildings ( Tokyo was fine compared... ) but the issue might be the nuclear reactors now, I think its getting under control. Evacuations must have saved alot of people.

I think the sad thing is that a lot of homes are done for, pretty sure none of them are designed for quakes of this magnitude hence the larger focus on evacuation. Will be hard for a lot people to recover.
author=geodude
japan is hugely prepared for earthquakes as a combination of being hugely developed and one of the most vulnerable countries in the world in terms of geological activity. tsunami, however, are extremely difficult to prepare for; they're far too destructive and it's rare for an undersea earthquake so intense to strike so near to the coast

See: Entire city blocks getting washed away in a single wave

author=Creation
Yeah, I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the ''I'd rather not give money, (american) companies steal it'' excuse so they can cop out of making a donation.

EDIT: Along the ''I don't have 10 bucks but I have shitloads of videogames, the internet, a ps3, a recent PC...'' That's also a classic of maturity.
i'd actually think more of people who admit they can't be bothered than spouting the old 'i don't even have 1 quid,' shite.
i guess it's just so easy not to donate.
(i did it through british red cross, it seems safe to me - i'm still poor as anything but it's not like my £18 would ever go on anything better haha. i hope we can help as many people as possible)
author=Eggbertx
author=Rei-
I hope all the great composers are okay. :(
Composers don't shouldn't get special treatment. Their life isn't worth any more than another's

this. I sincerely hope that everyone who seems worried only about their waifu's VA/favorite game dev/AKB48 member also has room in their heart to be concerned about Japan in general...

(and i hope everyone recognizes that my post was not seriously meant to put game devs on a higher plane either--in fact it was to do the opposite, to poke fun at kojima and all the people who thought of his safety first before that of the people in general :| )
I got called by misao and her family this morning. It seems they managed to get to Osaka during the evacuation. I'm glad my friends are safe.
@ Tardis: What is strange about her name? I think it is rather cute.
author=Hostilefun
I got called by misao and her family this morning. It seems they managed to get to Osaka during the evacuation. I'm glad my friends are safe.
@ Tardis: What is strange about her name? I think it is rather cute.

glad to hear dude!!

about "Misao" c:
Ah, I see. I'm sure that her name is the same as that is just a coincidence.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Seeing the footage on BBC of houses being swept away was legitimately frightening. I hope those who're now homeless manage to recover.
author=Hostilefun
author=mellytan
glad to hear dude!!
^_^
author=Yellow Magic
Seeing the footage on BBC of houses being swept away was legitimately frightening. I hope those who're now homeless manage to recover.

Yeah, Its unfortunate though. I guess most people are now going to live in the mainland in the future, its like the whole east coast was swung and drowned.

Hostilefun, I'm really glad you heard from them! That's fantastic!
author=geodude

This is a very good point and I am glad that someone fleshed it out a bit since I only briefly mentioned it earlier. It's very difficult to do anything about really large earthquakes and this one was the largest Japan has ever had. Unfortunately no amount of preperation is enough for something like an 8.9. Interesting note for anyone that doesn't know: on the scale for earthquake magnitude each value is ten times more powerful than the one before it. So a 3.0 is 10x stronger than a 2.0. The World Series Earthquake from 1989 was a 6.9 which means this current earthquake is 100x worse than one of the most well known quakes of all time.

Somewhat off topic question. Why is everyone on this site so quick to insult and call eachother out? It's always such an aggressive environment around here. We have a very good discussion I think and maybe even some good has come of it so why is there so much animosity towards seemingly everyone? Is it the anonimity of the internet or somethine?
in context: there have been four larger earthquakes ever recorded

author=Hoddmimir
this current earthquake is 1000x worse than one of the most well known quakes of all time.
though in '89 the earthquake itself was probably more devastating because it epicentered much closer to the densely populated bay area, rather than out to sea
author=geodude
in context: there have been four larger earthquakes ever recorded

This earthquake is only the 5th largest recorded, but it is still the largest in Japan. Thankfully many of the larger earthquakes had diminshed casualty rates either because of location or predictions. For instance, The largest earthquake was in Chile, but it had been preceded by foreshocks so the populations was relatively more prepared for it. The second largest was in Alaska and the death toll was about 120 people. Tragic as it is, it thankfully is quite a bit less than caused by this event. The 4th largest in Kamchatka killed noone. So although this is not the biggest earthquake it is one of the most devestating in recent times.
well yeah, that was kind of my point. as a megathrust quake this is in a whole other league of intensity
Oh I see. I misinterpretted what you meant. I read it like, "This isn't that bad there WERE 4 bigger than it." Instead of "This is very bad, there were ONLY 4 bigger than it." My mistake and great point.

The other thing to consider too is that earthquakes that cause tsunamis have the capability to cause a lot more damage than those that don't. As has been said already, there are earthquake resistant buildings and earthquake safety drills and what not. There really isn't anything viable like that for a tsunami.

author=Yellow Magic

It's amazing to think that water is what manages to cause all this damage more than the earth shaking and tearing apart.